October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
04 Feb 2019 08:26 #291444 by Black Barney
It looks like they’re doing a similar thing with Apollo 11. They made that old footage look great.

I saw The Boy Who Would Be King (worst title ever) over the weekend with Emily. Man that’s long for a kids movie. Pretty scary too. I’ll try getting a review up in the next couple of days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2019 09:07 #291446 by Jackwraith
Saw Vice recently, as well. I liked it mostly for Bale's and Carell's performances, as both of them were uncannily similar to the people they were playing (I have no idea how Rockwell got nominated for three minutes of screen time while Carell did not.) But the film overall was pretty routine. I know a couple people that have met Cheney and said that he's a pretty boring guy and that's what the film is, if you know the history, which I do. It's not a bad film. It's just not especially interesting, outside of the couple stylistic scenes (like Alfred Molina as the waiter giving them the menu of possible war crimes.)

Saw Shoplifters on Saturday. It's a Japanese film about a family living on the edge; a lot like The Florida Project. It was quite good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, hotseatgames

More
04 Feb 2019 17:15 #291472 by Black Barney
Don’t worry about Rockwell, they’re all gonna lose to a leading performance by Ali anyway

So weird the noms on some of these

More
05 Feb 2019 08:18 #291502 by stoic

Black Barney wrote: I tried watching Blade Runner again last night. It didn’t even take fifteen minutes before my eyes started closing. That might be the sleepiest movie of all time. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get through it

The recommended therapy is to take the following Voight-Kampff test to determine if you're a skin-job.

www.allthetests.com/quiz30/quiz/13861007...ampff-test-questions

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, charlest

More
05 Feb 2019 09:10 #291512 by Black Barney
Yay I’m a human :)

More
05 Feb 2019 10:23 #291525 by Sevej
Just finished Battle Angel Alita. I'm biased af because I'm a huge fan of the manga, but it's really, really great. Most science fictions makes you think, this makes you _feel_, in a good way. Great world building, awesome action... and, man, Alita is extremely adorable. Rosa Salazar did a stellar job with them. The expression... well, they're just great. So likeable, so young... great stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
05 Feb 2019 12:07 #291546 by DarthJoJo

Sevej wrote: Just finished Battle Angel Alita. I'm biased af because I'm a huge fan of the manga, but it's really, really great. Most science fictions makes you think, this makes you _feel_, in a good way. Great world building, awesome action... and, man, Alita is extremely adorable. Rosa Salazar did a stellar job with them. The expression... well, they're just great. So likeable, so young... great stuff.

Glad to hear it. I'm a fan of the original series, too, but was pretty worried when I saw that they decided to slam four books worth of content into a single movie and to emphasize her regular manga eyes rather than the octopus lips everyone else in the series remarks upon. Thinking about it now, though, I'm not really sure how I would go about it. Part of the problem is that the tone and plotting are so different across the first five volumes or so and doesn't really settle into a consistent groove until the sixth with secret agent Alita. Motorball as a single film seems obvious enough but would have to be a bizarre change of pace for people coming in for a sequel to Alita's adventures as a hunter-warrior. Even the first two books barely work as a single film, the first focusing on the ultra-violence and the second being a teenage love story with minimal fight scenes. Maybe if they introduce Hugo before the final showdown with Makaku? But it still feels like even those two volumes together would need some padding to reach feature length.

TL;DR I really hope they didn't skip on Alita breaking her arm off in Makaku's eye.

More
05 Feb 2019 12:39 #291548 by Black Barney
How old is that girl supposed to be ?

More
05 Feb 2019 15:01 #291559 by DarthJoJo

Black Barney wrote: How old is that girl supposed to be ?

You can look up the actress’ age yourself, but there are a few ways to look at Alita’s age.

One: She’s a few days (weeks?) old as she has no memories from before Doc Ido finds her on a junk heap.

Two: She’s as old as her current body suggests which runs from teenager to early-30’s.

Three: Centuries old as her brain was in bodies fighting in some old wars.

More
05 Feb 2019 17:33 #291573 by Black Barney
There’s an actress?! I thought she was 100% CGI, that’s why I was asking what age are they going for

More
05 Feb 2019 18:42 #291579 by DarthJoJo
Yeah, Rose Salazar. She did the full mo-cap Andy Serkis thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
05 Feb 2019 19:00 #291581 by Black Barney
Anyway I’ll let Barnes weigh in on this one

More
05 Feb 2019 20:07 - 05 Feb 2019 20:16 #291585 by Sevej
YMMV, but I find the facial expressions great.

DarthJoJo wrote: TL;DR I really hope they didn't skip on Alita breaking her arm off in Makaku's eye.

:)

The movie stirs things up and add a bit of original elements. There's even a big, glaring lore difference at the end. With others, they went all in.

Warning: Spoiler!

I really hope that they can go three movies with this one; but I think, if there's a sequel, things are going to diverge greatly.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2019 20:16 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
05 Feb 2019 21:58 #291596 by Jackwraith
Saw If Beale Street Could Talk tonight. I enjoyed it overall. I thought it could have used a little editing as, despite it being a very emotional tale, it started to drag near the end. But it the novel justice and kept me interested. Was amusing to see Pedro Pascal in a bit part near the end, too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
06 Feb 2019 04:59 #291606 by chimeric_chimera

Sevej wrote: Just finished Battle Angel Alita. I'm biased af because I'm a huge fan of the manga, but it's really, really great. Most science fictions makes you think, this makes you _feel_, in a good way. Great world building, awesome action... and, man, Alita is extremely adorable. Rosa Salazar did a stellar job with them. The expression... well, they're just great. So likeable, so young... great stuff.

Is it less cruel than manga? I was afraid 'movie for young adults' will spoil the atmosphere of the original story... You may give me spoilers, if you wish, do not afraid of them. Thanks in advance.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.579 seconds