October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
13 Nov 2018 20:33 #286109 by jeb
RUNNER games are awesome. I thought you were going to blow it on that waffle part though, nice save!

Waiting for 27 GB to crawl down from space to play OVERWATCH's new character. Sigh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2018 20:48 #286110 by Da Bid Dabid
I bought a PS 4 pro w/ Red Dead... The first one was one of my all time favorite games. Haven't had a game system in about 6 years so excited to do this stuff again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Black Barney, Frohike, Ah_Pook

More
13 Nov 2018 21:03 #286111 by hotseatgames
Just played the latest Rune beta. I wish they would leave the servers up for more than 4 hours at a stretch. It's cool so far, but they still don't have the arena in place. That's what I really am looking forward to.... endless deathmatch with people in the queue watching. That was cool in the first game.

More
13 Nov 2018 21:06 #286113 by Da Bid Dabid
^ Was the best part of the Jedi Knight games too.

More
13 Nov 2018 23:02 #286115 by Disgustipater
If anyone picked up Hitman 2 on PC and wants to try out Ghost Mode multiplayer, hit me up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
14 Nov 2018 21:42 - 15 Nov 2018 09:03 #286188 by Da Bid Dabid
If any of you would like to share your PS 4 names for a friends list please post or DM me. I'll prolly only be playing Red Dead for a while but eventually could move into other game stuff.

Mine is: DaBidDabid
Last edit: 15 Nov 2018 09:03 by Da Bid Dabid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
20 Nov 2018 22:09 #286589 by Sevej
So, I got this copy of Tropico 3 in my Steam Library. How it got there, I've totally forgotten. I downloaded it a few weeks ago, totally forgot about it (again), and then on the night of Prophet Muhammad's birthday (that means the next day is holiday), fired it up.

And ended up playing it almost the whole day.

It's on the other kind of city building, more akin to the Anno series, in which you plop down all buildings (instead of zone areas and let things "grow"). But the scale is really small (an island with population of 200 is pretty large), and the site of building is much more interesting. Since we're stuck on an island with mountains and cliffs, building road network is much more interesting instead of the usual grid system. You support the city mainly by mining, farming, manufacturing, and tourism. There's this weird system where you have to build public garage in order for people to commute around.

The small number of people allows the game to track things individually. Click a building and you'll see every single person working/living/visiting it. That can be super annoying as you see builders strolling in the city while you have 4 pending build orders.

You have to manage the usual: housing, health, security, etc. The additional quirk is that instead of the demands, you have "faction demands." The religious dudes want a church, while nationalists dislike you when you import skilled workers. Obviously, it's best to appease the largest faction since it will affect the election.

I played the original Tropico back then when I was in college, but it never clicked. This third one's fun Banana republic sim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983, hotseatgames, BillyBobThwarton

More
21 Nov 2018 12:19 #286623 by Gary Sax
Civ 6's new expansion is... an environment expansion?

www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/11/20/civi...athering-storm-news/

Here's what I posted in the TWBG slack:

It's actually sort of inspired? Not just the global warming stuff or anything either, even though that's my pet deep fear---there are a tons of environmental changes in previous ages that completely changed the course of history and they haven't been in civ before. Think the little ice age or the sea people who besieged egypt and other civs in the BCs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, Frohike

More
21 Nov 2018 13:07 #286630 by Count Orlok

Gary Sax wrote: Civ 6's new expansion is... an environment expansion?

It's actually sort of inspired? Not just the global warming stuff or anything either, even though that's my pet deep fear---there are a tons of environmental changes in previous ages that completely changed the course of history and they haven't been in civ before. Think the little ice age or the sea people who besieged egypt and other civs in the BCs.

I haven't played Civ VI, but this is definitely enough to get me to sit up and take notice. I just hope it's well implemented as it really is an inspired change. Really, I would like to see game designers working with environmental themes. I guess part of the difficulty is the complexity in modeling something like weather. Still, it's a worthwhile design goal to integrate it.

More
21 Nov 2018 17:16 - 21 Nov 2018 17:17 #286641 by hotseatgames
Okay, I want a new turn-based strategy game. Because I enjoy neglecting my backlog. These are the 3 candidates. Each is $28 to $30, so price is a non-issue. Any advice regarding them is appreciated. Presented not in any order....

1. Warhammer 40k Gladius ( store.steampowered.com/app/489630/Warham...dius__Relics_of_War/ ) Thoughts... the only one of the 3 featuring multiple playable factions. A 4x focusing on combat. The only one of the 3 that is more strategic as opposed to tactical.

2. Battletech ( store.steampowered.com/app/637090/BATTLETECH/ ) I like the idea of a giant robot strategy game. This one apparently has a lot of "story" thrown in and I don't care. There is a skirmish mode but I have not really heard anything about its quality.

3. Warhammer 40k: Mechanicus ( store.steampowered.com/app/673880/Warhammer_40000_Mechanicus/ ) A strategy game featuring Skitarii! Also random dungeon crawl style events! A 40k game getting high praise???!?!! This one is calling to me.

I'm also tempted by Thronebreaker, but I'm not sure how much Gwent I can take. I like Gwent but I tend to lose interest in card games when there isn't a live opponent I can see.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2018 17:17 by hotseatgames.

More
21 Nov 2018 17:35 #286643 by Black Barney
Started RDR2 last night. Did Just one mission. This isn’t a game you can play for just 30 minutes apparently.

The snow rendering is unreal

#thingscanadiansnotice

More
21 Nov 2018 17:36 #286644 by san il defanso

Gary Sax wrote: Civ 6's new expansion is... an environment expansion?

The return of diplomacy is big deal for me. I like Civ VI a lot, but the biggest loss from V was that you basically have to conquer other civs to do well. The environmental stuff sounds amazing, as does the addition of canals and tunnels. Really looking forward to this one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
21 Nov 2018 17:56 - 21 Nov 2018 21:50 #286645 by Frohike
I think I'm done with Overwatch beyond the 1 or 2 occasional matches I'll pick up as a quick diversion. It's just too tilting for me, and a lot of it coincided with the introduction of Brig. Although I knew she signified something broken in the way Blizzard was approaching updates to the game, I couldn't really put my finger on what exactly had broken down to produce the idea of her character. It felt like something had been creeping into the game over the course of the past year or so, & that Brig was some funhouse mirror image of a solution to a problem I didn't see and that Blizzard had misapplied.

Enter Seagull to finally articulate his frustrations:

I've heard the retorts, and they aren't very strong ones in my opinion.

Overwatch is occupying this awkward space where it wants to cater to casuals but makes changes to influence a meta that's often only relevant at high-level or even professional play (e.g. the Sombra nerf). The end result is this frustrating mish-mash of increasingly demanding team play (which is rarely achieved in solo queue), easy/blunt hard-counters (with little to no recourse for the person countered, other than switching), snowballing ult economies, and a dwindling sense of individual agency in any given match beyond selecting the right counter and aiming better (and even that's not required on some characters). That juking that Seagull talks about is the lifeblood of a multiplayer competitive game for me, and Blizzard has crushed a lot of it.

I'm curious to see where they'll take the game but at this point I have a hard time picturing how they're going to reverse course on some of the trends I'm seeing. Ashe is cool... but again... she feels like a response to some sort of gap in high level play and her introduction seems to have relegated McCree to an off pick.

Red Dead is commanding most of my attention now and I'll need to figure out what my next multiplayer game will be... assuming I won't have that much interest in RDR2 Online.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2018 21:50 by Frohike.

More
21 Nov 2018 19:56 - 21 Nov 2018 19:56 #286653 by Gary Sax
I find discussion of MP game meta very interesting... while simultaneously never wanting to play a game with that sort of meta.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2018 19:56 by Gary Sax.

More
21 Nov 2018 20:22 #286658 by san il defanso
I'm the same way, Gary. I only play Super Smash Bros. casually on a couch with my kids, so I have no vested interest in tiers. But I do like checking in with that kind of thing to see where the current meta is. The evolving nature of that stuff is really fascinating to me from a detached point of view, but I never want to actually have to worry about it myself.

Overwatch seems like the kind of game I wish I'd gotten into in 2016, because in 2018 I really think it's passed me by.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.584 seconds