October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Which INFINITIES are you WARRING?

More
02 May 2018 09:39 #272469 by Sagrilarus

Erik Twice wrote: I thought the movie was a blast! I had some laughs, had fun with the characters and liked the melodrama. Is it actually deep? Who cares, I was there for three hours having fun and never thought I needed more. It's nerdy stuff, and dumb in the same way cool bipedal combat robots are. It's not that it's dumb, per se, it's that the dumb stuff is a large part of the appeal.

Warning: Spoiler!

A spoiler (somewhat) response:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2018 11:05 #272481 by Gregarius
One thing's for certain-- DC's totally fucked with their Darkseid Anti-Life Equation aspirations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
02 May 2018 14:21 - 02 May 2018 14:23 #272519 by Josh Look
Sag, I plan on going back and re-reading The Infinity Gauntlet to see how they did it there. Thanos was even more unstoppable and
, but I remember it being cool.

And *thats* why we do it with superheroes. It can get weird, it can get imaginative, and, unrealistic it may be, it can distill things down to big, bold ideals that, at times, can empower on a more accessible level than any simple, dull military bullshit can. That layer of detachment and escapism sort of breaks down barriers with folks.
Last edit: 02 May 2018 14:23 by Josh Look.

More
02 May 2018 15:07 #272522 by SebastianBludd

More
02 May 2018 15:10 #272523 by Sagrilarus

Josh Look wrote: Sag, I plan on going back and re-reading The Infinity Gauntlet to see how they did it there. Thanos was even more unstoppable and

And *thats* why we do it with superheroes. It can get weird, it can get imaginative, and, unrealistic it may be, it can distill things down to big, bold ideals that, at times, can empower on a more accessible level than any simple, dull military bullshit can. That layer of detachment and escapism sort of breaks down barriers with folks.

I'm ok with the imaginative solution. But it does sort of mean that all the punching and shooting is pointless.

More
02 May 2018 16:17 - 02 May 2018 18:23 #272527 by SebastianBludd

Sagrilarus wrote: I'm ok with the imaginative solution. But it does sort of mean that all the punching and shooting is pointless.

MCU movie "punching and shooting" has ranged from "good" (i.e., the Nick Fury and Winter Soldier ambushes in Winter Soldier) to "not this shit again" (i.e., the Wakanda fight in Infinity War), which is one of the reasons why I'm such a big fan of Dr. Strange. There aren't a bajillion interchangeable CGI bad guys during the climax, nor is there a part where Dr. Strange is shooting a magical ray out of his hand to stop the villain's magical ray (and Dr. Strange totally won because he was able to push the villain's ray back because he wanted it more!); it's just a smart guy using his new abilities and his intellect to outwit and extort a victory from the villain.
Last edit: 02 May 2018 18:23 by SebastianBludd.

More
02 May 2018 16:28 #272529 by Black Barney
i could watch those chicks use them spears in Black Panther all day long. They were SO bad ass, it was awesome
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
02 May 2018 16:37 #272531 by Josh Look

Sagrilarus wrote:

Josh Look wrote: Sag, I plan on going back and re-reading The Infinity Gauntlet to see how they did it there. Thanos was even more unstoppable and

I'm ok with the imaginative solution. But it does sort of mean that all the punching and shooting is pointless.

But that’s comic books for ya.

More
04 May 2018 20:46 #272694 by hotseatgames
Just got back from this. Overall I think it was a fun movie, with some pluses and minuses...
+ looked great
+ most characters got plenty of screen time
+ Thor was awesome
- overall too long
- none of it feels like it has any weight because I know they won't leave things like they are
+- now I feel more compelled to see Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther
- if you didn't know who characters were before this film, you still wouldn't since it assumes you have already watched 10+ hours of MCU
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
07 May 2018 09:41 #272778 by charlest
I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it. I'm not a big fan of the MCU (It's alright), but this may be my favorite yet. What I enjoyed was that it had real stakes - something I feel is missing from every single super hero film I've seen (Civil War was very benign because of this). Bravo on the ending.

More
07 May 2018 09:50 #272780 by Sagrilarus

charlest wrote: I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it. I'm not a big fan of the MCU (It's alright), but this may be my favorite yet. What I enjoyed was that it had real stakes - something I feel is missing from every single super hero film I've seen (Civil War was very benign because of this). Bravo on the ending.

It doesn't give you pause that they're going to Ctrl-Z everything done at the end in the sequel due out next Spring?

More
07 May 2018 10:05 - 07 May 2018 10:06 #272782 by ChristopherMD

Sagrilarus wrote:

charlest wrote: I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it. I'm not a big fan of the MCU (It's alright), but this may be my favorite yet. What I enjoyed was that it had real stakes - something I feel is missing from every single super hero film I've seen (Civil War was very benign because of this). Bravo on the ending.

It doesn't give you pause that they're going to Ctrl-Z everything done at the end in the sequel due out next Spring?

Last edit: 07 May 2018 10:06 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gregarius

More
07 May 2018 10:17 #272783 by charlest

Sagrilarus wrote:

If they undo pretty much everything they did then I will not be happy and it will change how I feel about this film. I haven't read much about the sequel, but this article suggests we don't know for sure if any of the deaths will be undone: www.digitalspy.com/movies/the-avengers/n...not-what-you-expect/

More
07 May 2018 10:42 - 07 May 2018 10:43 #272784 by Gregarius
I agree with ChristopherMD.

Edit: used Hidden tag instead of Spoiler
Last edit: 07 May 2018 10:43 by Gregarius.

More
07 May 2018 12:39 #272799 by Sagrilarus
I am simply too practical for my own entertainment’s good. But I can’t really change that.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds