October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

The Rain (Netflix)

More
18 May 2018 11:43 #273617 by ChristopherMD

Started watching this Danish show that Netflix picked up. I'm a sucker for anything post-apocalyptic as long as it doesn't have zombies. I like seeing the urban decay and usually there's decent morality issues to think about. In this show some kind of plague is carried in the rain then spreads among people. Brother and sister spend years inside a bunker then come out after they run out of food. Most everyone is long dead outside except for a few other survivors, most of whom are starving and will kill for a few crumbs. The sister knows where other supplied bunkers are so they're using those as waypoints as they try to get somewhere that wasn't infected. Not a groundbreaking show but good enough I'll keep going.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2018 15:13 #273632 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic The Rain (Netflix)
I tried to watch it for a few episodes. It has some good points. But, I just couldn't get past the fact that the virus lives in the rain drops and water. How are you going to avoid water, especially in a bunker's air-system. Haven't they heard about condensation, dew, mist, and air-borne vapor? How're you going to avoid that? These shows are inconsistent when it comes to transmission of viruses or what have you.

I also can't stand the zombie genre because the following always bugs me: Is the virus or bacteria blood borne? Why is it transmitted by only a bite or a scratch? Why doesn't it exist in blood splatter? Also, what energy source animates the tissue for a zombie? They eat, supposedly because of a primal hunger from the base function of the hypothalamus, but, they are incapable of digestion since those parts decompose. Where's the energy coming from if the Law of Conservation of Energy and Mass exists?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
18 May 2018 15:33 #273633 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic The Rain (Netflix)
It's nice when stories can get along with science, but if you have to be strict about that kind of thing, you might as well give up on 99% of shows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
18 May 2018 15:36 #273634 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic The Rain (Netflix)

hotseatgames wrote: It's nice when stories can get along with science, but if you have to be strict about that kind of thing, you might as well give up on 99% of shows.

I dig the fantasy side of it, but, at some point, science fiction has to have a bit of science in it or it isn't believable and distracts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
18 May 2018 15:47 #273636 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic The Rain (Netflix)
I've seen three episodes so far. There is a lot to like. They play well, it's well paced and they know how to build tension, I think. Also, being Danish it's great to see something like this come out of Denmark - it's NOT the stuff we're usually known to make. I do, however, hate the corners they cut to drive the action forward. Why couldn't the dad spend literally one extra minute explaning stuff? Why won't the people they meet later on? That kind of things are just tired tropes when it comes to post-apocalyptic stories, and I wish they'd taken less short cuts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
21 May 2018 09:45 - 21 May 2018 09:46 #273786 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic The Rain (Netflix)
I'm leaping to the conclusion you're watching it in Danish. For the rest of us it's dubbed into English, and the technical aspect of it is quite good. The voices seem to fit the motion well and it's not disruptive. Though at one point one of the kids looked at his teacher and said, "I have to take a dump first" which struck me as a phrase that most kids, even disruptive ones, would not use with a teacher. Little things.

I've literally watched about eight minutes so far. But it looked interesting enough to continue. Just need to find some TV time when the rest of the family isn't in tow.

S.
Last edit: 21 May 2018 09:46 by Sagrilarus.

More
21 May 2018 09:51 #273789 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic The Rain (Netflix)
2 episodes in and I really like it.

More
21 May 2018 12:26 #273817 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic The Rain (Netflix)
I finished the season. I did watch in Danish with subtitles which should be an option on Netflix. I liked it overall. All the questions I wanted answered were and some hooks for another season were added near the end. The only episode I didn't care for was a really predictable one that you'll know as soon as you get to it. Hope it gets another season announced soon.

More
22 May 2018 02:30 #273857 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic The Rain (Netflix)

Sagrilarus wrote: I'm leaping to the conclusion you're watching it in Danish. For the rest of us it's dubbed into English, and the technical aspect of it is quite good. The voices seem to fit the motion well and it's not disruptive. Though at one point one of the kids looked at his teacher and said, "I have to take a dump first" which struck me as a phrase that most kids, even disruptive ones, would not use with a teacher. Little things.

I've literally watched about eight minutes so far. But it looked interesting enough to continue. Just need to find some TV time when the rest of the family isn't in tow.

S.

I do watch it in Danish. And while that sentence is obviously in there for comedic effect andd ( not something you would normally say, it's more inappropriate than rude. But in Denmark teachers also go by their first names and "fuck" has been incorporated as a word you'd (also) use instead of "oh shoot" or "damn" or some such. So maybe we are just rather rude as a people.

More
22 May 2018 12:06 #273881 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic The Rain (Netflix)
Wait, there are people who watch shows dubbed? Seems weird. When I was watching Babylon Berlin, there was a bug in the Netflix app where even though I set it to German audio, it would start in English. The dubbed voices were really jarring, and they didn't make much attempt to match the original audio. It sounded real bad.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds