October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Have You Ever Walked Out on a Movie?

More
13 Apr 2018 09:35 - 13 Apr 2018 09:44 #267455 by Sagrilarus
I don't walk out of movies on principle. I paid, I'm getting the damn movie no matter how bad it is. I paid $1 to see Blue Steel and still felt obligated to watch it to the end. But one of my boys wasn't comfortable watching Green Lantern (the bad-guy's transformation thing) and wanted to leave, and I jumped on that grenade in a big hurry before my wife beat me to it. "Sorry hon, Riley is scared, I'll take him to Potbelly's until the movie ends. Enjoy the film!" And out the door I went. I was a GREAT dad that day.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2018 09:44 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2018 09:39 #267456 by ChristopherMD
Have a nice theater near me that's only a few years old. Reserved seating is the best thing ever. I made a choice years ago to never buy food/drinks at theaters because of the cost and most snacks/sodas there aren't exactly healthy anyways. Its really easy to go a couple hours without eating or drinking anything. I have been known to smuggle in a lollipop in spite of that. They're cheap, quiet and last a long time.

I walked out of New York Stories in 1989. It was boring and teenage me could find other stuff to do. Haven't walked out of anything since that I recall. Not opposed to walking out but particularly nowadays I am pretty selective about what I'll pay theater prices to see.

More
13 Apr 2018 09:48 #267458 by Black Barney
omg, that's so expensive guys. I see movies on weekends mostly with Emily and it's like 6-7 bucks a ticket in the afternoon. Another 10-15 for popcorn and that's about it.

During the week, it's 12$ a ticket and I'll just get a coffee for 2$ usually.

this is how I can see so many movies (I see way less now though. There was a time I was seeing 60 movies a year on average). I'm lucky to see 2 a month now.

More
13 Apr 2018 10:00 #267459 by ChristopherMD

Sagrilarus wrote: But one of my boys wasn't comfortable watching Green Lantern (the bad-guy's transformation thing) and wanted to leave, and I jumped on that grenade in a big hurry before my wife beat me to it. "Sorry hon, Riley is scared, I'll take him to Potbelly's until the movie ends. Enjoy the film!" And out the door I went. I was a GREAT dad that day.

This is how Bruce Wayne's parents got killed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Jackwraith, SuperflyPete

More
13 Apr 2018 10:03 #267460 by Sagrilarus
My wife is doing Movie Pass now, which is $10 a month. Local theaters honor it. She hits three or four films a month. Don't know how long it will last, as Movie Pass (like most app-based businesses) is hemorrhaging money with the hope to hit critical mass before their VCs cut them off. She's grabbing it while she can.

Our theaters upgraded to the fancy seats with reserved tickets. A bit of a pain in the neck though the experience is better. That said, theaters are competing against movies that magically appear at your house and play on a screen that's a higher resolution than theirs. The film producers take a big slice of their revenue. It's a hard business to be in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
13 Apr 2018 10:26 #267467 by Jexik
I've got a friend who has movie pass and will go to the movies alone unashamed. Sounds like a great deal. I wonder if they kinda go on the Planet Fitness business model where they expect most people to hardly use it and forget that they have it. Or just using the data they get on you in creative ways and selling it. It woudl definitely make it easier to walk out on an awful movie.

More
13 Apr 2018 10:38 #267472 by Black Barney
if i got that, I would see a movie each day i think. it would be a problem. I had to get rid of Netflix after a month cuz I couldn't stop binge-ing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
14 Apr 2018 03:33 #267521 by san il defanso
I haven't yet seen a movie in Manila, but prices here are WAY cheaper. Usually running 200-300 pesos, which is about $4-6. You make up for the difference in price by fighting traffic though.

I've never walked out on a movie, since I would only really do so if it was way offensive. I'm pretty good at researching enough to figure out if I'll hit that point before I ever get to the theater.

More
14 Apr 2018 18:46 #267554 by Cranberries

san il defanso wrote: I haven't yet seen a movie in Manila, but prices here are WAY cheaper. Usually running 200-300 pesos, which is about $4-6. You make up for the difference in price by fighting traffic though.

I've never walked out on a movie, since I would only really do so if it was way offensive. I'm pretty good at researching enough to figure out if I'll hit that point before I ever get to the theater.

Whoa, you're already there?! I would love to see a dedicated thread with some pics. The Philippines seems like a crazy, interesting place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
14 Apr 2018 22:41 #267561 by SuperflyPete
QpCloudy does the MoviePass thing and loves it.

More
15 Apr 2018 00:35 #267566 by san il defanso

cranberries wrote:

san il defanso wrote: I haven't yet seen a movie in Manila, but prices here are WAY cheaper. Usually running 200-300 pesos, which is about $4-6. You make up for the difference in price by fighting traffic though.

Whoa, you're already there?! I would love to see a dedicated thread with some pics. The Philippines seems like a crazy, interesting place.

This is a great idea! So far I have mostly stayed in the Manila's urban sprawl, and I've not made it to anything truly impressive yet. Hopefully we make it out either into the city to see the sights, or out of the city to see something less crowded.

Actually I've connected with a Filipino board gaming group already. Haven't been able to make it to an event yet, but soon I hope.

More
15 Apr 2018 08:55 #267571 by Black Barney
They like their vidja games out there. We have an office there and there’s a bunch of gamers. You can convert them!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds