October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Which INFINITIES are you WARRING?

More
27 Apr 2018 22:56 #272106 by Josh Look
I guess no spoilers?

Just got back. I need some time to just sit. But damn, was it fantastic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2018 23:03 #272107 by ChristopherMD
No big deal to spoiler tag. It's taken me all day to decompress this movie. As I said in the movies thread it was everything I wanted.

Warning: Spoiler!

More
28 Apr 2018 02:05 #272116 by Disgustipater
Strictly from a story perspective, should I see Black Panther before Infinity War? I know it's a great movie blah blah blah, but I'm really burned out on Marvel movies. Will Infinity War be better if I see Black Panther?

More
28 Apr 2018 02:34 #272117 by Cranberries
I have marvel burnout syndrome but bp was kinda cool.

More
28 Apr 2018 03:16 #272119 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Disgustipater wrote: Strictly from a story perspective, should I see Black Panther before Infinity War? I know it's a great movie blah blah blah, but I'm really burned out on Marvel movies. Will Infinity War be better if I see Black Panther?

As long as you are vaguely aware of the characters in the MCU almost any film can be skipped as Infinity War is mostly self contained. My wife hadn't seen the films with Vision and Scarlet Witch and they probably get more screen time than the Black Panther characters and she coped fine with Infinity War.

More
28 Apr 2018 07:40 #272123 by Josh Look
Do you know what Wakanda is? If yes, you’ll be fine.

More
28 Apr 2018 09:33 #272127 by Black Barney
I had an opportunity to go to a premiere of this Thursday night for free but chose to sleep instead :(

More
28 Apr 2018 10:11 #272132 by Disgustipater

Josh Look wrote: Do you know what Wakanda is? If yes, you’ll be fine.

That's mainly why I asked, since I know part of it takes place in Wakanda.

More
28 Apr 2018 12:26 #272144 by Josh Look
I’ve had some time and I’m ready talk about a few important points, spoiler free. This all might come off as hyperbole, but believe it or not, I think it’s the truth and I’m not just saying to to fuel the hype machine.

-This movie, being the first he really plays a substantial role in, instantly puts Thanos into the elite group of movie villains, along side the ranks of Darth Vader, The Joker, etc. Certainly does not fall into the habit of underdeveloped MCU villains AT ALL. He owns this movie.

-I’ve thought that Marvel’s movies were just as valid if not more so than what they’re doing in comics these days, but this movie is where that becomes fully realized. It’s an *event*, fully freeing itself from being a slave to the source material, bringing the universe fully into its own with real consequences. It is the cinematic equilivilant of a major event in comics, and it feels like the next evolution of the franchise. They’ve changed the genre yet again.

-Continuing off of it being an event, I think for people who grew up on these movies, this is a moment to be remembered for years to come. Regardless of where the story goes from here, the people who have been going to the movies leading up to this over the last 10 years, especially kids, have their Empire Strikes Back cinematic experience.

-I’m coming up empty handed on an MCU movie I enjoy more. It has over 40 characters, I don’t feel any of the major ones got slighted. Meanwhile DC can’t seem to get 6 of them right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, ChristopherMD, Cranberries

More
28 Apr 2018 12:33 #272145 by Black Barney
Seems a little early for the villain comment, give it a few days, but you have got me really curious now.

More
28 Apr 2018 12:35 #272147 by Josh Look

Black Barney wrote: Seems a little early for the villain comment, give it a few days, but you have got me really curious now.

Like I say, it’s his movie. I’d almost go as far as to call him the main character.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, stormseeker75

More
28 Apr 2018 15:21 #272154 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Josh Look wrote: -I’ve thought that Marvel’s movies were just as valid if not more so than what they’re doing in comics these days, but this movie is where that becomes fully realized. It’s an *event*, fully freeing itself from being a slave to the source material, bringing the universe fully into its own with real consequences.

Major spoiler discussion in here:

More
28 Apr 2018 17:29 #272161 by Josh Look

More
30 Apr 2018 10:08 #272247 by Joebot
Sitting down in the theater and waiting for the movie to start, it occurred to me that I haven't been that excited to see a movie in a really long time. I feel like TV shows have supplanted movies in our cultural consciousness in the past 15 years, but this was a throwback to a time when movies were king. This felt like an Event.

As for the movie itself ... I had a blast. Big scary bad guy, some really fun team-ups, great action, and some legitimately goosebump-inducing moments. And of course it was funny too. "You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards!"

I know there are fair criticisms to aim at Marvel movies, but I think they deserve a ton of credit for what they've accomplished. Nobody had ever tried to mimic the comic book-style inter-connected, ongoing, serialized story with movies before. And all the pretenders that have tried (and failed) to copy Marvel goes to show that it's not as easy as it looks. What kills me is when people complain about how Marvel sucks all the oxygen out of the movie industry. There are too many Marvel movies!! They make THREE movies a year. How many rom-coms come out every year, and you never read any hand-wringing, bullshit thinkpieces about how there are too many rom-coms.

Anyway, here be spoilers ...

More
30 Apr 2018 13:48 #272284 by Black Barney
the complaint about the Marvel movies sucking oxygen isn't that they are bad or anything. It's that because the Marvel movies are guaranteed money-makers, studios have become much less willing to take risk unless it's a superhero movie, sequel to a successful franchise or a rom-com. It's hard for risky movies to get produced now, much more than before. That's the main beef people have with Marvel movies. It's not the fault of the movies or anything.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.306 seconds