Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What TV SHOWS are you watching?

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 23 May 2018 14:35 #273956

Gregarius wrote:
DarthJoJo wrote:
I finished season three of Better Call Saul on Netflix last week, and I think I’m ready to say it’s better than Breaking Bad or at least more adult. It doesn’t go for the flash and spectacle of Breaking’s big moments and violence so much. It lets the desperation and tragedy of its characters be quieter and hit harder. Walt laughing under the floor boards may be an indelible image, but it isn’t as terrible as Chuck destroying his house.

I like to that it makes no bones that it’s leafs are villains. We may like and empathize with Jimmy and Mike and even Nacho, but they’re not good people. Breaking tried to have it both ways with Walt. It knew he was a villain but kept putting him m against worse people (street dealers to kingpins to skinheads) to make him look better.
Hey, I finished it last week as well. I'm pretty sure I like it better than Breaking Bad, but it also makes me want to watch that whole series again.

I had the opposite reaction. While I definitely like it way more than Breaking Bad ... it's made me not ever want to go back and revisit Breaking Bad. By the end of BB, I was exhausted from how relentlessly grim and bleak it was. I hated everyone except Walt Jr. They were all terrible people, and I was glad to be rid of them.

Conversely, I wouldn't say that Better Call Saul is grim or bleak. It's just deeply cynical (a viewpoint I can get behind). There are good people in it, but they're constantly defeated and frustrated. It's also fucking hilarious, and I love Kim so much and am terrified that something terrible is going to happen to her. Great show, and really the only prequel that I can think of that doesn't exist simply to serve as an "origin story checklist."
  • Joebot
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 266
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, DarthJoJo

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 26 May 2018 14:09 #274119

RobertB wrote:
I'm reading that they're 'still in talks'. Hope it happens, but...

deadline.com/2018/05/the-expanse-amazon-...ellation-1202398511/
  • stoic
  • D8
  • Cobra Kai!
  • Thank you received: 833
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds