October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
27 Dec 2017 00:51 #259648 by dysjunct
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. Loved the book. This is an excellent adaptation; could quibble a little but it would be petty. Recommended.

The Magicians season 2. A fine adventure. A little thinky for its own good. Weird to say it, but the I kind of miss the first season’s “Harry Potter plus frat house sex antics plus oh-shit-world-ending high magic.” That said the series takes the narrative in very different places without contenting itself to rehash the central plot of the first season.

Riverdale. Teen soap opera. Super corny but fun reimaginings of Archie, Betty, Veronica, Jughead, etc. It’s about as edgy as Twilight but more self aware and tongue in cheek. Entertaining. There’s a good drinking game in there somewhere.

Bright. Straight to Netflix is the new straight to VHS. Did The Punisher move too quickly, have too much character development, and not enough nerd tropes for you? Have you been kept up at night thinking how much better the World of Warcraft movie would have been if it were a 100% by-the-numbers buddy cop flick? Then this is right up your proverbial, and possibly literal, alley. But Netflix has already signed onto a sequel, so what do I know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2017 00:29 #259709 by SuperflyPete
I got my wife the entire 6 season set of Two Broke Girls. It’s as if the writers emerged from our minds to spew forth sarcasm and sexually/drug charged dialogue.

We’ve been binging on that.

More
28 Dec 2017 09:22 #259714 by Shellhead
Two Broke Girls started out great, but I burned out after the 3rd or 4th season. Like too many other modern sitcoms, the writers get a little too invested in the characters and gradually do less comedy and more drama, plus some of the recurring gags go stale. And I can't stand Jennifer Coolidge, who gets applause on the laugh track every time she shows up to flatly deliver weak jokes, probably just because she played Stiffler's mom about two decades ago.

Maybe I should give Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrelll another chance, but I disliked every single character and found it to be hopelessly pompous at times. The phrase "English magic" really made me grind my teeth. There were some interesting ideas, and I liked the visual style of the other realm.

More
28 Dec 2017 10:35 #259717 by Joebot

Shellhead wrote: Finally started watching Game of Thrones. I first started reading the books way back in 1998, and I've been a fan of George R.R. Martin since the late '80s. But I finally gave up on the books, because it is impossible for him to finish the last two books before the final season airs next year. And I don't want to spend a decade avoiding online spoilers. Anyway, I started season one last Thursday and have two episodes left to go on season two. The show did a great job of casting the main characters, but many of the second-tier characters are utterly forgettable-looking. And most fall short of what I have been imagining for the last 20 years. Season one was extremely faithful to the book, but some liberties were taken with season two. And I have heard that the show will eventually go off the rails in season seven and veer into some fanfic territory, but I will take that over the endless wait for book six.

I bought "A Game of Thrones" on a whim from the Sci Fi Book Club in 1996, and I've been a huge fan ever since. I can honestly say at this point, I don't even much care if Martin writes another book. I've given up on him too. I read his blog once in a while, and the fact that he rarely even talks about "Winds of Winter" suggests to me that he's lost all interest in writing it.

In my mind, the show is a completely separate thing from the books. It's probably not fair to say the show "goes off the rails" in later seasons because we don't know how much it diverges from Martin's books. I will say that, even with its flaws, the show is as relentlessly entertaining as anything on TV. It's just a blast. It's a unique mix of politics, fantasy, dark humor, spectacle, action, tits, and dragons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
28 Dec 2017 10:44 #259718 by SuperflyPete

Shellhead wrote: Two Broke Girls And I can't stand Jennifer Coolidge, who gets applause on the laugh track every time she shows up to flatly deliver weak jokes, probably just because she played Stiffler's mom about two decades ago.

The funny thing is in the first and beginning of second season, her "cameos" were done with no fanfare of laughter. She just showed up. Shit Polish accent. Then as her accent got slightly more believable, the laugh track kicked in as if they were congratulating her for developing her accent skills.

More
28 Dec 2017 10:52 #259720 by hotseatgames
Watched the first episode of season 4 of Peaky Blinders. It was a cool episode for a decent show. I like Cillian Murphy, and sometimes Tom Hardy shows up.

More
31 Dec 2017 17:44 #259915 by __
Replied by __ on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
So far, Black Mirror season 4 has been a bit disappointing, I think "clumsy" is a good word to describe it through 3 episodes, I think they've lost some sense of a broader scope of the dystopian issues which I most enjoyed as the backdrop to the early seasons and hav put too much stock into contrived ways to push the individual story along. Not bad, but then I watched the Detectorists, which I enjoyed a lot more somehow, despite very little happening in the first episode.

More
31 Dec 2017 18:08 #259917 by Grudunza
I disagree. In terms of writing and entertainment, Black Mirror season 4 is more consistently better than both 3 and 2. I thought every episode was good or great, and one outstanding. Didn’t disappoint.

More
02 Jan 2018 08:45 - 02 Jan 2018 09:24 #260004 by charlest
I agree on Black Mirror Season 4 being outstanding. Strong the whole way and love how it's often thought provoking while still wildly entertaining.

Also loved Peaky Blinders season 4. Thought the payoff at the end was worth it and the shorter seasons really help keep it focused.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2018 09:24 by charlest.

More
02 Jan 2018 08:49 #260006 by hotseatgames
Chewed through Black Mirror season 4 in 3 days. Really good stuff. None of them were approaching horror like some of the earlier seasons, with the possible exception of the last episode, which has a cringe-inducing segment.

Half-way through Peaky Blinders, and loving it.

More
02 Jan 2018 09:26 #260013 by charlest

hotseatgames wrote: Chewed through Black Mirror season 4 in 3 days. Really good stuff. None of them were approaching horror like some of the earlier seasons, with the possible exception of the last episode, which has a cringe-inducing segment.

I thought Metalhead (the second to last episode) was firmly in the Jaws/Alien genre of horror. I also really enjoy the ones with a positive ending (like the Junipero one from season 3), as long as they're rare and kind of surprising.

More
02 Jan 2018 09:29 #260014 by hotseatgames
I forgot about Metalhead, that was definitely a post-apocalyptic style of horror.

More
02 Jan 2018 10:19 #260016 by Cranberries

cranberries wrote: I started watching "The Good Place" with 69-year-old Sam Malone. It's kind of dumb fun, but I keep coming across hints that it turns awesome at some point.

Ok, the first season of The Good Place had a slow start, but the finale BLEW MY SOCKS OFF. It's not the best 20-minute-episode comedy ever made, but worth watching.

More
03 Jan 2018 19:06 #260137 by stoic
For Christmas I received a V tv series DVD bundle which included both the original 80's tv series and the 2009 tv series. It was as awesome as I remembered them to have been.

Now, I'm beginning to believe reptilians are everywhere. I'm also ready to play XCOM2 on the Xbox to fight the good fight.

P.S. Teenage me had a huge crush on Jane Badler.

The 2009 reboot isn't bad on the eyes either.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: repoman

More
03 Jan 2018 22:09 #260147 by Black Barney
Was Jane Badler Diana? I had a crush on her too.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.112 seconds