October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Jack Chick has died

More
30 Oct 2016 12:57 #237190 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Jack Chick has died
I'm not sure how I fucked that up. I was trying to walk a line down the middle and allow for both opinions. I should have just said nothing I guess.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2016 21:44 - 30 Oct 2016 21:48 #237203 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Jack Chick has died
And I wasn't really trying to denigrate the bible- just stating a irrefutable fact about it. Sure, it's inspired people, nations even. It's given a lot people a sense of hope, balance and direction. But the sad truth of it is that because of the Bible,children have beaten, people have been discriminated against or generally mistreated based on sex, color, creed, etc. People have been lead into lives wracked with guilt, doubt and self-denial. This is all well short of the way it had been used to justify genocide and war. People have have been butchered for believing a slightly different version of the Bible. This is not "the Barnes view" or an opinion- just a demonstratable fact.

The point was, which I may not have expressed clearly, that if these silly little comics have done all of this damage, what about the source material? Granted, Chick Christianity is certainly not that which I was raised with (100% Roman Catholic, therefore I worship the Antichrist) and it is like so many other negative interpretations of the Bible wrong-headed and out of context. This doesn't make the Bible bad. But it does make it potentially dangerous in the wrong hands.

But here's the thing. I've never heard of anyone taking these stupid things seriously- let alone being injured by them. They've always been something to lampoon and laugh at, wackadoo, crackpot nonsense. Some of you guys are literally the first people I've ever seen that have treated these things like something that could actually do damage. The viewpoints in them are vile, but in an almost cartoonish way. I can't imagine anyone- gay, Jewish, Catholic, in a rock band, whatever- granting these tracts a degree of power to change hearts and minds.

Which is in contrast to the Bible, a genuinely powerful book that does change hearts and minds. Unfortunately, those changes are not always positive. It's what happens when humans interpret things that are ambiguous, handed down over the centuries, and grounded in spirituality and morality.

Now with all of that said, let's be clear about something historical. Renaissance painters were more inspired by patronage than by the Bible.

Finally, to close is out, we all agree that Chick Christianity is sick and perverted and that hopefully God gave him one hell of a comeuppance at the Pearly Gates.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2016 21:48 by Michael Barnes.

More
31 Oct 2016 09:30 #237228 by Thrun
Replied by Thrun on topic Jack Chick has died
The pope is here for the next day and a half, I'll try and stop by his hotel and get him to leave a FAT: exclusive comment
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
17 Jan 2017 10:26 #242547 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Jack Chick has died
So, appropriate to resurrecting an old thread--

Someone stuffed a Chick Tract in my car door handle this morning called "The Walking Dead."

Sadly, it's not very good or controversial or extreme. Pretty lame, actually. Now I have to decide whether or not to leave it out in the break area of my office...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds