October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What COMICS have you been reading? ARCHIVE

More
02 Jan 2011 12:31 #83347 by Chapel
Been reading a few titles recently...

Tron: Betrayal. OK, so I can't enough Tron lately.

Shockrockets: Alien invasion, WWII hero type pilots...win win.

Ocean: By Warren Ellis...I love his oddball style.

And been still catching up on all "The Dark Tower" series, made up to Jericho Hill...Next up starts where the Books did with the Gunslinger. Can't wait.
The topic has been locked.
More
02 Jan 2011 13:58 #83349 by Shellhead
I'm only buying one comic now in the single issue format: T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents. Although DC is publishing the title, it's set outside the DCU continuity, because the comic has an odd history. T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents was originally published by Tower Comics in the mid-'60s, as an appealing cross between silver age superhero action and the espionage genre that had captured the imagination of mainstream readers and movie-goers. The current title seems to pick up with the original continuity but also recognizes the passage of time. And though DC appears to be winding down their Vertigo product line, or at least scaling it back, the new T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents title has somewhat of an adult/Vertigo style, without actually veering into R-rated territory.

Otherwise, I'm done with current comic books for now. DC and Marvel have both given up on anything except generic superhero action, and both companies have given too much control over their product lines to a single writer (Geoff Johns or Brian Michael Bendis). Even at $2.99, the price is too high and the audience is shrinking. I still post regularly at a certain comicbook discussion forum, so I keep looking for signs that things will get better. And the well-stocked local library lets me keep tabs on the industry, at least in trade format.
More
02 Jan 2011 14:02 #83350 by Juniper
I got a copy of

75 Years of DC Comics: The Art of Modern Mythmaking

I'd review it for F:At, but it's a little hard to read in bed:

www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/popcu...odern_mythmaking.htm
More
02 Jan 2011 15:08 #83356 by Dr. Mabuse
Juniper wrote:

I got a copy of

You know comics have truly become a legitimate atrform when Taschen publishes a tome about them.

When does Marvel get their due?
More
02 Jan 2011 15:38 #83360 by Not Sure
Dr. Mabuse wrote:

Juniper wrote:

I got a copy of

You know comics have truly become a legitimate atrform when Taschen publishes a tome about them.

When does Marvel get their due?

When they stop turning their art into incredibly bad movies.

In more serious "get-off-my-lawnery", Xmas presents in the Not Sure household included the first volume of the hardcover Bloom County reprint (bedtime reading now), and the 1916-1918 Krazy Kat reprint. (two more to goooo....)

Man, I forgot how damn funny Bloom County was, and the new reprints bring back a lot of cartoons I'd never seen because they were cut from the earlier collections.

"Death to War Monkeys!" "Mongers."
More
04 Jan 2011 16:09 #83495 by Almalik
Picked up the first three Proof tpbs, and am enjoying those. Finishing the third one now, then I'll have to hunt down 4 and 5. FBI secret agency and Bigfoot investigating strange creature (cryptid) sightings.

About to start the second collections of Okko and The Killer. Both are pretty good (I'm liking Okko more for the art than the story, we'll see if the story improves with the second hc).

Also finally got the 4th Jack Staff tpb (probably my favourite super hero comic out right now).
More
07 Jan 2011 00:03 #83696 by OldHippy
I picked up 4 and 5 of Fear Agent. The best sci-fi comic since Flash Gordon and two new Invincibles.. the series is really picking up to something earth shattering and epic but I feel like I've been waiting for the last 5 tpb's for it to happen. Still, I love that series.

I also got the complete Bone for Christmas and I'm about half way through so far. Really good series that does pretty much exactly what it sets out to do. Worth it.
More
07 Jan 2011 07:16 #83703 by Josh Look
JonJacob wrote:

I picked up 4 and 5 of Fear Agent. The best sci-fi comic since Flash Gordon and two new Invincibles.. the series is really picking up to something earth shattering and epic but I feel like I've been waiting for the last 5 tpb's for it to happen. Still, I love that series.

I'd never heard of Fear Agent. Just looked it up, looks totally awesome. I'll have to track it down.
More
07 Jan 2011 07:55 #83704 by dan daly
I'm not a huge comics guy but I pick things up at the library from time to time. The other day they had hardback collected volumes of the original Turok: Son of Stone comics, so I checked out volumes 1 and 2. Indians and Dinosaurs what could be better! The pacing is a little slow, but that goes with the territory for older comics I think. I'm impressed with how well all the prehistoric animals are drawn. Good stuff.
More
07 Jan 2011 12:02 #83733 by Justin Hankins
I just read Charles Burns' new one, "X'ed Out". I got into him through the excellent "Black Hole", which is damn weird, but Xed Out makes Black Hole look like Peanuts.

Also, I highly recommend "City of Glass", the comic version of Paul Auster's goofed up re-imagining of a hardboiled detective novel. Dave Mazuchelli illustrated it and it's beautiful to look at!
More
07 Jan 2011 12:21 #83739 by Chapel
superflytnt got me interested in a short story he was looking for called Fire and Frost by Ray Bradbury. Just to find out it was made into a Graphic Novel...Not only that but but is sounds like DC did a bunch of Graphic Novels for various Authors:

01 Robert Bloch: Hell on Earth
02 Robert Silverberg: Nightwings
03 Ray Bradbury: Frost and Fire
04 Frederick Pohl: The Merchants of Venus
05 Harlan Ellison: Demon with a Glass Hand
06 Larry Niven: The Magic Goes Away
07 George R. R. Martin: The Sandkings

So I've been hunting this series down.
More
07 Jan 2011 12:45 #83744 by Space Ghost
Thanks for the heads up Chapel -- that is something I will have to track down here in the near future.
More
07 Jan 2011 14:18 #83769 by Jason Lutes
Justin Hankins wrote:

I just read Charles Burns' new one, "X'ed Out". I got into him through the excellent "Black Hole", which is damn weird, but Xed Out makes Black Hole look like Peanuts.

Also, I highly recommend "City of Glass", the comic version of Paul Auster's goofed up re-imagining of a hardboiled detective novel. Dave Mazuchelli illustrated it and it's beautiful to look at!

Those are both great. City of Glass is a fantastic adaptation, though I may be biased (Paul Karasik is a friend). The Mazzuchelli art is indeed beautiful, second only in my mind to the stuff he did in Rubber Blanket.
More
07 Jan 2011 15:07 #83783 by Justin Hankins
Jason Lutes wrote:

Justin Hankins wrote:

Those are both great. City of Glass is a fantastic adaptation, though I may be biased (Paul Karasik is a friend). The Mazzuchelli art is indeed beautiful, second only in my mind to the stuff he did in Rubber Blanket.

I haven't read Rubber Blanket, thanks for the recommendation.

Did you like Asterios Polyp?
More
07 Jan 2011 18:03 #83803 by Jason Lutes
Justin Hankins wrote:

Did you like Asterios Polyp?

I did. It's pretty much perfect, but that's kind of a drawback, because it means it all feels very, very tidy. Hermetic, even. But still a great book.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds