October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
22 Jan 2019 20:13 - 22 Jan 2019 20:18 #290485 by Sevej
So, I invented this funny Crusader build, which r00ls over TX in Diablo 3.

I have this thing called the Roland set, which boosts my area attack damage by 13000%, which on most times killed things in one or two hits, and a buff that refunds the energy cost for that attack.

Then, I have this... magic horse that I can call every few seconds, that runs like clappers of hell.

The thing is, due to stuff... when I dismount, my damage is doubled (26000% now?)... aaaand when I kill stuff, the cooldown to my horse is reduced greatly (one or two attacks hitting 4+ enemies are enough to reset it completely). So, yeah. Ultra fast farming.

EDIT: Forgot that my buff that refunds the energy cost also has 250% damage buff :silly: it's crazy.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2019 20:18 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2019 20:21 #290486 by hotseatgames
Bought Mutant Football League since it's on sale on Steam and I have fond memories of the Genesis game.

Made the mistake of immediately playing against my son instead of doing the tutorial. My son has played recent versions of Madden, and this works pretty similarly. He crushed me and I was mostly dumbfounded for the duration.

I have since done the tutorial. Hopefully it will start to click, because I think there is a lot of game in there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
23 Jan 2019 09:47 #290519 by SuperflyPete
Holy cow. I can't believe that's still around. That was a really fun old game.

More
23 Jan 2019 11:30 #290530 by ThirstyMan
Playing Morrowind as I had a yearning for a decentish RPG.

Certainly fun with the total overhaul mod. Enjoying the lore and being a general weakling. Luckily managed to fuck up an assassin sent to kill me and now I have his good gear and he is lying naked (thank you nude mod) in a gutter (it's definitely a he and apparently circumcised)

Off to explore this fun place and do some questing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
23 Jan 2019 16:32 #290554 by mtagge

RobertB wrote: @Jackwraith - yeah, I'd forgotten about that real-money AH. By the time I actually bought D3, it was dying out.

@mtagge - I'd recommend Torchlight 2. Combat alpaca ftw.

I actually have been doing Borderlands 2. Great fun and is the loot pinata experience without the online BS. I ran through the game x3 with Sal legitimately to finish all three difficulty modes. Then when I wanted to experience some of the other characters I started item duping (so as not to shuffle items between the two characters) and eventually save game editing. I'm not sure I would still be goofing around if not for the editing as each character is actually identical until ~1.5 hours in (everyone is a sniper if they want to survive before level 10) and it is the same set of missions (ugh!) to get to the interesting difficulty and I wanted to try out the different playstyles that were unlocked by different types of gear (here is a build of Sal using a shotgun and abusing the Money Shot skill. If you want to try it you need a shotgun with a bullet capacity of exactly two shots before reload!)

I did try Torchlight 1. At my age however I am not interested in anything that uses a keyboard/mouse as the control set anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, RobertB

More
23 Jan 2019 17:23 #290558 by Josh Look
I finished Mega Man 11 this morning.

I’m no slouch when it comes to platformers and I’ve beaten a number of games in the Mega Man series before, but this game nearly crushed me initially. I spent hours trying to beat a single level, any level, and just could not do it. I finally swallowed my pride and started over on the “casual” difficulty. I still had some issues beating Block Man, the boss best suited to be beaten first, but after some perseverance and some good old fashioned pattern memorization, I finally did it. I started to really find my footing and eventually started over again, back on normal difficulty. I found that I was much more prepared this time around, and I was able to really appreciate the mastery of craft behind this game. The levels and bosses are really top notch.

I thought I had grasped where the game was going but it managed to throw another surprise at me, though not in the form of more difficulty. Just the opposite, the game eventually becomes much easier. There are two new additions to the MM formula in this entry, one is the double gear, which allows you to slow time and increase firepower for short periods of time. These mechanics make the franchise more accessible than ever before, but it still has to be mastered. The other addition is the ability to buy items and upgrades between levels. This is not to be underestimated as it turns out. A number of upgrades made certain mechanics, both platforming and enemies, in previous sections able to be dealt with with ease. Slowing down time, paired with the upgrade that allows you to move at normal speed, and making it through what should be controller breaking situations without even breaking a sweat, the satisfaction is second to none. And it is so perfectly paced. These upgrades appear at exactly the right time in the game.

The thrill, the effort and feeling of reward, this is why I love this genre. I never thought I’d see this shakeup in a difficulty curve in a Mega Man title, a franchise notorious for being punishing. Capcom is a strange beast these days, and the fact that this game exists at all feels like some sort of miracle. That being said, it’s also the best starting place the Mega Man franchise has seen to date. Capcom has given you the ability to learn the game at your pace.

I’m putting this somewhere in the top tier of Mega Man games. A crummy soundtrack holds it back from MM2 status, but I can’t think of other games from the core series that beats it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jeb, lj1983, Frohike, DarthJoJo

More
23 Jan 2019 22:43 #290569 by Michael Barnes
My son’s birthday was last week and he got a GameStop gift card...for the first time, I let him pick out games he wanted to buy. He picked the Street Fighter 30th anniversary collection and Mega Man 11. Hell yeah!

As Josh said above, it’s awesome. It is hard too, I have kept it on casual (there is also a merciful Newcomer mode) and I am still getting beat down. I did Block Man, Acid Man, and Bounce Man...River is further along, I think he just has 1 or 2 left.

The best thing was when he first started playing it, Scarlett and I were taking turns with him. We managed to get to Tundra Man, and Scarlett wanted to try- at this point she had not had her turn. Very first time touching a controller to play Mega Man, she beats a Robot Master. I was dumbfounded.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Josh Look, Frohike

More
23 Jan 2019 23:06 #290571 by RobertB

mtagge wrote: I actually have been doing Borderlands 2. Great fun and is the loot pinata experience without the online BS. I ran through the game x3 with Sal legitimately to finish all three difficulty modes. Then when I wanted to experience some of the other characters I started item duping (so as not to shuffle items between the two characters) and eventually save game editing. I'm not sure I would still be goofing around if not for the editing as each character is actually identical until ~1.5 hours in (everyone is a sniper if they want to survive before level 10) and it is the same set of missions (ugh!) to get to the interesting difficulty and I wanted to try out the different playstyles that were unlocked by different types of gear (here is a build of Sal using a shotgun and abusing the Money Shot skill. If you want to try it you need a shotgun with a bullet capacity of exactly two shots before reload!)

I did try Torchlight 1. At my age however I am not interested in anything that uses a keyboard/mouse as the control set anymore.

I've finished Borderlands 2, with Zer0, and have made it halfway with all the rest, I liked Borderlands better, because the loot was crazier. You could find a weapon that you could carry for 20 levels. Borderlands'ending did kind of suck, though.

As for keyboard/mouse, I can't use an xbox/PS controller.

More
24 Jan 2019 08:41 #290578 by the_jake_1973
My wife and I have been playing Portal Knights on PS4. It was free with PS+ this last month. It is has simple RPG elements, character progression, loot drops, and building. In short, it hits the same notes as Dragon Quest Builders, but we find it a bit more fun. I hope they put some more construction artifacts in the building palette.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons

More
25 Jan 2019 04:12 #290648 by san il defanso
Torchlight 2 is on sale for $4 over on GOG.com, and I've always been curious about games like it, but never too into the goofball Blizzard crap with Diablo. So I took the plunge.

This is just to let you all know what happened, when you get news of my pending unemployment and neglected family. In short, Torchlight 2 happened.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Colorcrayons, sornars

More
25 Jan 2019 05:27 #290650 by Colorcrayons
When reading up about Portal Knights, it was described as a love child of Mincraft and Diablo.

I hate minecraft, yet I find Portal Knights to be pretty adequate. The entire family has dug in about it, the spawnlings playing on one system, while the GF and I on another.

It won't have the same staying power as Minecraft due to some limitations on crafting and world building. But for now, it's refreshing to not have to tolerate hipster 16 bit throwback graphics.

I wish I could get Torchlight on PS4. I'm still dying for Path of Exile to finally release on PS4 as well.

We we're lucky enough to find a Spider-man 1 TB PS4 during Black Friday for the kids, so a fair amount of Spider-man is being played by me (the spawnlings have turned it into Fortnite, all the time) as well as Cities Skyline. I never played SimCity back in the day, but this has some zen-like enjoyability. You could almost like in bed while playing this for an ASMR opium den sleepy time activity.
Now if they would only release a Kaiju mod for their (un?)natural disasters DLC, I'd be pretty chuffed to play even more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
25 Jan 2019 11:20 #290673 by hotseatgames
Started playing Observer. This is a cyberpunk detective story starring Rutger Hauer. I think he was drunk or sleepy when he recorded his lines. Maybe both.

I don't know if it picks up, but what I have played so far hasn't been terribly fun. It's certainly interesting. But I think they make you work for it a bit too much.

More
25 Jan 2019 13:51 - 25 Jan 2019 13:56 #290683 by Frohike
I've had a moderate amount of fun with Red Dead 2, mostly in the open world non-story activities, primarily in hunting & crafting gear. However, compared to Breath of the Wild, most of the open world systems in this game are pretty shallow, as is the "realism" angle that randomly juts out of the design (besides the graphics). After finally getting bored with the open world stuff, I decided to plow through the story missions and... holy hell. My opinion of this game plummeted. The open world framework seemed so grandiose, if not particularly deep, that I expected the missions to throw some interesting gameplay into the stew, but all I've experienced so far (end of chapter IV) is the most rote, repetitive, "do not deviate from the yellow path" shit I've seen in an open world game in awhile. Rockstar need some sort of reboot, which unfortunately isn't going to happen if critics keep throwing GOTY assessments around like gold stars in kindergarten.

This guy nails pretty much all of my issues with the game:

I'll blitz through the rest of the story & chuck this thing in the eBay/Craigslist/garage sale pile.
Last edit: 25 Jan 2019 13:56 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, GorillaGrody

More
27 Jan 2019 08:35 #290744 by SaMoKo
Assassins Creed Odessey is the worst game I have seen in years. If you asked aliens who had no concept of how humans interact, move, fight, or what made them have fun in a game, this abomination would resemble the product.

A worthless shit pile devoid of artistry, decent game design, or enjoyment. Not a single element of this heap has been crafted to be enjoyable or even sensible. Worthless individual elements have been patched together to fill the landscape with some hollow thing resembling a game.

All open word games have become bad, but this is the shining beacon of new design principles: A publisher will just spread their legs and spray out whatever stink will push copies so long as the world is big and immersive.

1/10
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney, lj1983

More
27 Jan 2019 11:08 #290746 by hotseatgames
So... will you be checking out the season pass?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, SaMoKo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.671 seconds