October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

The Last Jedi - Full Spoilers

More
19 Dec 2017 14:59 #259331 by JEM
There's a lot of jank in TFA*, and a lot of responses at the time that I recall were along the lines of "let's see how that pans out in the next movie." The next movie is here, so it has to carry the dashed expectations of the previous installment on top of its own issues. TFA was given the benefit of the doubt. There is no longer any doubt for TLJ to hide behind.

Calling people names over some made up bullshit is pretty firmly in entitled man-baby territory.**

*Most movies, in fact. Dog shit and beaches and all that.
**Secretly ironic. Or is it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Black Barney, SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2017 15:14 #259333 by Black Barney
Ok I’m going on Thursday evening with my mommy and stepdad. Regular screen, no IMAX, no three dee.

I’m worried that if there is any element i don’t like, Josh is going to yell at me :(

More
19 Dec 2017 16:02 #259335 by san il defanso
I saw it this weekend and loved it. I like it even more the longer I think about it. My only problem is that I wouldn't mind them shaving about 10 minutes off.

More
19 Dec 2017 17:53 - 19 Dec 2017 17:54 #259341 by SuperflyPete

charlest wrote: There's really no need for something like that. Just make the smallest possible vessel simply to house a hyperdrive. Hyperdrive missiles would tear the hell out of anything, and the ensuing debris and shrapnel would punish those nearby.

Mass is the key to a kinetic projectile. A very small ship traveling very fast would not have as much energy as a very large one traveling exponentially slower.

Now, that changes if you “fire” a salvo of 50 of them at enemy targets.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2017 17:54 by SuperflyPete.

More
19 Dec 2017 17:55 #259344 by SuperflyPete
Hey

quozl wrote: Hello? Hi, I'm still on hold. Can I talk to someone who can objectively talk about the movie instead of getting emotionally involved in a fictional uiniverse? Thanks!

I couldn’t care less about the lore etc. I view them as entertainment, not religion. Just my 2c
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
19 Dec 2017 18:05 - 19 Dec 2017 18:06 #259346 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I saw this quote and I think it sums it up: "The Last Jedi is Act 2 of a story about letting go of the past and embracing the future. Maybe it was destined to be divisive." (from: www.vox.com/culture/2017/12/18/16791844/...backlash-controversy )

What people loved about TFA was how much it embraced the past, and when TLJ comes along and says that this was wrong and that we need to look to the future it gets everyone in a tizzy, and also clearly explains why some people love it so much and some hate it so much.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2017 18:06 by Ancient_of_MuMu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Not Sure

More
19 Dec 2017 19:17 #259351 by Sevej
People are angry about:
- Snoke not being Palpatine
- Kylo not being Vader
- Rey not being Luke
- Rey being nobody's child (after cursing midi-chlorians!)
- Star Wars being funny
- Plot holes in Star Wars movie

Anyway after a 2nd viewing, I like it even better. While TFA is very similar to A New Hope, TLJ twists everything. It presents a very different kind of hero and villain, but with the same inner struggle. I really liked it when Kylo turned emo in TFA, and TLJ just cemented it.

Warning: Spoiler!

Mass is the key to a kinetic projectile. A very small ship traveling very fast would not have as much energy as a very large one traveling exponentially slower.

Well, they said a gauss projectile only need 1/5th as large as conventional projectile. I can't imagine how is it with light speed, especially with the absence of air friction in space.

More
19 Dec 2017 19:36 #259352 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I think this sums up a lot of the controversy and my love for the film. A list of the times that TLJ told the other Star Wars movies to eat shit, because each of these is something I love about TLJ, but can see why many others would disagree:
theconcourse.deadspin.com/a-list-of-some...-the-olde-1821396631

While there are people like me who love how much this tears down and makes fun of all the other previous Star Wars movies there are going to be a whole bunch of people who have the opposite opinion. I am really interested in seeing how this one ages and how many people on each side of the fence will admit they were wrong and cross to the other side.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Dec 2017 20:27 #259353 by SuperflyPete

Sevej wrote: People are angry about:
- Kylo not being Vader
- Rey not being Luke
- Star Wars being funny

Anyway after a 2nd viewing, I like it even better. While TFA is very similar to A New Hope, TLJ twists everything. It presents a very different kind of hero and villain, but with the same inner struggle. I really liked it when Kylo turned emo in TFA, and TLJ just cemented it.

Well, they said a gauss projectile only need 1/5th as large as conventional projectile. I can't imagine how is it with light speed, especially with the absence of air friction in space.

I was thinking the target size being a 64 million tonne spaceship being hit by an x wing at light speed. Shooting a BB off of a railgun mounted on a destroyer is still a BB

More
20 Dec 2017 04:44 #259365 by dontbecruel

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: I think this sums up a lot of the controversy and my love for the film. A list of the times that TLJ told the other Star Wars movies to eat shit, because each of these is something I love about TLJ, but can see why many others would disagree:
theconcourse.deadspin.com/a-list-of-some...-the-olde-1821396631

While there are people like me who love how much this tears down and makes fun of all the other previous Star Wars movies there are going to be a whole bunch of people who have the opposite opinion. I am really interested in seeing how this one ages and how many people on each side of the fence will admit they were wrong and cross to the other side.

Weird that you laid into someone else for having a fanboy hissy fit and here you are assuming that both positive and negative attitudes to the film must depend on a view of its relationship to a Star Wars “canon”.

I didn’t like it. It was episodic, unfunny and mostly badly acted. Much more so than TFA or RO. These seem to be the criticisms in the negative reviews I’ve read so I don’t think I’m alone. Whereas your praise seems to be for what the film “represents”. Who’s the fanboy here?
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
20 Dec 2017 08:55 #259367 by Black Barney
I dunno, Mumu seems to be elevating the conversation. I don’t see him laying into anyone. I haven’t even seen the movie yet and I feel like Mumu is probably right

Really looking forward to it

More
20 Dec 2017 10:38 - 20 Dec 2017 10:39 #259378 by Grudunza

Sevej wrote: People are angry about:
- Kylo not being Vader
- Rey not being Luke
- Star Wars being funny

Well said. I would add:
- Leia, who is known to have force capability, using the force

I loved it for its ideas and implications, for tearing down expectations and myths, and for its many big and awesome moments. My only quibbles (and they are just quibbles) are from a filmmaking perspective... a little too long, pacing off at times, inconsistent tone, some clunky dialogue. I could agree with criticism on that level, but it’s weird to hear about people hating on this so severely for daring to actually use SW characters in ways that are interesting and within their capabilities. “Ohhh, Luke would never do that!!” How the hell do you know?? He’s been a moody hermit for 30 years, and was always a bit moody and touchy.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2017 10:39 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
20 Dec 2017 10:49 #259379 by Cranberries

Grudunza wrote: it’s weird to hear about people hating on this so severely for daring to actually use SW characters in ways that are interesting and within their capabilities. “Ohhh, Luke would never do that!!” How the hell do you know?? He’s been a moody hermit for 30 years, and was always a bit moody and touchy.

More
20 Dec 2017 11:01 #259380 by drewcula
Okay okay. Leia uses the Force in front of a bunch of rebels. Fine. It can't take away the visuals, which looked like an undergrad project. Julie Andrews looked better flying around on stage as Peter Pan.

More
20 Dec 2017 12:36 #259388 by Ancient_of_MuMu

dontbecruel wrote: Weird that you laid into someone else for having a fanboy hissy fit and here you are assuming that both positive and negative attitudes to the film must depend on a view of its relationship to a Star Wars “canon”.

Probably only my first post made fun and called names. My initial assumption as to the hate was that it was a gamergate style reaction to the more diverse cast and moral themes which are less good vs evil and lack of white males saving the galaxy with violence.

However since then I have been pondering it some more intellectually because I have been trying to work out why it is bringing out such a diverse reaction. This is not The Phantom Menace where even its defenders admited it was weak, but said it wasn't as bad as people were claiming. You get many defenders of TLJ like me that argue it is the equal of ANH and TESB but I have seen people claiming TLJ is so bad it needs to be stricken from the canon. My new thesis is that so many people hate it because it is more Ryan Johnson's vision of what a Star Wars film should be and is more distinctive than the others. Either that or a reaction to him being willing to tear down many sacred idols.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds