October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

SOLO - LET'S TALK (KEEP SPOILERS IN TAGS)

More
11 Jun 2018 16:11 - 11 Jun 2018 16:13 #275121 by Black Barney
ok everybody shut up, i just booked Thursday evening at 7pm to see it.

I'll see it and then you'll all know what's what.

btw, i LOVE Jexik's ranking list. It's very bold.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2018 16:13 by Black Barney.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2018 16:28 #275123 by Matt Thrower

Black Barney wrote: btw, i LOVE Jexik's ranking list. It's very bold.

Blimey, isn't just?

Mine would be:

RO > VI > V > VIII > IV > VII > Solo > I > III > II

To be honest, I'm not sure whether The Last Jedi might actually be higher, but nostalgia gets in the way of a decent judgement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
11 Jun 2018 16:33 #275125 by ChristopherMD
Surprised that Return of the Jedi is Matt's second favorite.

Mine would be;

IV > RO > V > everything else

More
11 Jun 2018 16:37 #275127 by charlest
Yeah, that order is bananas Matt. IV being in the middle is ludicrous.

More
11 Jun 2018 17:24 #275133 by Black Barney
I think I like IV best but V is close. I like be seeing RO so high up on people’s lists.

Also it’s important to know terrible garbage from garbage. Phantom Menace is far better than Attack of the Clones and I’m glad to see Ep3 getting proper hate .

I was watching pieces of ep 2 and 3 last night and I simply cannot believe the script at times. Especially every conversation between Anakin and Padme. They are unreal how bad those conversations are written
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest, Nodens

More
11 Jun 2018 17:25 #275134 by barrowdown
I have not seen anything after the prequel trilogy, but VI > V > IV??? Get out of here with that garbage.

More
11 Jun 2018 17:30 #275135 by Black Barney
There’s a certain age range out there that all saw VI at the perfect age to see it and can’t shake that magical memory. I don’t hold it against them

Also, girls like that movie

More
11 Jun 2018 17:34 #275136 by barrowdown
That only holds if you have never seen it again and can acknowledge that little you had terrible taste.

Would you defend someone suggesting that Temple of Doom was the best? Or would you call them out for being the wrongest wronger who ever was wrong?

More
11 Jun 2018 17:41 #275138 by Black Barney
I think Temple of Doom might be my favourite cuz of the insane things it did it to me as kid. Probably the most shocking thing I had seen up to that point. At recess we were all pretending to rip out each other’s hearts

...still have never travelled to India

More
11 Jun 2018 17:46 - 11 Jun 2018 17:46 #275139 by ChristopherMD
The heart thing didn't freak me out half as much as "snake surprise".
Last edit: 11 Jun 2018 17:46 by ChristopherMD.

More
11 Jun 2018 20:48 #275153 by san il defanso
I've watched all the original Indiana Jones movies in the past week, and while Raiders is obviously the best, I would totally buy an argument that Temple of Doom is second best.

More
11 Jun 2018 21:20 #275155 by Michael Barnes
Temple of Doom upsets people, like many sequels or prequels, because it’s not just like it’s predecessor. Raiders is like post-War serial pulp. Temple is more like pre-War pulp novels. It’s more “exotic” and it has that frankly pretty racist “orientalist” approach. It’s also lighter, broader, and definitely more lacivious. It opens with a -musical- number, FFS.

More
11 Jun 2018 22:42 #275160 by san il defanso

Michael Barnes wrote: Temple of Doom upsets people, like many sequels or prequels, because it’s not just like it’s predecessor. Raiders is like post-War serial pulp. Temple is more like pre-War pulp novels. It’s more “exotic” and it has that frankly pretty racist “orientalist” approach. It’s also lighter, broader, and definitely more lacivious. It opens with a -musical- number, FFS.

I actually think it would be my favorite, if it was a bit less overtly offensive. It also takes the darkness just a little too far for me, particularly watching Indy hit both Short Round and Willie.

But man, the action and the atmosphere is just top notch. It's certainly the most gripping movie in the series. The mine cart chase might be my favorite in the series. And the whole set underground looks so great. It really is the best kind of 80s blockbuster in that sense.

I can't help but think it could have been better if the cult was being used by the British to control the locals. Then they could be rescued by the Maharajah's men at the end. Right now it's the British who save them at the end, which is not a great look.

More
11 Jun 2018 23:35 #275162 by Ancient_of_MuMu

MattDP wrote:

Black Barney wrote: btw, i LOVE Jexik's ranking list. It's very bold.

Blimey, isn't just?

Mine would be:

RO > VI > V > VIII > IV > VII > Solo > I > III > II

To be honest, I'm not sure whether The Last Jedi might actually be higher, but nostalgia gets in the way of a decent judgement.

My list is similar:

VIII >> V > IV > VII > VI > RO >> Solo > III > I > II

The Last Jedi is a masterpiece. I watched it the other day and it still brought out a huge range of emotions in me.

Rouge One I really liked at the cinema but haven't had any interest in seeing it again, so while initially I may have had it higher it is slipping.

More
12 Jun 2018 00:11 #275164 by Grudunza
Yeah, Short Round is practically JarJar. Still, a lot of really fun stuff in that one. It’s a clear third behind Raiders and Last Crusade, but it’s great in its way.

I do think the Baby Driver actor would have been more of a natural fit for Han, but I disagree somewhat about Ehrenreich, Barnes. He was terrific in Hail, Caesar, and was fine here. I bought him more in the role as it went on. But I blame the writing for the role itself not being very good. He was given very little of real character to say or do. What does it say about a movie about one of the coolest characters ever that he was almost the straight man to everyone else? Then again, I suppose Han was always more of a side character, except in Force Awakens.

But they also fucked up his whole story, IMO. When we meet him in ANH, he’s a scrappy guy who is jaded and cynical and talks shit (Obi-Wan and Luke both know it), but he has some skill and charm and that gets him by. This movie has to put him into the big story, with huge implications, when the Han we knew stayed far away from that, and his defining change as a person came at that later point. What made his character so compelling is that he was flying by the seat of his pants and in above his head on the Death Star and when he returns in the trench run. That’s his star turn. But according to Solo, he’s always been a big player on the periphery of notoriety and heroism. That detracts from what we see later and makes it less meaningful, unlike Rogue One, which helps illuminate some things in ANH.

My favorite thing of Han’s in this film was right near the beginning, where he does the dumb fake bomb thing with the rock, but then uses it to smash the window. That was something clever and fun. So little of that anywhere else, though as you say, Lando gets some fun moments.

I don’t know if a looser Lord and Miller version would have been better, but I think it would have felt more in character, and at least had some more laughs. (Almost no laughs and no cheers at all in the packed theater where I saw this, compared to many of both for TLJ.) L&M probably recognized some stiffness in the script and were trying to play with it a bit.

I think Kathleen Kennedy might be the next George Lucas at this point... needs to get out of the way of it in order for it to really move forward. Then again, she greenlit the new trilogies by Ryan Johnson and the GoT guys. If they end up being great, then she’ll deserve credit and I’ll gladly eat my words.

IV = V > VII > VIII > RO > VI > Solo......................................... > I > III > II
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds