October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

official Westworld thread

More
14 Apr 2018 13:04 #267534 by ChristopherMD
If you don't like it don't watch it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2018 14:32 #267540 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic official Westworld thread

Santorum wrote: Well Season 2 is starting soon for one of the most overrated shows on television. Critic reviews are coming in, and it's averaging out so far as a solid "good, not great", much like Season 1.

What is it about this show that makes people think it's so amazing? Personally I think it's the high budget visuals and cast that make it feel like it's better than it is, and covers for the lack of everything else that other shows do better (see: Fargo & Legion, to name two). Season 1 relied heavily on its "mysteries" to carry the show, only Reddit figured them out way in advance, but apparently Season 2 does less of that...

Is anyone super excited for this?

No, I'm not excited about a season two, but, I'm absolutely in love with this actress so I'll watch it.

Attachments:

More
14 Apr 2018 16:20 #267547 by Matt Thrower
Timely thread as I've not long finished season 1.

In the end, I enjoyed it. It's a smartly written show which does a lot of clever sleight of hand with timelines. There's a lot to chew over in what it means to be human.

However, the reason is say "in the end" is because en route to the conclusion, it meandered through a number of pointless and dull plot arcs that did little but fill time.

All that padding is just not respectful of the viewer. It's a waste of my time. And for that reason, I'm out.

More
17 May 2018 10:08 #273476 by ChristopherMD
Finally had some much needed plot in this weeks episode. The Dolores/Maeve storylines have been boring filler so far. Latest episode was much better without them. I hope the rest of the season carries this episodes momentum forward.

More
17 May 2018 11:10 #273487 by hotseatgames
I thought the revelation of "what they really want in the park" was cool.

More
22 May 2018 12:06 #273880 by Santorum
Replied by Santorum on topic official Westworld thread

ChristopherMD wrote: Finally had some much needed plot in this weeks episode. The Dolores/Maeve storylines have been boring filler so far. Latest episode was much better without them. I hope the rest of the season carries this episodes momentum forward.

As soon as you said this... we get an all Dolores/Maeve episode. Dolores is such a one note character that everything about that story is dull; she's going to kill things and say things about how they need to conquer the world and stuff. Zzzzz. Maeve is at least slightly more interesting and has some direction, plus she has more than one emotion. But still, not all that interesting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
22 May 2018 12:23 #273885 by hotseatgames
Yeah... I'm finding the main issue for me is a lack of likable characters. There's Ed Harris, young Ed Harris, and.... did I say Ed Harris already?

More
22 May 2018 22:41 #273910 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic official Westworld thread
I'm still watching, but it's not really interesting for me right now. Ed Harris is great. Everything else is ... eh. I am basically not watching anything else. What else should I watch given this history:

BIG MOUTH: Funny, binged.
STRANGER THINGS: Season 1 good, season 2, meh.
ALTERED CARBON: Janky and bad.
GAME OF THRONES: I like it
THE TICK: Funny, for the most part.

Mind you, I may not be capable of joy.

More
22 May 2018 23:11 #273912 by ChristopherMD
I think I may drop this show or at least wait to watch the rest of the season later if I hear it gets better. I've never been into the Maeve storyline so that does nothing for me. Dolores/Wyatt could be a good plot but we'll never know until the big reveal in the season finale telling us what her plot actually is. Bernard's scenes out of order just feels like lazy storytelling in an attempt to make the show seem clever with timelines. Old William is the only good storyline but I'm not hopeful it stays that way considering everything else. Basically I think they blew their load with the first season and are just making shit up as they go along now with no plan for how the series will end.

More
23 May 2018 08:18 #273919 by the_jake_1973

jeb wrote: I'm still watching, but it's not really interesting for me right now. Ed Harris is great. Everything else is ... eh. I am basically not watching anything else. What else should I watch given this history:

BIG MOUTH: Funny, binged.
STRANGER THINGS: Season 1 good, season 2, meh.
ALTERED CARBON: Janky and bad.
GAME OF THRONES: I like it
THE TICK: Funny, for the most part.

Mind you, I may not be capable of joy.

I would recommend Hap & Leonard on Netflix. Bear in mind, it is not like the rest of the shows in your history.

More
23 May 2018 12:33 - 23 May 2018 12:34 #273945 by Jason Lutes

ChristopherMD wrote: Basically I think they blew their load with the first season and are just making shit up as they go along now with no plan for how the series will end.

My source on the inside confirms this. The same thing was happening for a good part of season 1 as well.

Which is not to say making it up as you go is bad approach in and of itself, especially given the demands of serialized storytelling, but at a certain point you need to have some big-picture story meetings to sort out all the bullshit. It's either that, or you're Lost.
Last edit: 23 May 2018 12:34 by Jason Lutes.

More
23 May 2018 12:35 #273946 by hotseatgames
I'll also add that Breaking Bad was, to a degree, also made up on the fly, so sometimes that can work out.

More
23 May 2018 16:09 #273960 by Jason Lutes
Yeah, most TV is written that way; some people are just better at pulling it off than others. The more mysterious plot elements you introduce, the more you get your audience hooked on wondering how it could all possibly make sense, but without a plan or making some hard calls early on, all those balls you're juggling will just end up all over the floor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds