October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
11 Feb 2019 12:51 #292080 by mezike
We also caught the Lego Movie over the weekend, my kids are just getting a little too old for this sort of thing but still had a great time. It's definitely not on par with the first one, however I did really like the sibling angle that they went for and they pulled on the feels with the whole "one punch to solve everything" thing. I would have liked to see them explore the angle of how this is still a pressure put on young boys as an outlet for their emotions but it might have been a bit much for the kind of movie it needed to be if they had done so. I thought it was a pretty neat bit of work to add some deeper meaning without being overly moralistic about it.

One thing I noticed though was that the overall pace of the movie felt quite slow yet they kept rushing through the jokes. When we were talking about it afterward we realised that there were punchlines that only one or two of us actually caught, especially so with the jokes aimed at the parents in the audience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2019 13:40 #292085 by Black Barney
Jpat, how do feel that Black Sheep will win the Oscar? Is the Academy getting it right?

More
12 Feb 2019 22:52 #292140 by Jackwraith
Saw the live action shorts tonight, too.

Madre- Was moving, if a bit simple. Some films work well in that sphere, though. Everything you needed to see was contained in that one apartment. I was a bit lost on the final moments, though, when they focused on her mother.
Fauve- My favorite, I think. Just a very natural setting for everything that happened and some smart camera work. The backdrop of the empty mine was both eerie and stark.
Marguerite- The best acting moment of the five, when Marguerite reacts to the picture in her album. Also good editing, as they didn't dwell on her reactions. A bit obvious, but a very relatable story for a lot of people and quite the contrast in theme to the other four.
Detainment- I had no idea someone was making a film about the Bulger case. I know the details well, since it took place on Merseyside and I follow the football team there. Because of that, I think I was less interested in the story of this one or at least found it much less jarring than everyone else I was with. A decent film, regardless.
Skin- 'Merica! My second favorite acting moment of the film, when the son returns to his family and flops on the couch with his dad looking at him and then at his mother like: "Where the hell has he been?" Certainly timely. Perhaps a bit too on the nose?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
13 Feb 2019 08:01 #292148 by Black Barney
Marguerite is going to take it I think

More
13 Feb 2019 08:20 #292150 by hotseatgames
Last night I watched Road Warrior for the first time in... I don't know. Probably measured in decades.

I'll definitely be waiting to show this one to the kids... it's more "adult" than Fury Road. The movie itself holds up. By Fury Road standards, this movie is pretty dumb, but it's got style and really set the tone for what people think of when they think post-apocalyptic, so it's still a great time.

And Max's doggo... he is the real star of the show. I had one of those dogs once. He was a good, if somewhat dim-witted, dog, who once snatched a bird literally out of the air.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
17 Feb 2019 17:00 - 17 Feb 2019 17:01 #292476 by jeb
Skip the whole Oscars and just watch videos like this one:
Last edit: 17 Feb 2019 17:01 by jeb.

More
18 Feb 2019 02:13 - 18 Feb 2019 02:15 #292488 by jeb
Watching that inspired me. I am back on films, baby. I just finished YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE and that was a tour de force. It was like Terrence Malick’s STRAW DOGS. Violent on and off screen and just permeated with it. The writer/director Lynne Ramsay just clobbered this thing. Where has she been all these years? Oh yeah, it’s Hollywood, so it’s better to have a hack like McG handle every fucking movie before you’d let a woman run things. She’s made two of the best films exploring the impact of violence on families of the last twenty years, and those are the ONLY movies she’s made. Sorry, just a little frustrated at how hard she has to work to work.

Joaquin Phoenix is a hulking, scarred, broken man. Flashbacks to his abusive father, dead children in Iraq, and some kind of horrible trafficking incident have turned him into some kind of underground, suicidal avenging angel, hired to rescue girls from sex trafficking. The movie starts dark and heads downhill.

Highly recommended if you think violence is bad. If you need gore to get your rocks off you will be bored. It was streaming on Amazon, and likely only there, it is an Amazon Original.

Trigger warnings: graphic violence, children in danger, pedophilia discussion
Last edit: 18 Feb 2019 02:15 by jeb.

More
18 Feb 2019 07:39 - 18 Feb 2019 07:40 #292494 by RolandHemisphere
Saturday found us in a movie mood after a couple quick games of Forbidden Island (I’m still charmed by this game). I browsed Netflix and Amazon, considered First Reformed, Annihilation and Hell or High Water, when Raiders of the Lost Ark appeared. When was the last time I’d seen Raiders?

My god, I love this movie. Not only is it fun as all get out, but it’s a nearly perfect film. Brilliant writing, totally efficient filmmaking, tons of visual style and a dirt simple roller coaster ride. Spielberg/Lucas firing on all (and some borrowed) cylinders, with a cast and crew that’s fully on board.

I’d lament that nobody makes these movies any more, but then, who cares? They made this one and nobody’s going to top it anyway.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2019 07:40 by RolandHemisphere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
18 Feb 2019 08:44 #292497 by charlest

jeb wrote: Watching that inspired me. I am back on films, baby. I just finished YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE and that was a tour de force. It was like Terrence Malick’s STRAW DOGS. Violent on and off screen and just permeated with it. The writer/director Lynne Ramsay just clobbered this thing. Where has she been all these years? Oh yeah, it’s Hollywood, so it’s better to have a hack like McG handle every fucking movie before you’d let a woman run things. She’s made two of the best films exploring the impact of violence on families of the last twenty years, and those are the ONLY movies she’s made. Sorry, just a little frustrated at how hard she has to work to work.

Joaquin Phoenix is a hulking, scarred, broken man. Flashbacks to his abusive father, dead children in Iraq, and some kind of horrible trafficking incident have turned him into some kind of underground, suicidal avenging angel, hired to rescue girls from sex trafficking. The movie starts dark and heads downhill.

Highly recommended if you think violence is bad. If you need gore to get your rocks off you will be bored. It was streaming on Amazon, and likely only there, it is an Amazon Original.

Trigger warnings: graphic violence, children in danger, pedophilia discussion

I haven't seen Straw Dogs in awhile, you mean the Peckinpah film with Hoffman, right? Fantastic flick.

I've come close to watching You Were Never Really Here multiple times but never committed. Maybe will do so now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
18 Feb 2019 10:38 #292515 by RobertB
On a bit of a movie slump. I was playing Terraforming Mars at my brother's house, with my back to the TV. I'm hearing a shoot-em-up in the background, and I asked what they were watching. It was Polar. My brother and nephew said it was okay. It wasn't. Just watch RED, or if you're up for something dumber, Crank.

Then my wife got hold of the remote, which sometimes doesn't end well. Case in point, The Day After Tomorrow. I half-watched it just to see if it had gotten better with age. It turned out that it hadn't. I skipped out on the second half of that double bill, 2012, to play The Witcher 3.

Last on the list was Cliffhanger. I had seen it in the theater when it came out ages ago, but couldn't tell you much about it now. It was pretty meh; plot sucked, characters sucked, and most of the actors sucked. Action was okay, and Michael Rooker does a good job as always, but those are the only high points. If you're really dying to watch a Renny Harlin action movie, watch The Long Kiss Goodnight. Plotwise, it's no worse than Cliffhanger, and has better cast and action. "Better than Cliffhanger" is a pretty low bar to clear, though.

More
18 Feb 2019 10:41 #292516 by jpat
Happy Death Day 2U is, like Lego Movie 2, a perfectly acceptable if entirely unnecessary sequel. It gets points for shifting and playing around with the premise in a fun way, making the emotional content hit a little harder, and retaining a good cast that has good chemistry.

More
18 Feb 2019 11:19 #292521 by Joebot
I've been rewatching my entire movie collection from A-Z, which has led to some fun revelations (I own the A-Team movie???).

I'm in the C's, and this weekend, I watched the Clash of the Titans remake from a few years back. I remember not thinking much of it the one time I watched it previously, but this time, I felt more charitable towards it. This movie spends ZERO effort on characterization or world-building. Sam Worthington is a giant black hole of charm and charisma. But, the movie does have Mads Mikkelson and Ser Davos from Game of Thrones, both playing world-weary, grizzled soldiers, so that's something. And the movie does deliver solid fantasy action setpieces, including a fight with some giant scorpions, and a cool, video-game-style battle against Medusa.

I think I liked the movie more this time around, because it reminded me that Hollywood has seemingly abandoned fantasy as a genre, which makes me sad. I had high hopes after LOTR that we'd see a resurgence in big-budget heroic fantasy, but after a few high-profile flops (Golden Compass, John Carter, Conan, etc.), they gave up and focused only on superheroes instead. I would love to see more fantasy movies like Clash of the Titans. Ideally ones that don't have Sam Worthington.

I don't have much to say in regards to how this movie holds up against the old Clash of the Titans with Harry Hamlin. I haven't seen that movie in decades, and don't have much desire to hunt it down. I DO vividly remember having the graphic novel of that old movie, and reading it a million times as a kid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Jackwraith

More
18 Feb 2019 11:28 - 18 Feb 2019 11:29 #292523 by Gregarius
I had a pretty productive movie-watching weekend.

Widows - A good heist film with some good performances. There were a lot of little things that kinda nagged at me (mostly plot stuff), but that's likely more on me than the film. There are some really good shots here, so it was great to see the director be creative. Recommended.

First Man - It's more of a snapshot biopic of Neil Armstrong than a story about the moon landing, and that didn't bother me at all. I think a lot of people will find it too slow, but I thought it was awesome. They did some amazing camera work to make you feel like you are in the movie, in the moment. I watched a couple of the dvd extras and was so pleased to learn they didn't use any green screen. Amazing. Highly recommended, but may not work for everyone.

Lean on Pete - A small indie movie about a kid in a rough situation who tries to find hope and meaning through his relationship with a worn out racehorse. It's really good, but painful to watch at times as this poor kid suffers through so much. It has that meandering feel to it that you rarely get in mainstream movies. Recommended.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2019 11:29 by Gregarius.

More
18 Feb 2019 11:36 #292525 by jeb

RobertB wrote: Last on the list was Cliffhanger. I had seen it in the theater when it came out ages ago, but couldn't tell you much about it now. It was pretty meh; plot sucked, characters sucked, and most of the actors sucked. Action was okay, and Michael Rooker does a good job as always, but those are the only high points. If you're really dying to watch a Renny Harlin action movie, watch The Long Kiss Goodnight. Plotwise, it's no worse than Cliffhanger, and has better cast and action. "Better than Cliffhanger" is a pretty low bar to clear, though.

This made me think about "What Renny Harlin action movie would I watch," so I looked him up to refresh my memory. CLIFFHANGER is one of the worst movies I have ever seen in a theatre, so... not that one. I would go for... hmm. I would go for watching a movie by another director. He is pretty bad. THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT is probably his peak, but I can't be sure, as I haven't seen NIGHTMARE OF ELM STREET 4, nor his debut, the Finnish-funded-starring-Mike-Norris-who-is-Chuck's-son action vehicle BORN AMERICAN.

This, then, put me in the mind of what's a good schlocky action movie? BAD BOYS type-shit, where stuff blows up good in slo-mo; or FACE/OFF type-shit that makes no fucking sense and who cares, really? Contrast with excellent action movies like FURY ROAD or BABY DRIVER, which are well-crafted. I am talking Golan-Globus/Cannon Films-level stuff that rises above. RED DAWN comes to mind. Wow, that is bad, but it really goes for it through all the badness. KICKBOXER is deeply hilarious and Bolo Yeung kicks ass. THE MUMMY with Brendan Frasier was really good, even if the special effects look like someone spent all weekend on them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, SebastianBludd, Jackwraith, Frohike

More
18 Feb 2019 12:17 #292531 by RobertB
jeb wrote:

This, then, put me in the mind of what's a good schlocky action movie? BAD BOYS type-shit, where stuff blows up good in slo-mo; or FACE/OFF type-shit that makes no fucking sense and who cares, really?

Con Air is our go-to stupid action film. Like you're saying; stuff blows up real good.

I read that Con Air and The Rock were pretty much the epitome of the cartoonishly-violent big budget hard-R film, and it lead to a resurgence of more family-friendly action films, like Pirates of the Caribbean, National Treasure, and as you mentioned, The Mummy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.701 seconds