October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2653 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
23 Apr 2018 17:03 #268070 by SuperflyPete

Gary Sax wrote: Best arcade racing game ever.

That would be San Francisco Rush, stunt mode

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2018 17:25 #268071 by the_jake_1973
You don't need a 'stunt mode' when the whole game is a stunt mode.

More
23 Apr 2018 22:52 - 23 Apr 2018 22:54 #268079 by Josh Look

Black Barney wrote: Hey if I wanted to be able to play Mario Kart with Emily, what’s my best option? She has a 3DS and that’s it.

1) do I get a 3DS and then we play each other? This means buying a 3DS and Mario Kart

2) If i get a Switch, can we both play together when she’s over with a 2nd controller, or do I need a 2nd Switch?

3) should I just get a Wii U on the cheap with two controllers and Mario Kart?

All of these options kind of suck, maybe I should just find a decent arcade racer on Xbox One given I have that and the controllers already

You could do 3DS, which would require you getting one and the game. The Switch one really is the best though and open up a whole world of multiplayer fun. You’d just need a Switch and the game. You can use the little controllers you get with the system, they’re totally fine. I picked these up, well worth the $12.

The Wii U might be cheap, but it’s still too expensive for how little there was that was worth playing.
Last edit: 23 Apr 2018 22:54 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
28 Apr 2018 16:32 #272157 by Black Barney
So I only need one Switch to play Mario Kart with her? I was worried the Switch I’d like a portable and I’d need two

So one of the fallouts of taking a Disney Cruise is that the Oceaneers Club (kid club) lets them have free access to Disney Infinity on Xbox. So she came off the ship gunning for that game. It’s discontinued now in stores but I was able to dig it up on amazon . I got her the 2.0 starter kit with Stitch (one of her three favourites) and Brave. Then I know she’s going to want me to play with her so I should get someone I would enjoy. Which means flight....

So turns out these figures are like collectables so some of them are crazy expensive. Like the Hulkbuster Iron Man is 150 bucks at least. I knew I wanted some sort of Marvel thing so I picked up Ultron without ever seeing the movie, for like 30 bucks. This entire thing is going to run me about a hundred bucks but I figure it’ll be fun to play together. I hear Infinity 3.0 is much more involved (crops and stuff) so it might be interesting. She’ll love it for sure but I think it’s designed to be played with someone (as opposed to Minecraft which is her current kick)

More
28 Apr 2018 16:53 #272158 by Michael Barnes
I thought you actually couldn’t play Infinity any more with it being offline?

More
29 Apr 2018 10:43 #272191 by Black Barney
You can’t play online since March 2017 but you can play couch coop which is all we would do

I guess they knew that was coming at the time cuz 3.0 seems to have a ton of single player content

More
29 Apr 2018 21:29 - 29 Apr 2018 21:37 #272222 by Sevej
More than two dozens of hours into Far Cry 4... and yeah, the game's REALLY good... and the story... well, it's not mind blowing, and it probably has only 4 or 5 six plot points. But spanning it around hours of open world gameplay really lets it sink in. And in the good tradition of Far Cry, everything is not what it seems, everyone is trying to use you, and you (and everyone around you) are truly fucked up.

Phe starting premise, that when your mother (Ishwari) died, you (Ajay Ghale) return to your homeland (Kyrat) to spread the ashes of your mother in Lakshmana, only to be captured by the crazy despot (Pagan Min) and rescued by rebels (Golden Path) led by 2 good looking and charming leaders (Amita & Sabal)--one of them worship your father (Mohan Ghale) who formed the rebels in the first place... perfectly good premise to start an open world game about overthrowing a dictatorship right?

I have not finished the game, but thanks to the bits I picked up along the way I kind of got the story so I checked the wikia (I know there's a special place in hell for this)...

If you have no intention of playing the game or do not mind spoilers (spoilers are overrated)...

Warning: Spoiler!

How fucked up is that?
Last edit: 29 Apr 2018 21:37 by Sevej.

More
29 Apr 2018 22:06 #272225 by Shellhead
I returned to an in-progress game of Armageddon Empires. Four-player, plus a mysterious fifth faction (from the Cults expansion) that just made one of my units disappear. I'm playing the Human faction, with a custom deck that emphasizes scouting for the early game, air superiority for the mid-game, and several big mecha for the endgame. I've got some good scouting going on right now, but I keep drawing scouts or leaders, with none of my medium-weight armor or infantry units showing up. There have been a couple of skirmishes with scouting units from the Mutant faction. Because of the unlucky draws, I wasn't feeling into it, so I saved and quit after several turns. Will get back into this game at some future point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, hotseatgames

More
09 May 2018 14:07 - 09 May 2018 14:15 #272938 by Colorcrayons
Don't have a lot of time since getting back from Puerto Rico, so I park my butt for an hour or so for some Vidya games to decompress.

This month PSPlus has some decent free titles. I like Eat Them! a fair amount on PS3. It's basically Rampage, but quite a bit better since you move around and destroy a city in isometric view, and are able to craft your own monster. It's reptitive, but if you dig kaiju stuff then it's one of the better games from last gen and maybe even than kaiju games of this gen. It's good for short bursts of boredom.

Now that Wip3out has VR capability, it gives a brilliant reason to get some PSVR gameplay in. It's a much better game now in VR. I'd still rather play Redout though. Better soundtrack and gives a purer racing experience.
Racing in VR doesn't cause nausea as I would have expected. Probably due to 100 yard focal point.

Diablo 3 on PS4 has seen a fair amount of play as well. I still haven't platinumed the game. (I don't view trophies as important at all, but this is the one game I actually and close to getting platinum) after 18 months of play, I recently found out how to play online with others. My paragon went from 230 all the way to 850 after playing greater rift runs with a couple people who are paragon 2500+ on level 150. It was a frenetic display of exploding colors all over the screen. I sat back and watched my paragon bubble explode over and over again. Insane. There must be some cheating going on, because every item they had equipped had three gems in them, and legendaries. How the hell do you get gloves and belts, etc. with gem slots?
Last edit: 09 May 2018 14:15 by Colorcrayons.

More
09 May 2018 14:42 #272940 by hotseatgames
I just got FarCry 4, which I am enjoying so far. I could do without the random eagle attacks. The environment is very cool, and I look forward to getting some upgrades. The upgrade path itself could be a bit more varied; you only get 2 "trees", and the combat one doesn't seem all that interesting.

More
09 May 2018 15:07 #272942 by SuperflyPete
I paid my 4$ so I decided to slog through Far Cry 2 to completion. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you’re an Opus Dei practitioner.

Far Cry 3, however, is gangster as fuck. What an experience.

More
09 May 2018 15:10 - 09 May 2018 15:14 #272943 by SuperflyPete
Sevej: If you want to have your mind blown, at the beginning of the game when you’re sitting at a table with a bearded dude to the right and the blonde kingpin to the fore, when he leaves, don’t run. Just sit there for a long time.

Worth watching, especially if you’ve played it through once. I got up to take a shit and came back to a surprise.

Also, if you have an RPG handy at the end there’s an alternate ending. When I’m done with 3 and Blood Dragon I’ll play 4 again.
Last edit: 09 May 2018 15:14 by SuperflyPete.

More
09 May 2018 17:55 #272977 by boothwah

Colorcrayons wrote: Don't have a lot of time since getting back from Puerto Rico, so I park my butt for an hour or so for some Vidya games to decompress.

This month PSPlus has some decent free titles. I like Eat Them! a fair amount on PS3. It's basically Rampage, but quite a bit better since you move around and destroy a city in isometric view, and are able to craft your own monster. It's reptitive, but if you dig kaiju stuff then it's one of the better games from last gen and maybe even than kaiju games of this gen. It's good for short bursts of boredom.

Now that Wip3out has VR capability, it gives a brilliant reason to get some PSVR gameplay in. It's a much better game now in VR. I'd still rather play Redout though. Better soundtrack and gives a purer racing experience.
Racing in VR doesn't cause nausea as I would have expected. Probably due to 100 yard focal point.

Diablo 3 on PS4 has seen a fair amount of play as well. I still haven't platinumed the game. (I don't view trophies as important at all, but this is the one game I actually and close to getting platinum) after 18 months of play, I recently found out how to play online with others. My paragon went from 230 all the way to 850 after playing greater rift runs with a couple people who are paragon 2500+ on level 150. It was a frenetic display of exploding colors all over the screen. I sat back and watched my paragon bubble explode over and over again. Insane. There must be some cheating going on, because every item they had equipped had three gems in them, and legendaries. How the hell do you get gloves and belts, etc. with gem slots?

The D3 thing - They are modding plus also probably have one guy running as an xp mule (full xp bonus gear, and games, and some slots that normally don't exist in the wild) because the Grifts add up each individual members xp bonus - plus the group xp bonus.

More
09 May 2018 18:23 #272987 by Sevej
I tried that Pete, just for the heck of it.

However, finished Far Cry 4 last weekend! What a game! Almost 100%-ed it, except for that Arena grind weapon! Min might be not the greatest Villain in Far Cry, but I like him a LOT as a character. Got a little repetitive in the end, especially if you sweep everything off map like me.

Compared with 3, much better overall story arc, more beautiful scenery, great gameplay features (auto drive is awesome), and a mini helicopter. I feel though 3 is a little more exciting in environment due to presence of beaches.

More
11 May 2018 14:48 #273154 by RobertB
Sevej -sold me on buying a copy. I'm not all that far into it yet, but...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.514 seconds