October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2648 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to?

More
14 Jul 2015 09:16 - 14 Jul 2015 09:16 #206222 by Columbob
This morning again in the car, asking for Les loups but settled for Culottes de v'lours on random play.

Alex picked up the fiddle for tri-fiddliness on their latest, pretty good. I think my favourite ballad is Canot d'écorce, I love Ian's voice especially and Pascal's plaintive notes on the fiddle. Couldn't find it on Youtube so they might not have ever played it live.

I could see why you'd prefer instrumentals, but a lot of the songs are hilarious nonetheless (Quand chus parti du Canada); and why they explain what's happening in english before playing the song when they're in anglo-country (they've toured often in Scotland, Australia, US, Canada). Some are versions of songs my grandpa would sing (he also played the fiddle but never professionally - certainly influenced Pascal, in fact he still owns our grandpa's instrument but last I heard it wasn't in good shape, something about spilling a drink in it).
Last edit: 14 Jul 2015 09:16 by Columbob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2015 17:27 #206254 by Black Barney
you in or around MTL? We should go to their next show.

I'll mix you my favourite drink afterwards, i call it the Lazy CauseBee
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
15 Jul 2015 10:28 - 15 Jul 2015 10:36 #206306 by Columbob
I'm in Gatineau but often visiting family in the MTL area.

They're playing the Chambly beerfest in early September (Labour Day weekend), I might be going there.

I just went to check their FB page, we see Yann, Pascal and this other guy on their updated picture (June 30), it's NOT Alex. Yet he's still in the band. He's probably just toning down his activities with them. Maybe he's got another day job.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2015 10:36 by Columbob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
15 Jul 2015 17:08 #206334 by Black Barney
is it that tall anglophone guy? He's pretty damn good too.

Chambly is only 40 mins from my place, I'll totally hit that up

More
16 Jul 2015 20:22 #206396 by Tim Champlin
I've been listening to The World is a Beautiful Place and I Am No Longer Afraid to Die. Great band, fantastic music, although I'm not crazy about the amount of spoken word is in their newer material.

More
30 Jul 2015 22:32 #207529 by Shellhead

More
30 Jul 2015 22:39 #207531 by Shellhead
And then there is this, with a chorus that you won't soon forget:

More
26 Aug 2015 12:22 #209333 by Michael Barnes
A while back I started hearing about this Swedish metal band called Ghost...well, Ghost BC in the US. They are one of those bands that is huge everywhere in the world that is not America.

The band is billed only as Nameless Ghouls, and they wear black cultist robes and those shovel-face Venetian masks. The singer goes by Papa Emeritus, and according to their lore he's died after every record so they're up to Papa Emeritus III. He wears black papal vestments, complete with a mitre. And skull makeup.

You might be thinking that this is some kind of black metal outfit, but they most definitely aren't. Here are my mental points of comparison from listening to them for a couple of days: Blue Oyster Cult, Beach Boys, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, "Age of Aquarius", Shocking Blue, ABBA, NWOBHM, Deep Purple, Rainbow.

The singer sounds exactly like a cross between King Diamond and Brian Wilson. They seem more influenced by 1960s "soft" psychedelia and Swedish pop than Venom or Bathory. Their melodies are hooky and accessible, and it's almost like un-heavy metal in a way.

Really not sure what to think of these guys. On one hand, it's all brilliant. It's like really accessible, super-Satanic (but tongue in cheek) metal from an alternate reality where heavy metal existed in 1968. On the other, it seems almost too cute for its own good. But I'm sure the metal community probably despises these guys because they're funny and popular.

More
26 Aug 2015 13:41 - 26 Aug 2015 15:01 #209348 by Mr. White
I had a post with some videos about Ghost a few years ago, but I can't find it now. Looks like we're missing a lot of posts in this thread. There's a jump from 2011 to April 2015...

I found them 'ok' at best, and even then it was two or three songs. I couldn't get into a whole album. Damn, I wish I remembered what else I said. Haven't heard them in awhile. I think they've had 2-3 different singers or something.

I believe they put out a new album this weekend. The same weekend as ...The Sword.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2015 15:01 by Mr. White.

More
26 Aug 2015 22:26 #209379 by Shellhead
Rock with a honky-tonk influence:

More
26 Aug 2015 22:33 #209380 by Shellhead
Retro '90s sound from a modern band in Spain:

More
30 Aug 2015 17:29 #209617 by Shellhead
This song is like unto the apotheosis of Tears For Fears and Crowded House:

More
31 Aug 2015 10:50 #209641 by Tim Champlin
Not sure if there's a thread for concerts, but this last Saturday I got to see The Get Up Kids, which has always been a big favorite of mine. They played pretty much all old stuff, ignoring everything form their last two albums. Great show, nice and small venue, polite crowd, bands set up and started playing soon after the last one ended, can't go wrong with that.

More
10 Sep 2015 14:33 #210372 by Legomancer
After spending years hardly buying any new music at all, over the past week I've bought all the following songs and albums:

Bloom - Beach House
"Comeback Kid" - Sleigh Bells
"Little Fang" - Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks
"Far From Any Road" - The Handsome Family
"Fight Song", "Albert" - Eddie Japan
Four by Six - Eddie Japan
Have You Ever Done Something Evil? - Hallelujah the Hills
"Two Weeks" - FKA Twigs
Picture Perfect EP - Strawberry Whiplash
"Red Eyes" - The War on Drugs
"I Wanna Get Better" - Bleachers
What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful World - The Decemberists
Wolf's Law - The Joy Formidable

I attribute this to two things. One, I'm doing running now, so I finally have a place to really listen to music now. Two, I set up a Plex server so that we can listen to this stuff on phones, tablets, computers, etc, and even stream to bluetooth speakers. I'm actually excited about new music for the first time in a long time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
15 Sep 2015 12:23 - 15 Sep 2015 12:24 #210706 by Legomancer
I think that my music tastes aren't in sync with many others here, but I just made a new mix CD. It's called Les Pommes Sont Rouges et Je Suis Désolé and you can listen to it here:

www.daveexmachina.com/wordpress/?p=9682

Last edit: 15 Sep 2015 12:24 by Legomancer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Mr. White

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds