October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
05 Jul 2018 19:33 #276945 by Colorcrayons
Sadly, No. But I played more than my fair share of Ultima IV and Wasteland on C64.

Halcyon days where I had nothing but time.

To smell the ozone from a fresh 5.25" floppy drive trying hard to load again...
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, SuperflyPete, BillyBobThwarton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2018 20:19 #276949 by hotseatgames
In the Steam summer sale, my kids both picked up Sniper Elite 4, so I have started back in on that one. My friend also gifted me the season pass, so I now have a ton of new weapons, including a legit silenced sniper rifle. Its stats are not as good as the other rifles, but it's quiet and I can upgrade it after I murder enough nazis with it, so I'll give it a go.

This is one of the most underrated series in video games. If you are looking to jump in, Sniper Elite 3 and 4 are where it's at. Ignore the nazi zombie titles, they suck.

More
07 Jul 2018 09:38 #277069 by Josh Look
Just finished Axiom Verge on my Switch. What starts as “Yet Another Metroid Clone” becomes very much it’s own thing somewhere after the first quarter of the game. The weapons and abilities are very original, the story is actually pretty cool, and I dare say that the game surpasses the games that inspired it. Saying anything else would spoil the thrill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Sevej

More
07 Jul 2018 11:01 #277075 by Jarvis
I’ve played and finished Detroit: Become Human. I thought that game was fantastic. It’s by the makers of Heavy Rain and is that same style (interactive movie with decisions/twitch button decisions). I finished an initial playthrough in a weekend, but felt like there was enough replayability with different decisions that I will play it again. (My brother and I both played it at the same time and even though we made similiar decisions we saw some completely different scenes).

I’m also back to playing Tom Clancy’s The Division again. I’m playing an initial playthrough and trying to get all the trophies on it before the sequel comes out. I’ve really enjoyed this one.

More
07 Jul 2018 11:52 - 07 Jul 2018 11:53 #277081 by Gary Sax

Josh Look wrote: Just finished Axiom Verge on my Switch. What starts as “Yet Another Metroid Clone” becomes very much it’s own thing somewhere after the first quarter of the game. The weapons and abilities are very original, the story is actually pretty cool, and I dare say that the game surpasses the games that inspired it. Saying anything else would spoil the thrill.

I was coming to post the exact same thing about Hollow Knight, almost word for word! You should give that a shot, Josh, if you like metroidvania stuff. Definitely moves the genre forward in a couple of directions (including, interestingly, storytelling and environment imho). I'll have to give Axiom Verge a shot.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2018 11:53 by Gary Sax.

More
07 Jul 2018 13:26 #277089 by Josh Look

Gary Sax wrote:

Josh Look wrote: Just finished Axiom Verge on my Switch. What starts as “Yet Another Metroid Clone” becomes very much it’s own thing somewhere after the first quarter of the game. The weapons and abilities are very original, the story is actually pretty cool, and I dare say that the game surpasses the games that inspired it. Saying anything else would spoil the thrill.

I was coming to post the exact same thing about Hollow Knight, almost word for word! You should give that a shot, Josh, if you like metroidvania stuff. Definitely moves the genre forward in a couple of directions (including, interestingly, storytelling and environment imho). I'll have to give Axiom Verge a shot.

It just came out on Switch, I was planning on picking it up after I clear out my backlog a bit more. Metroidvanias, alongside space 4Xs, are very much “my thing.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
07 Jul 2018 18:27 #277092 by SebastianBludd

Colorcrayons wrote: Sadly, No. But I played more than my fair share of Ultima IV and Wasteland on C64.

Load "Memories",8,1

Anyway, I picked up Bloodborne for $20 on a whim a couple weeks ago and the eldest and I have been trying to make our way through it (I prefer the BB aesthetic to DS1's, but I might give DS3 a go after we finish BB). Even knowing the general idea behind the gameplay in the Souls series (be patient during fights, you will die over and over, look for shortcuts that interconnect different parts of the areas, etc.), there have still been a few sticky spots and it's surprisingly easy to revert to bad gameplay habits from games past and consequently die ignominiously to weak enemies.

But the atmosphere is great, as is the sense of exploration and discovery when you open a new area. Parries are still hard for me to do, though I was able to pull off a few and I actually beat the second boss in a fraction of the number of attempts (2 or 3) I took for the first. We just got to Old Yarnham and I had to break down and look up how to deal with that Hunter on the tower only to read that he's not only easy to deal with, but there's also a shortcut nearby that I've somehow missed.

Oh well, I like my games wild and woolly around the edges - like games I remember playing from the early days of 3D - which is fitting since I haven't seen ragdoll physics like this since I first played the original Hitman fifteen(!) years ago.

More
08 Jul 2018 13:07 #277110 by SuperflyPete

Colorcrayons wrote: Sadly, No. But I played more than my fair share of Ultima IV and Wasteland on C64.

I downloaded Ultima 4 off of a pirate BBS and loaded it from a Bernoulli drive, if that dates me :)

More
08 Jul 2018 13:16 #277111 by SebastianBludd

SuperflyTNT wrote: I downloaded Ultima 4 off of a pirate BBS and loaded it from a Bernoulli drive, if that dates me :)

We had a three-ring binder of pirated C64 games on 5-1/4" floppies that were copied for us by a friend. No instructions for any of them so when we first played a game it was keyboard mashing time to figure out the controls. I still remember how exciting it was to discover the key that opened the hangar in Raid Over Moscow, and I even recall it was an "F" key; F2, F12, something like that. I never could make heads or tails out of Impossible Mission, though it was fun to explore the rooms and get your guy disintegrated over and over by the robots.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Colorcrayons, BillyBobThwarton

More
08 Jul 2018 15:06 #277118 by Black Barney
Playing Ghostbusters on C64 was the nuts

More
08 Jul 2018 16:04 #277122 by Colorcrayons
I'm seeing a ton of good stuff on sale on the PS Store.

I finally pulled the trigger on Sundered based on its provenance by the creators of Jotun (an underrated game).

It doesn't dissapoint in the beauty department, that's certain. It's a nifty platformer that has a lot of prince if Persia and ninja gaiden. Yet a fair amount of powerups thrown in for good measure.

I hate to say that the art adds substance to the design, yet I do think it does. Above and beyond just being pretty, it does add to the gameplay. If you've played Jotun, you might have an idea of what I am trying to convey.

More
10 Jul 2018 17:55 #277263 by Bernie
I just got Slay the Spire it is pretty awesome. It is a total deckbuilder taken to the nines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
11 Jul 2018 07:57 #277287 by Legomancer
hi I still just play No Man's Sky

More
11 Jul 2018 08:22 #277288 by Black Barney
Lego, so what do you do in that game that keeps it engaging for you?

More
11 Jul 2018 09:07 - 11 Jul 2018 09:07 #277295 by lj1983
I was digging through my shed looking for some hiking/camping gear and found my old PSP from deployment. After sitting for over 10 years, it fired right up and I loaded some Pokémon games on it for my son. Kid can't read yet, but he and his older sister were completely absorbed for the hours long road trip we had this past weekend.

I also realized its a perfect Final Fantasy machine for my hour bus ride home everyday.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2018 09:07 by lj1983.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.526 seconds