October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Sci-Fi Book Club Recommendation Part 2

More
04 Aug 2017 17:16 #252145 by repoman

Southernman wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: I enjoyed Caves of Steel too.

Did you not read the following one The Naked Sun ? I liked the detective theme to them, and a bit of casually hidden racism from the main character.

I've read them both but I think Caves of Steel is a bit better. The robot, R. Daneel Olivaw's story continues as well in The Robots of Dawn and Robots and Empire and also even farther into Prelude to Foundation and several others. It's been 30 years since I read them but I think the Robot series was pretty good while the prelude to Foundation stuff was only so-so.

I hear tell that the Foundation has a TV series in development. I don't have high hopes but maybe it'll be good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2017 17:54 #252147 by southernman

repoman wrote:

Southernman wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: I enjoyed Caves of Steel too.

Did you not read the following one The Naked Sun ? I liked the detective theme to them, and a bit of casually hidden racism from the main character.

I've read them both but I think Caves of Steel is a bit better. The robot, R. Daneel Olivaw's story continues as well in The Robots of Dawn and Robots and Empire and also even farther into Prelude to Foundation and several others. It's been 30 years since I read them but I think the Robot series was pretty good while the prelude to Foundation stuff was only so-so.

I hear tell that the Foundation has a TV series in development. I don't have high hopes but maybe it'll be good.

Yep, I liked the way he converged the Foundation and the Robots series.

More
05 Aug 2017 09:51 #252156 by Erik Twice
Since we have been talking about Terraforming Mars so much, how solid is the Mars trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars)? What angle does it have?

More
07 Aug 2017 23:01 #252228 by engineer Al

Erik Twice wrote: Since we have been talking about Terraforming Mars so much, how solid is the Mars trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars)? What angle does it have?

I have all three of these books in my "library". I read the first one years ago. It was a very "hard sci-fi" story centering on the trails and tribulations of the first settlement on Mars. It was enjoyable and had some cool bits, but for some reason I never picked up the second book. I'm really not sure why, I was just never compelled to continue. . .

More
09 Aug 2017 14:30 #252299 by engineer Al
So what's up, Dabid? Did you choose a book?

More
09 Aug 2017 19:58 #252316 by Da Bid Dabid
We meet next Wednesday, 16th. I have it down to The Stars My Destination, The Mote in God's Eye, and Ted Chiang stories. We have not done a short story compilation and I'm not sure how many people have already read the above choices, so I will ask the group about that before finalizing the pick (I'll try to let you know when I choose and what the reaction ends up being). I think I will read Vance on my own and likely Foundation will sit another few years until I get motivated to tackle a big multi-book project.

As for all the suggestions I can't thank everyone enough. A lot of great stuff suggested, Book of the New Sun in particular is one of my all time favorites. I would like to add that as someone who has never really thought they would be in a book club, being in this sci fi/fantasy book club has been fantastic. Friends I thought would have no interest at all have dove in and really made for great discussion and reflection. Far easier to put together a quality book club than a quality board game group, if you've ever thought about starting or joining something like this I say you owe it to yourself to give it a go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
06 Feb 2018 19:36 #263062 by Da Bid Dabid
I totally forgot about this thread I had made and was reminded when I saw someone was reading Book of the New Sun in the what books have you been reading thread. So long story short I had been confused and my book pick was actually the month after. I ended up choosing, The Stars My Destination, and absolutely loved it. I think maybe a top 5 sci-fi novel for me. Overall it was met with much acclaim from the whole group. It also convinced me to pick up some of Bester's other stuff (which has been OK, but nowhere near the level of Stars). We have had 4 or 5 other novel's since then but honestly, I can't even name some of them because Stars sticks out in my mind so much. Go read this novel if you haven't!

Currently, we are about to discuss Wool (Silo series) and it has been pretty good. Although maybe would have been even stronger if the first chapter was just a short story and it ended.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
06 Feb 2018 20:13 #263065 by stoic

Da Bid Dabid wrote: I totally forgot about this thread I had made and was reminded when I saw someone was reading Book of the New Sun in the what books have you been reading thread. So long story short I had been confused and my book pick was actually the month after. I ended up choosing, The Stars My Destination, and absolutely loved it. I think maybe a top 5 sci-fi novel for me. Overall it was met with much acclaim from the whole group. It also convinced me to pick up some of Bester's other stuff (which has been OK, but nowhere near the level of Stars). We have had 4 or 5 other novel's since then but honestly, I can't even name some of them because Stars sticks out in my mind so much. Go read this novel if you haven't!

Currently, we are about to discuss Wool (Silo series) and it has been pretty good. Although maybe would have been even stronger if the first chapter was just a short story and it ended.

I read the entire Silo series and enjoyed it. It's a great Post-Apocalyptic Dystopian mystery story. It was also one of the first self-published books on Kindle that I read, and, it was free when I read it. The first chapters are best as the story decelerates and grows tedious towards the last few chapters. I think you're right that it should have remained a short story, or, just feels that way.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds