October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
23 May 2018 14:35 #273956 by Joebot

Gregarius wrote:

DarthJoJo wrote: I finished season three of Better Call Saul on Netflix last week, and I think I’m ready to say it’s better than Breaking Bad or at least more adult. It doesn’t go for the flash and spectacle of Breaking’s big moments and violence so much. It lets the desperation and tragedy of its characters be quieter and hit harder. Walt laughing under the floor boards may be an indelible image, but it isn’t as terrible as Chuck destroying his house.

I like to that it makes no bones that it’s leafs are villains. We may like and empathize with Jimmy and Mike and even Nacho, but they’re not good people. Breaking tried to have it both ways with Walt. It knew he was a villain but kept putting him m against worse people (street dealers to kingpins to skinheads) to make him look better.

Hey, I finished it last week as well. I'm pretty sure I like it better than Breaking Bad, but it also makes me want to watch that whole series again.

I had the opposite reaction. While I definitely like it way more than Breaking Bad ... it's made me not ever want to go back and revisit Breaking Bad. By the end of BB, I was exhausted from how relentlessly grim and bleak it was. I hated everyone except Walt Jr. They were all terrible people, and I was glad to be rid of them.

Conversely, I wouldn't say that Better Call Saul is grim or bleak. It's just deeply cynical (a viewpoint I can get behind). There are good people in it, but they're constantly defeated and frustrated. It's also fucking hilarious, and I love Kim so much and am terrified that something terrible is going to happen to her. Great show, and really the only prequel that I can think of that doesn't exist simply to serve as an "origin story checklist."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2018 14:09 #274119 by stoic

RobertB wrote: I'm reading that they're 'still in talks'. Hope it happens, but...

deadline.com/2018/05/the-expanse-amazon-...ellation-1202398511/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
31 May 2018 21:41 #274384 by Cranberries
I watched The Americans for six years and saw the series finale this morning, the only time I watched it on the fancy downstairs tv. They did a great job. The showrunners mentions having spent several months revising a key scene, and thirteen hours shooting the ten-minute segment. Professionals, driven by fierce commitment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
31 May 2018 22:53 #274391 by JMcL63
I'm watching the BBC's A Very English Scandal [/b], the story of the Jeremy Thorpe/Norman Scott affair, a UK political scandal I remember from the 70s. The scandal centred on Scott's accusation that Jeremy Thorpe had been his gay lover, and had conspired to have him murdered when the affair went south.

The two leads are the stand outs in a solid production. Hugh Grant makes a very plausible Jeremy Thorpe, obsessed with propping the family man image he cannot maintain in the face of his carnal appetites, but Ben Wishaw probably steals the show. Scott is initally depicted as naive and vulnerable, but, by the end of episode two, he has morphed into
Warning: Spoiler!
The production and period evocation are both as good as you'd expect from the BBC, with its talent for creating period dramas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
04 Jun 2018 08:52 #274627 by charlest

cranberries wrote: I watched The Americans for six years and saw the series finale this morning, the only time I watched it on the fancy downstairs tv. They did a great job. The showrunners mentions having spent several months revising a key scene, and thirteen hours shooting the ten-minute segment. Professionals, driven by fierce commitment.

We've been watching it since the beginning as well. It was honestly one of my favorite shows, even up until the last minute. For some reason, I didn't realize it was the Series finale until we already started watching it, which made it a little more shocking.

That phone call scene was gut-wrenching.

More
04 Jun 2018 09:34 #274636 by Shellhead
American Horror Story: Coven was my favorite season so far. Murder House was scarier, possibly the scariest show on tv, up until a certain paradigm shift for the main characters that turned it into a soap opera. Asylum was freakier, but tried to cover too many topics, ranging from alien abductions to demonic possession. Coven stayed almost entirely focused on the witches, but used that as basis to cover more mundane topics in an interesting way. Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett were powerful additions to the cast. Emma Roberts was a delightful villain, Gabourey Sidibe was a pleasant surprise, and Jessica Lange continues to rule this show with her nuanced portrayal of amoral characters. I was worried that it would be distracting to see so many returning cast members from the first two seasons, but they are all strong enough performers to rise above any potential type-casting. My complaint is that death was treated too casually in this story, even worse than Marvel Comics for casual returns of "dead" characters.

Archer: Dreamlands (season 8) was disappointment. It wasn't bad like Archer Vice (season 5), but it wasn't as funny as an average season of Archer. The title made me hopeful for a Lovecraft connection, but it was just '40s style noir. The conceit that this whole season was a dream in the mind of a comatose Archer didn't really make sense, as many scenes didn't even include Archer. On the other hand, I am glad that the story was internally coherent and not some half-assed collection of dream sequences. It did get funnier towards the end of the season, but ended sooner than expected. I didn't count the episodes, but it felt like a short season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
08 Jun 2018 00:41 #274956 by hotseatgames
The other day I finished the first 2 seasons of The Killing, which ended a major arc. I was satisfied with the conclusion.

Tonight I started season 3, and jeez.... this season starts out super dark and depraved. I'm not sure I'm up for watching a bunch of kids turn tricks just to eat.

More
12 Jun 2018 09:04 - 12 Jun 2018 09:23 #275182 by Grudunza
Westworld has been uneven, and some aspects of it continue to be frustrating, like the way that every Delos employee is written to be jerky in a way that is just annoying. But... as season 2 has built up, some really strong developments have happened, and this most recent episode (s2-e8) was outstanding. A really transcendent hour of television. So if you haven’t kept up with WW, it may be worth the effort to keep going.

Also, my girlfriend and I have started rewatching Game of Thrones, about one a week, expecting to catch up to the final season next year. Just two episodes in and I’m blown away by it. And knowing some of what is going to happen is actually making this a better experience, seeing how the pieces were put so expertly in place. The writing in particular is so sharp. Dialogue that is interesting and colorful, but rarely feels showy. The scene in episode two where the Dothraki woman teaches Daenerys about how to enjoy sex is brilliant. On the surface, hey, two hot ladies talking about sex, but it’s incredibly transformative, and perfectly sets up the later sex scene with Dani and Khal Drogo which leads to their sweet dynamic together. The double Ds (adapting GRRM, of course) really do a great job with this, and the casting and production are top notch. It deserves all of its praise. Sure, I know it gets wonky and bloated at times to come, but wow, what a foundation that it’s built upon.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2018 09:23 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Black Barney, hotseatgames, charlest

More
12 Jun 2018 10:48 - 12 Jun 2018 10:50 #275197 by RobertB
I used to watch St. Elsewhere and E.R., and now my daughter has put a gun to my head and is making me watch Grey's Anatomy. Actually, I've watched far worse. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll look up stuff on Wikipedia to see if it's real.

In the 'far worse' department, my wife started watching The 100. That show was so awesome that I left halfway through the first episode to go outside and pull weeds. It was either that or keep saying out loud every 30 seconds, "This is the dumbest show I've ever seen," until my wife tells me to shut the hell up.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2018 10:50 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, stormseeker75

More
12 Jun 2018 12:26 #275207 by Joebot

Grudunza wrote: Westworld has been uneven, and some aspects of it continue to be frustrating, like the way that every Delos employee is written to be jerky in a way that is just annoying. But... as season 2 has built up, some really strong developments have happened, and this most recent episode (s2-e8) was outstanding. A really transcendent hour of television. So if you haven’t kept up with WW, it may be worth the effort to keep going.

Totally agreed on last week's episode. That may have been the best episode of the show so far. I've compared Westworld to Lost in the past, and this episode once again drove home the comparison. It really reminded me of the single-character-focused flashback episodes that Lost used to do. The story in this episode was clear and emotional, and they didn't try to pull a bunch of clever narrative tricks (which is really getting tiresome on this show). Really solid, effective storytelling.

Overall, I still find myself asking questions about the logic and rules of Westworld, which the writers seem to play pretty fast and loose with. I'm trying to give the writers the benefit of the doubt, but it's hard when I'm pretty sure they're just winging it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
12 Jun 2018 14:10 #275216 by Black Barney

RobertB wrote: That show was so awesome that I left halfway through the first episode to go outside and pull weeds. It was either that or keep saying out loud every 30 seconds, "This is the dumbest show I've ever seen," until my wife tells me to shut the hell up.

lol, more stories like this please.

Christ do i ever hate pulling weeds too. I just don't do it and now my neighbour wants me to pay for a new lawn for his backyard. Ugh.

I miss E.R. Nothing comes close to that for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
16 Jun 2018 10:52 #275535 by JMcL63
I watched my first World Cup match last night with Spain v. Portugal.

It was a great match, and finally sparked my interest in this year's world football extravaganza. It'll be Peru v. Denmark in an hour. Probably won't be such a great match.

More
16 Jun 2018 11:57 #275538 by Jackwraith
Wow. What a way to start. Yeah, the talent level on the field for that game was ridiculously high. And I hate Ronaldo, but you can't say anything negative about that free kick. Just unreal. Yes, Peru Denmark will be a little less interesting, but if you have the time today, I'd say stick around for Croatia/Nigeria, as the Croats always have a good team, especially in the midfield, and the Nigerians have enough talent this time to actually play some attacking game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63

More
17 Jun 2018 07:14 #275591 by ThirstyMan
I have a real problem with Game of Thrones. I have a box set of BluRay but I simply cannot watch more than three episodes before total boredom kicks in. It's weird because I want to like it but I just don't and I can't articulate why.

I've taken many recommendations from here and most have worked for me but not this one. I simply cannot see the attraction (bar the tits, I suppose). After my last attempt, I'm giving up and watching The Wire again which I know I enjoy.

Also Babylon 5 is up on Amazon Prime. I quite like this but I don't know if I can slog through five seasons of it. It feels pretty aged.

More
17 Jun 2018 07:20 #275593 by ChristopherMD

ThirstyMan wrote: Also Babylon 5 is up on Amazon Prime. I quite like this but I don't know if I can slog through five seasons of it. It feels pretty aged.

You can skip the 5th season, imo. They didn't think they were getting a 5th so the main story wraps up in the 4th. The 1st is only okay but 2nd is good and 3rd/4th are great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.576 seconds