October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Have You Ever Walked Out on a Movie?

More
11 Apr 2018 18:27 #267312 by Shellhead
Have you ever walked out on a movie? Which movie(s) and why?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2018 19:05 #267318 by hotseatgames
I walked out of Beverly Hills Cop 3. Anyone who has seen it would know why, but for the uninitiated, it's really awful.

More
11 Apr 2018 19:18 #267320 by Ancient_of_MuMu
3 times in my life all in my late teens/early 20s.

I have a really bad blood/syringe phobia and I walked out of two because I was having such a bad panic attack that I would have fainted had I stayed in the cinema. The first was Naked Lunch about mid way through after Peter Weller injected his wife in the legs with drugs and the second was Blade when right at the start they have the bloodbath with the sprinklers in the abattoir. I tried re-watching Blade on Netflix a few months ago because it is acclaimed and thought that knowing that scene was coming I would be ok, but no, I had to stop at the same point. I nearly fainted in Trainspotting and Killing Zoe as well but with some sugar close by in the cinema I managed to stay conscious.

My wife and I walked out on The Lost World because she finds dinosaurs terrifying and she was siting on the floor of the cinema with her back to the screen and I realised it was stupid to stay there.

So I have only walked out on films in a cinema when someone is having such an extreme reaction that it is mainly for self preservation. However there have been so many films I couldn't name them all that I have stopped mid way through due to them being shithouse when watching at home.

There is one special reason for stopping a film mid-way at home. We were watching "Immortals" and 5 minutes in Theseus's mother goes to the local temple and the priest is wearing this awesome hat with candles on it. I promptly stopped the film declaring that the film could never have anything better in it than the priest's hat and that any further watching would sully our memory of the hat. A couple of weeks later we decided that was the stupidest reason ever not to finish watching a film, we got to the scene with the priests hat (and cheered), and then the scene after Theseus's mother leaves the temple and talks to him and after she asks why he doesn't go to temple and he says he doesn't really believe in the gods and "besides the priest wears a ridiculous hat". I promptly stopped the film again as we were wrong as the peak of the film was a couple of minutes later.

More
11 Apr 2018 19:20 #267321 by hotseatgames
So your wife is incredibly brave for trying to face her fear of dinosaurs, or incredibly uninformed. ;)

More
11 Apr 2018 19:29 #267322 by Jackwraith
I've never walked out on a film, because I usually research things pretty heavily before I subject myself to overpriced theaters. 90% of what's released is crap, so if I'm going to see it in a theater, I'm pretty sure that I'll like it or at least be willing to sit through it for two hours.

I have turned off a TON of movies that have shown up on the small screen via one medium or another. I think the most recent one was La La Land. Everyone was raving about it and I just couldn't make it past 20 minutes. "Let us all sing the woeful 'plaints of one able and talented enough to follow one's dreams..." Wait? Wut? And then have people singing about that ridiculous premise? No. I'm not a fan of musicals to begin with, so I guess I'm already biased, but I couldn't understand for the life of me how that film became so popular. (I thought Titanic was miserably bad, too.) I had at least one friend tell me that his wife is a huge fan of musicals and couldn't stand La La Land, so maybe I'm not alone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Msample

More
11 Apr 2018 19:51 #267324 by Black Barney
The only movie I’ve intentionally walked out of was The Night at the Roxbury. I got enough jokes into it to know I wasn’t going to laugh once

I was forced to walk out of Village of the Damned when my entire group of friends I was with (mostly young women I think) refused to watch any more. I had already seen it anyway

I almost walked out of Mirrors and The Grudge with different girlfriends at the time when we almost couldn’t take anymore being scared. I remember one of them during The Grudge turned and said, « should we just leave? » after the face in the bus window appeared which was supposed to be a « safe » scene, lol

More
11 Apr 2018 19:54 #267325 by Ancient_of_MuMu

hotseatgames wrote: So your wife is incredibly brave for trying to face her fear of dinosaurs, or incredibly uninformed. ;)

She had deluded herself that she didn't really find dinosaurs scary, and was convinced that her memory of how scary she found the original was probably over-exaggeration.

Jackwraith wrote: I had at least one friend tell me that his wife is a huge fan of musicals and couldn't stand La La Land, so maybe I'm not alone.

My wife and myself both generally love musicals and we both hate La La Land.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
11 Apr 2018 20:01 #267326 by Cranberries
I use Metacritic as my primary film rating service.

I walked out of a really boring Ingrid Bergman film in college. Good thing I was alone.

More
11 Apr 2018 21:07 #267329 by SuperflyPete
I walked out of Heat. Not because it was bad but because we were hallucinating and my wife thought it was too hectic.

We ended up getting into a Cadillac DTS exactly like the one in the movie and spent the ride home ducked down expecting the car to be riddled with police bullet holes at any time.

Bonus fact: I somehow spent 17$ on popcorn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jackwraith

More
11 Apr 2018 21:16 #267331 by Shellhead

Jackwraith wrote: I've never walked out on a film, because I usually research things pretty heavily before I subject myself to overpriced theaters. 90% of what's released is crap, so if I'm going to see it in a theater, I'm pretty sure that I'll like it or at least be willing to sit through it for two hours.

I have turned off a TON of movies that have shown up on the small screen via one medium or another. I think the most recent one was La La Land. Everyone was raving about it and I just couldn't make it past 20 minutes. "Let us all sing the woeful 'plaints of one able and talented enough to follow one's dreams..." Wait? Wut? And then have people singing about that ridiculous premise? No. I'm not a fan of musicals to begin with, so I guess I'm already biased, but I couldn't understand for the life of me how that film became so popular. (I thought Titanic was miserably bad, too.) I had at least one friend tell me that his wife is a huge fan of musicals and couldn't stand La La Land, so maybe I'm not alone.

Same here! I have never walked out on a movie, because I research in advance. I have bailed on a fair number of movies at home. And musicals are just wrong. There is something uncanny and disturbing about characters holding a conversation and then abruptly breaking into song and dancing about. I realize that a lot of people enjoy musicals, and I am comfortable in saying that they are all wrong.

More
11 Apr 2018 21:30 #267332 by jeb
I walked out of LETHAL WEAPON 2. It came out about a week after the Rodney King riots as I recall. In the first scene there is a ridiculous chase and then Mel Gibson (a cop) gets the fleeing suspect to crash a truck and the guy flies out the front of the windshield and lands in a heap on the hood. Mel handcuffs the barely aware guy to the grill and then asks if he's okay, and the guy nods a little. Then Mel punches him out and says, "You have the right to remain unconscious."

That was the punchline. Cops punching handcuffed suspects unconscious and cracking wise. I didn't need to see any more of that.

This was ages ago, more than 20 years, and perhaps I am wrong or misremembering. But I don't have any interest in finding out.

More
11 Apr 2018 21:46 #267336 by jay718
I walked out of Black Panther a few weeks back before it had even started. Although I'd bought roughly $30 worth of concessions, the ticket taker told me that unless I allowed him to search my 8 year old son's backpack for outside food and/or beverages he wouldn't allow us into the showing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Jexik, Nodens

More
11 Apr 2018 22:11 #267337 by Shellhead

jeb wrote: I walked out of LETHAL WEAPON 2. It came out about a week after the Rodney King riots as I recall. In the first scene there is a ridiculous chase and then Mel Gibson (a cop) gets the fleeing suspect to crash a truck and the guy flies out the front of the windshield and lands in a heap on the hood. Mel handcuffs the barely aware guy to the grill and then asks if he's okay, and the guy nods a little. Then Mel punches him out and says, "You have the right to remain unconscious."

That was the punchline. Cops punching handcuffed suspects unconscious and cracking wise. I didn't need to see any more of that.

This was ages ago, more than 20 years, and perhaps I am wrong or misremembering. But I don't have any interest in finding out.

I didn't walk out on it, but I didn't like the scenes in Lethal Weapon 4 where you have all these good guys ganging up on Jet Li. It probably didn't help that I had just seen Hitman the previous week.

More
11 Apr 2018 22:34 #267338 by Sagrilarus
Green Lanterm.

More
11 Apr 2018 23:58 #267340 by Space Ghost

jeb wrote: I walked out of LETHAL WEAPON 2. It came out about a week after the Rodney King riots as I recall. In the first scene there is a ridiculous chase and then Mel Gibson (a cop) gets the fleeing suspect to crash a truck and the guy flies out the front of the windshield and lands in a heap on the hood. Mel handcuffs the barely aware guy to the grill and then asks if he's okay, and the guy nods a little. Then Mel punches him out and says, "You have the right to remain unconscious."

I think it must have been Lethal Weapon 3.

Lethal Weapon 2 came out in the 80s and the opening scene has the people escaping from the overturned car.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.750 seconds