October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What IOS games have you been playing?

More
10 May 2016 09:11 #227252 by Cranberries
Speeding up your old iPad 2 with iOS 9.3

www.iphonehacks.com/2015/09/tips-to-fix-...dating-to-ios-9.html

This helped a little.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2016 09:29 #227253 by dysjunct

boothwah wrote: Re: Pathfinder recommendations

Thank you.

Query : recommended logic to explain to wife why I needed to spend 25.00 on an app for a game that is currently taking up a fair amount of bookshelf space.

Doesn't take over a table, smells less than your friends.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
10 May 2016 19:06 #227283 by boothwah
My IoS state of game reviews for this month

Ascension is now my go to offline time killer -in the car/on a bus/thanksgiving with the inlaws. I can't imagine playing this IRL, actually I don't want to play any deckbuilders IRl anymore. I have like the forst 3 or 4 expacs and it's in sweet spot - It's my minesweeper/solitaire/mah jong.

Sentinels of the Multiverse - More of a puzzle game in this format - I dig that they are releasing a weekly "challenge" - beat this boss in this environment, with this team. I think that's about all I play it for most of the time. Also, do not want to play IRL anymore.

Marvel Puzzle Quest - This has been fun at times - If the Developers would stay out of the way - It;s a match 3 game, with the twist of having the supes give different power effects - This game should have more of a Gotta catch them all type vibe to it, with the emphasis on spreading deeper wider rosters - that would be most satisfying - and has a built in money gate - buying more roster spots - instead they are going vertical, and it;s really too bad, because they have absolutely no good catch up mechanic in the game. I've pretty much decided I'm not ever spending another dime on it, and will probably just delete it if it keeps going down the road its going.

Mtg Puzzle Quest - What a horrid turd of a game - The spell casting bit is a neat idea - but the board is too freaking small for this type of match three game. And it looks like the only solution they came up with to monetize the thing was selling planeswalkers at $20.00 a pop - BALEEEEETED

PAthfinder - Bought the @25.00 give me all the stuff version - having a good time- still have to play the game IRL because daughter's boyfriend started a campaign with me. I will probably grow to hate him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
10 May 2016 21:04 #227287 by wadenels
I feel the same way about pure deckbuilders lately. I was really high on Arctic Scavengers, for example, but nowadays I prefer the mechanic as a thematic part of a whole rather than a central focus.

More
30 May 2016 22:41 #228389 by dysjunct
Tried downloading Pathfinder, couldn't even make it through the tutorial. Jesus what a boring game. If I had any programming skill I'd write FANTASY WANK and make a million dollars.

I might have liked it if I hadn't played the actual game to death and beyond with local gamers I am pretty neutral on.

Still playing Clash Royale. But I can see the end. As in, past a certain point I will need to either spend money, or reconcile myself to losing 90% of the time, and taking month and months to level up. At that point I am done. But for now it's fun. I'm level 9, running a clan, helping people level up, and murdering fools with my OP royal giant/miner deck.

Also playing Doug Dug. A great, ridiculous, endless runner. Or endless digger. Fun, addictive, $0.99 gets you ad-free play forever. A perfect phone game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, ThirstyMan

More
31 May 2016 12:45 - 31 May 2016 12:45 #228401 by Grudunza
Imbroglio is a fun little turn-based rogue-like, where you try to survive as long as you can walking around a 4x4 room. A monster or two are coming after you while you are trying to get to a goal space, and each particular space you are on when you attack a monster has a different effect, so there is some thought required about where/when to move. Between rounds you can sort of deck-build the layout that you want to play with.

itunes.apple.com/us/app/imbroglio/id969264934?mt=8

Last edit: 31 May 2016 12:45 by Grudunza.

More
10 Jun 2016 20:06 #228835 by dysjunct
Sky Force Reloaded. The best iOS shmup, now better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
10 Jun 2016 20:32 #228838 by jeb
Dang, better than ESPGALUDA 2?

More
10 Jun 2016 22:58 #228840 by dysjunct
Yeah, unless you are unreasonably enamored of SNES-style graphics and games.

More
12 Nov 2016 00:17 #238148 by Vlad
Picked up Steamworld Heist , because I heard good things about it, and got hooked.
It is the first post Xcom turn-based skirmish that I am enjoying without missing Xcom.

More
12 Nov 2016 09:19 #238158 by dysjunct
Steamworld Heist looks slick; I'll have to see if I can get over my hatred of all thing steampunk.

Turns out I am still playing Clash Royale. The main ladders suck and are pay-to-win. But they added a tournament mode that caps cards at medium levels to even the playing field. And they keep adding small batches of new cards every couple months, and make balance adjustments every month, to keep the meta fresh.

Really Bad Chess is free and fun. It has a fairly mediocre AI, but gives random setups of pieces. Like you might have three queens and six bishops (but always one king and sixteen pieces total). Every time you beat the AI, you go up in level, and the higher your level, the better pieces the AI gets relative to yours.

More
12 Nov 2016 15:01 #238182 by Vlad
I'm not sure it qualifies as steampunk, it's more like wacky-cartoonish. I thought I would hate the art direction, but strangely I did not.
It definitely has a style of its own, not a drab-fest or knock-off. But the world itself and the story is... just wacky and thankfully very skippable.

The shooting effects are REALLY well-done, and weighty, so it is kind of uncanny and cool seeing these cartoonish robots blow each other to bits with weaponry that feels maybe even more realistic than that of Xcom. And it gets pretty tough and demanding, too. The missions are quick, tense and the levels are procedurally generated.

I am liking it more and more. My complaints are the lack of permadeath and not enough depth outside the tactical level. You lose money if you fail (at least on veteran) and gain less reputation for every blown-up bot, but I would have loved it if it went all-Xcom. It is perfect for ipad - I don;t think I'd bother with it on PC or console.

More
09 Jun 2017 09:23 - 09 Jun 2017 09:28 #249657 by Disgustipater
I've never understood the appeal of clicker games. You click on stuff to watch the numbers go up? Lame. However, hearing some positive stuff about Crazy Taxi Gazillionaire prompted me to download it to see what these things are all about. I downloaded it on Wednesday morning and I immediately became addicted to it. I spent WAY more time paying attention to, and thinking about, this thing than I ever should have. Luckily for me, by Thursday night, I was over it. The numbers had gotten so large that they became meaningless, which removed any fun or motivation for me to try to make those numbers even higher. It was a good two days, but time to get back to my picross app. Those 30x30 puzzles aren't going to solve themselves.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2017 09:28 by Disgustipater.

More
09 Jun 2017 12:22 #249671 by Thrun

dysjunct wrote:
Really Bad Chess is free and fun. It has a fairly mediocre AI, but gives random setups of pieces. Like you might have three queens and six bishops (but always one king and sixteen pieces total). Every time you beat the AI, you go up in level, and the higher your level, the better pieces the AI gets relative to yours.

I gave up around level 65-70. Dont think I am that good at chess, could never be arsed with the rote learning and look ahead calculating. Seemed like the way the pieces are setup just lead to nonsensical positions with all the front pieces basically able to wade straight into the other side, and having nowhere to hide if you want to strategise.
Isnt Chess960 (Fischer Chess that one isnt it?) supposed to be a well regarded way to do the "random setup" idea

More
12 Sep 2017 12:06 #254110 by JEM
Waterdeep was released on Android recently. I was sitting in my car last night charging my phone (power is out from the storm) and decided to try it out on my tablet. It's a really nicely done app. I jumped straight into playing the game without going through the tutorial, as I'm familiar with the board game. Just about everything in the UI is really well done, and intuitive. Available spaces will glow subtly, when a quest becomes valid for completion it will highlight, etc.

The game itself is, well, Waterdeep, but I was really impressed with the implementation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.510 seconds