October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What ROLE-PLAYING have you been doing?

More
26 Jun 2018 09:22 #276225 by GorillaGrody
I have a few newish roleplayers I want to get into the hobby, and was searching around for a rules-light system. Things like Dungeon World require studying the Stanislavsky method to really get the most out of them; I needed one that allowed for a little less improvisation on the part of the GM. I was happy to have discovered Maze Rats: questingblog.com/maze-rats/

I really like the magic system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2018 15:40 #276267 by dysjunct
Maze Rats is so, so good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
26 Jun 2018 15:51 #276268 by quozl
I just ordered Dungeon World on Amazon to see if I can wrap my head around what it does different than an OSR game.

More
26 Jun 2018 17:19 #276279 by Jason Lutes
Nice to see folks dabbling in Dungeon World!

If anyone's interested in trying Freebooters on the Frontier, my old school hack of Dungeon World, the playtest version of the 2nd edition is available here . It's just the bare-bones mechanics, so you'll need a passing understanding of DW to run it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, quozl

More
26 Jun 2018 18:05 #276284 by quozl
Very interested! Thanks for the link!

Do you happen to have any suggestions for converting OSR characters to DW? I have a game with my wife and daughter I'd like to convert over and they each have a 5th level fighter and a dragon mount. I was thinking about just halving all their bonuses.

More
18 Jul 2018 22:26 #277881 by san il defanso
Last night a friend of mine started DMing the 5e module Out of the Abyss. This is my first experience playing any of the WotC published adventures (I have previously DMed Lost Mine of Phandelver) and we had a really good time. I am playing a Tabaxi Rogue. For those not in the know, the Tabaxi are basically a race of cat people. My character is going for a Chaotic Neutral allignment, sort of amoral and selfish, curious to a fault. You know, like a cat.

Spoilers for the beginning of the adventure to follow:

Warning: Spoiler!

We had a lot of fun. I'm excited to continue our adventure next week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
31 Jul 2018 13:18 #278837 by dysjunct

quozl wrote: I just ordered Dungeon World on Amazon to see if I can wrap my head around what it does different than an OSR game.

So what do you think?

More
31 Jul 2018 23:29 #278865 by san il defanso

GorillaGrody wrote: I have a few newish roleplayers I want to get into the hobby, and was searching around for a rules-light system. Things like Dungeon World require studying the Stanislavsky method to really get the most out of them; I needed one that allowed for a little less improvisation on the part of the GM. I was happy to have discovered Maze Rats: questingblog.com/maze-rats/

I really like the magic system.

This inspired me to pick up the rules for Maze Rats myself. I don't think I'll fit in a game in the immediate future, but I think between D&D adventures it'll be really good for more low-overhead GMing. Looking forward to trying it.

More
24 Oct 2018 10:36 #284604 by san il defanso
Wow, I haven't checked into this thread in a while. I ended up DMing the Tomb of Annihilation module, and we've been going pretty steady on that for a couple months now. We're nearing the halfway point of the module now, and it's been really fun. Tonight's game was a lot of fun especially.

Warning: Spoiler!

They also had a pretty epic fight where they took down two furious triceratops who charged at them when they found the two trikes' baby. They ended up orphaning the baby triceratops, which is a little dark, but hey, they have two chaotic neutral characters, so whatever. It was an exciting moment for our goliath fighter, who had been wanting to take down a really big dinosaur fight at some point anyway.

Great module, and a very fun session.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
24 Oct 2018 11:00 #284611 by Shellhead
I am doing some serious prep work for a one-shot Call of Cthulhu adventure that I will be running next month. The adventure is originally intended for six players, but it looks maybe ten people are going to show up. So I have been creating a half dozen additional pre-gen characters, along with back stories and plot hooks. I will be running the adventure on Veteran's Day and the characters will be soldiers. The high player count will be manageable, because these characters are designed to be interacting as much with each other as with the adventure. To emphasize the military structure, the players of officers will be sitting at my table while the players of the enlisted men will crowd around a card table. Even experienced Call of Cthulhu players may get overconfident with easy access to military hardware, but things will get interesting when people fail their sanity checks. I will also encourage more of a larp style of play, with players getting up and going to different rooms to represent different locations in the adventure. I am also preparing lanyards and badges that will have character names and pictures. I will make sure that I use a large font for military rank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, Nodens

More
16 Dec 2018 11:33 #288305 by Josh Look
I finally got to play Dungeon Crawl Classics yesterday and it might be the only game I ever want to play ever again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, Da Bid Dabid

More
16 Dec 2018 21:50 #288318 by Shellhead
I have run two Call of Cthulhu one-shot adventures in the last two months. Both adventures feature pre-made characters with linked backgrounds designed to generate interaction and conflict. I had specific players in mind to play certain characters, and the casting was generally spot on.

The first session featured six players, and by the end of the adventure, half of the group was dead and the other half was fleeing in trucks. A dozen NPCs were killed, and the dead PCs were killed by other PCs. Not much insanity though, as I misjudged the odds of player characters going even temporarily insane.

The second session we also had six players. This session was very meta, as one PC was a director and the others were all actors. We agreed in advance that PvP social challenges would not be absolutely binding but instead serve as invitations for roleplaying through a situation. The highlight of this session was actually a read-through of a play, so each player was playing a character that was playing a character. Discord erupted early on, as players realized that I had deliberately given them six variations of the script, with players trampling each other's lines and criticizing the director. At one point, there was an eerie exchange where two characters were simultaneously reading one side of a dialogue while two other characters were simultaneously reading the other side of the dialogue. It sounded like they were chanting a ritual together, and since the play they were reading was The King in Yellow, it actually was a ritual. Nobody made it out this adventure intact, with half the party dead and the other half trapped in Carcosa.

I was originally going to run just one more one-shot in January, but players want more, so I have tentatively scheduled a fourth and fifth session. Though it feels like I will be starting a new job soon, I currently have plenty of free time to prep in advance for these sessions.

More
17 Dec 2018 13:16 #288338 by barrowdown
I have been in a weekly 5e D&D game for the past few months and it has been awesome. We are running through the Waterdeep Dragon Heist campaign. There are four PCs and we have been playing it fairly loose with one PC (the gnome librarian) acting as the actual driver of any forward progress. The librarian and our human druid are generally the only ones allowed to talk to members that are not of our party as the other two of us (survivalist environmentalist rogue and communist environmentalist monk) tend to not play well with the general Waterdeep denizens. It's been fun and my daughter has generally enjoyed hearing the recaps of the previous night's game (shortened down to the silliest moments and most important plot points).

I think we are about half-way through the adventure and the DM wants to run us the continuing story into Dungeon of the Mad Mage when we are done. I might try to squeeze in a game as DM playing through a 0-level Dungeon Crawl Classics game, because as Josh mentioned, it's awesome!

More
17 Dec 2018 16:37 #288354 by Shellhead
Is the gnome librarian a spellcaster?

More
17 Dec 2018 17:19 #288360 by barrowdown
He is technically a cleric with a domain of knowledge and a carefully curated selection of combat-useless spells that a librarian might find helpful in day-to-day activities. We have no real combat magic.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds