October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

official Westworld thread

More
29 Nov 2016 12:00 #239362 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic official Westworld thread
Forelle wrote:

If it turns out that everybody (or nearly everybody) is a robot, then I'm going to be a little disappointed.

My take on Host/human:

Warning: Spoiler!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2016 12:27 #239363 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic official Westworld thread
Don't forget that

I am really hoping RobertB is wrong and it's not

More
29 Nov 2016 13:06 #239367 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic official Westworld thread
Argument in the spoilers. :)

More
29 Nov 2016 13:49 #239372 by ChristopherMD
Speculation:
I think Felix and possibly Sylvester being cylons under Ford's control is the only acceptable Maeve explanation at this point. She isn't the original Wyatt because he's basing his narrative on that event not recreating it exactly. I think Maeve is the Wyatt for his new narrative. All of Wyatt's people are waiting for someone to show up and lead them and meanwhile she's looking for an army to lead. A bit too convenient as with everything in her story now.

More
29 Nov 2016 17:01 #239391 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic official Westworld thread
Although Felix and Sylvester being Cylons would help explain their actions, I don't think it's supported by the show. Maeve saw that Bernard was a Host immediately. If she could spot him (a sophisticated model), then she'd definitely know those two clowns were toasters.

More
05 Dec 2016 13:22 #239855 by ChristopherMD
Fantastic finale!

More
05 Dec 2016 15:18 #239874 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic official Westworld thread
Samural World was hilarious. I hope we get to see more worlds next season.

The finale was good, but the season as a whole suffered from the writers keeping secrets too long. Like, Ford, for example. Instead of showing us his progression to being on the side of the hosts ... they keep us guessing for 9.5 episodes, just so they could give us the big twist at the very end. Eh. I'd rather watch Ford grow and progress and change over the course of the season. I feel like there's this pressure for shows to have Big!Shocking!Reveals! to drive up buzz and internet chatter, but that comes at the sake of character growth and development.

Young William's heel turn was very badly handled. He went from "put-upon nice guy" to "murderous psychopath" in REALLY short order. That was weird. Also, I agree with you, Mad Dog, about Felix and Sylvester. Those two characters were morons. After they saw dozens of their co-workers get brutally gunned down, neither of them did anything to try to stop these murder-bots??!?

The whole first season has felt like a prologue to get us to the interesting stuff. Here's hoping that season 2 expands the scope. I really want to see what life is like outside the park!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
06 Dec 2016 08:46 #239923 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic official Westworld thread
Finished it last night. It wasn't perfect but it was enjoyable and kept me guessing. Looking forward to more.

I was wondering when they'd introduce another World, simply based on the original flick.

More
06 Dec 2016 09:17 #239925 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic official Westworld thread
Next season won't be til 2018.

More
11 Dec 2016 14:19 #240331 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic official Westworld thread
I saw the finale yesterday. It was eminently watchable, but...
- I've skipped to it from episode 7, and never once felt like missing anything substantial.
- The show flirted with the idea of one character leaving westworld for the bigger world, but in the last minute (and very conveniently for the show's budget), she changed her mind. It felt extremely cheap to me, like those old shows where at the end of each episode everyone would be back at square one.
- The whole philosophical thing about the hosts becoming sentient is so contrived that I doubt the writers themselves understand what they were trying to say, and instead are relying on the audience to make sense out of it, Lost-style.

I really liked the Dolores' realization that the hosts are the next evolutionary step of the humankind, that scene was well-written and acted, IMHO, and hold my attention to the rest of the episode. On the other hand, it seems like they've firmly planted their feet on BSG ground. And now that they can't keep razzle-dazzling us with
, I'm afraid the show will hit a major quagmire in season 2.

More
11 Dec 2016 14:27 #240333 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic official Westworld thread
I enjoyed and will probably rewatch season 1 in a year-ish since season 2 is slated for 2018. Hope they got all the cliffhangy twists out of their system and that they don't double down on it in season 2 though.

More
11 Dec 2016 15:16 - 11 Dec 2016 20:52 #240334 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic official Westworld thread
I think it was an interesting and effective way to tell the story, regardless. And it only feels gimmicky because we were expecting it by the time it played out. But it wouldn't have been as blatant without the side analysis and speculation that happens online. This is Jonathan Nolan, who wrote Memento and The Prestige, and this is his style of storytelling, for the better, I'd say. Sure, you could watch Memento in normal forward direction, or The Prestige with certain things revealed from the start instead of obscured, but they're better for the way they play with our expectations and tell the story by giving parallels between different aspects of the time frame. Westworld does that effectively, for the most part, and I hope they do have interesting ways to tell the remainder of the story.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2016 20:52 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Gregarius, Vlad

More
11 Dec 2016 15:41 #240335 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic official Westworld thread
Agreed that it's Nolan style and it's OK. However, the plot didn't deserve 10+ hours. It barely deserved half of that. Unlike Nolan movies, there were no effective sucker-punches, because everything was more or less figured out by episode 3 or 4. And then the audience had to endure another 5 hours only to get their suspicions confirmed.
By the way, I think Prestige is the best Nolan movie, or at least shares the spot with The Dark Knight. But it's his best "puzzle" movie anyway :)

More
11 Dec 2016 20:51 #240357 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic official Westworld thread
Sure, I think every anthology TV series would be told better in about 30-40% less time. No argument there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
14 Apr 2018 11:46 #267527 by Santorum
Replied by Santorum on topic official Westworld thread
Well Season 2 is starting soon for one of the most overrated shows on television. Critic reviews are coming in, and it's averaging out so far as a solid "good, not great", much like Season 1.

What is it about this show that makes people think it's so amazing? Personally I think it's the high budget visuals and cast that make it feel like it's better than it is, and covers for the lack of everything else that other shows do better (see: Fargo & Legion, to name two). Season 1 relied heavily on its "mysteries" to carry the show, only Reddit figured them out way in advance, but apparently Season 2 does less of that...

Is anyone super excited for this?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds