October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

The Last Jedi - Full Spoilers

More
19 Dec 2017 00:23 - 19 Dec 2017 00:25 #259307 by Cranberries

Black Barney wrote: I’m seeing die hard SW fans refuse to consider R1 a Star Wars movie because it’s fan made.

Man, that’s a low brain rating. That worries me :(

I know...I know... I’m not supposed to be in this thread

Based on your other reviews, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Metacritic has been pretty accurate for me and they're giving it an 86 .

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 19 Dec 2017 00:25 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2017 03:05 #259309 by __
Its an objectively bad movie, which upon reflection just gets worse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ratpfink, boothwah

More
19 Dec 2017 04:50 - 19 Dec 2017 13:59 #259310 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Tron wrote: Its an objectively bad movie, which upon reflection just gets worse.

No. You are just a whiney entitled fanboy who doesn't like it when someone else plays with your toys.

This is important as it is the most progressive film in the Star Wars saga, and the minute it isn't a white male protagonist with the right breeding saving the day through violence against clearly evil people the gamergate style fans can't handle it.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2017 13:59 by Ancient_of_MuMu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, Grudunza, Black Barney, siberianhusky

More
19 Dec 2017 06:06 - 19 Dec 2017 06:09 #259311 by dontbecruel

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: This is important as it is the most progressive film in the Star Wars saga, and the minute it isn't a white male protagonist with the right breeding saving the day through violence against clearly evil people the game that's style fans can't handle it.

Critical disclaimer: we took fifteen 11 year-olds with us, and they all loved it.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2017 06:09 by dontbecruel. Reason: Clarity
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
19 Dec 2017 07:36 - 19 Dec 2017 07:48 #259312 by __

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

Tron wrote: Its an objectively bad movie, which upon reflection just gets worse.

No. You are just a whiney entitled fanboy who doesn't like it when someone else plays with your toys.

This is important as it is the most progressive film in the Star Wars saga, and the minute it isn't a white male protagonist with the right breeding saving the day through violence against clearly evil people the game that's style fans can't handle it.

I'm very sorry that my own personal opinion of a movie is so offensive to you that it seems to cause you emotional pain. Perhaps the "fanboy" label was a slightly guilty feeling on your own part?

If you'd read my other post on this film, in the movies watching thread, you would also have seen that I specifically called out the great way that the film has a female hero kicking ass without having to rely on her being the love interest, and integrating lots of different cultures and identities.

That however has got nothing to do with the film being bloated with lots and lots of nonsensical boring drivel and artificially stupid explanations to support the key scenes they wanted to get in
General Hux, General Hux, why dont we just jump away and then use our awesome pin point tracking device to jump back towards the rebels but a little bit closer to them next time, that way we can just shoot them before their diesel runs out. No no, lets just keep chasing them until they get tired and run out gas. Sir, that star cruiser is swinging round, shall we ignore it. Yes. Sir, its pointing at us and is now engaging light speed. SHIT!!!!
Lets get the Iphone out and ring that big eyed thing who'll tell us to head to LasSpaceVegas and look out for a red flower pin LOL, hes the guy who is the only one who could sneak you on board their ship, come on, we have loads of time to fix this while they chase us waiting for our gas to run out.

haha, this movie had half an hour of good stuff, a couple of great ideas, lots of awesome inclusive universe building and 2 hours of *fucking nonsense*, and I'm sorry if you are too much of a fanboy to allow anyone else to have an opinion that's different to your own. For my part, you can think what you fucking want of the film, more power to you, its not like the Disney executives will give a fuck since it will earn a gazillion dollars (and every other year when the next overly bloated tripe gets released). Fanboy? I couldn't really care less what they do with their milk money franchise, I'll still probably go and see them, hoping that one day there'll be one that's more good than just fucking stupid and pointless. I'd be more than happy for the film to be completely cast as non caucasian non binary gendered pan sexual monks as long as it makes some fucking sense and tells a decent story. You seem to be dying to make this all about some kind of weird political correctness agenda, which I think says quite a lot more about you than it does me to be honest. If you have an opinion about the film, cool, lets hear it, its OK if its different to mine, and I wont feel the need to somehow deny your opinion by assuming a whole load of fucking stupid shit about you (as I dont know you) or make it about some weird political ideas that I might bizarrely assume you have because you have opinion X about Movie Y. Trying to deny someone elses opinion by using your own invented labels and preconceptions about what kinds of belief systems you think they have is kind of weird, but mainly fucking stupid, even more so as you couldn't have been wider of the mark. It would have been a better point to say that the stupidness of the film sort of took away from the otherwise great casting of a much more varied set of races, genders and persuasions than ever before. But its probably easier for you just to feel better about yourself by pretending that anyone who hates the movie probably is a racist, misogynist sexist basement dwelling nerd I guess?
Yay you! you should share your feedback on Facebook so all your friends can see you flying the flag.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2017 07:48 by __.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
19 Dec 2017 08:28 - 19 Dec 2017 08:31 #259313 by scissors
yeah, still more proof it's better to not talk about movies like this on the internet. somebody's wrong on the fucking internet!!
Last edit: 19 Dec 2017 08:31 by scissors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
19 Dec 2017 11:02 #259318 by Black Barney
This guy is totally ruining my positive association with Tron :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Gregarius

More
19 Dec 2017 11:13 - 19 Dec 2017 11:14 #259319 by SuperflyPete
Spoiler:

What fucked me off (in retrospect) is that the Rebellion clearly knows that flying a ship through hyperspace that passes through something else...why do they not have a giant fleet of ships that are junkers with a hyperdrive which would be used solely as hyperspacic missiles to wipe out enemy fleets?

And why is a Death Star needed when you can just fly a star destroyer into a planet and wipe it out?
Last edit: 19 Dec 2017 11:14 by SuperflyPete.

More
19 Dec 2017 11:20 #259320 by RobertB
@Superfly - you're thinking too hard about this. Star Wars lost all connection with what could be workable weapons starting with ESB, and it never got any better. That sort of shit, I just grumble about it to the missus until she tells me to shut up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
19 Dec 2017 11:38 - 19 Dec 2017 11:41 #259321 by SuperflyPete
A star destroyer has a displacement of 6,400,000 TONS. Traveling at the speed of light, it wields 2.60908E+24 joules of kinetic energy.

That’s about half the amount of solar energy that hits the earth in a year. For reference, Tsar Bomba ha only 2.1×10^17.

If the rebellion made a very wide (think Snoke’s space B2) and very dense ship that was nothing but a shell loaded with Tattooine sand and a hyperspace drive, it would surpass Starkiller Base’s destructive power by many orders of magnitude.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2017 11:41 by SuperflyPete.

More
19 Dec 2017 11:51 #259322 by charlest
There's really no need for something like that. Just make the smallest possible vessel simply to house a hyperdrive. Hyperdrive missiles would tear the hell out of anything, and the ensuing debris and shrapnel would punish those nearby.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
19 Dec 2017 14:13 #259327 by quozl
Hello? Hi, I'm still on hold. Can I talk to someone who can objectively talk about the movie instead of getting emotionally involved in a fictional uiniverse? Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney, SuperflyPete

More
19 Dec 2017 14:18 #259328 by Ancient_of_MuMu
The short answer is that all the plot holes, inconsistencies, etc that people are complaining about in TLJ exist in all the other Star Wars films (particularly TFA) but people don't complain about them in the same way as they do with TLJ (E.g. R2D2 waking up for no apparent reason is much worse than the most hated 30 second sequence in TLJ, and the rathtar scene in TFA scene is much stupider than the Canto Blight chase). Plus the critics and most of the general population love it, so there is something curious at play here about why a very vocal bunch of hard core fans are slagging it off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Jexik

More
19 Dec 2017 14:41 #259329 by jpat
A few friends (really, friends of my wife, but friends enough) are discussing this fairly sanely in a private chat group. People bring in different articles and ideas and jokes, and it ends up being quite a bit of fun. Trying to persuade the Internet writ large that a film like this is great, OK, or terrible -- not so much.

More
19 Dec 2017 14:48 - 19 Dec 2017 14:48 #259330 by Black Barney
Mumu, R2 waking up is from the sandcrawler in ep4? It’s the first time I’ve ever seen that part brought up.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2017 14:48 by Black Barney.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.321 seconds