October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

An update on my life

More
09 Feb 2016 19:50 #222132 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic An update on my life
Wow. Good luck with everything, MuMu. Glad to hear that there's a chance for a genuinely stable outcome with that kind of cancer. Hope she gets home soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2016 19:53 #222133 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic An update on my life
Best of wishes to you guys. Prior to my marriage I had my wife stuck in a wheelchair for 1 year due to spine correcting procedure, and while this is incomparable to what are you going through, I sort of know how you feel.

And, uh, thanks for the additional boobs-detail.

More
09 Feb 2016 21:04 #222136 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic An update on my life
That sucks and I hope things turn out as well as possible.

Make sure you drop at least 25% of your income on faith healers and doctors running clinics in a 3rd-world country to avoid prosecution by the closed-minded establishment. They're your best bet for a positive outcome.

More
09 Feb 2016 22:35 #222141 by Ancient_of_MuMu
You guys ruined it for yourselves. If you hadn't told her to stay positive, she wouldn't believe that she had a reputation to maintain post-cancer and would have posted a photo of her boobs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, metalface13, daveroswell, Black Barney, Columbob

More
10 Feb 2016 03:24 #222159 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic An update on my life
Peace to you and yours in this troubling time, MuMu.

More
10 Feb 2016 03:43 #222161 by Kailes
Replied by Kailes on topic An update on my life
Best wishes to you and yours. I hope everything turns out as well as possible.

More
10 Feb 2016 09:47 #222171 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic An update on my life
Shit, I had that sinking feeling in my stomach as I was reading your post. Fucking poisoned planet. Best wishes to you and your family and keep your hopes up.

More
10 Feb 2016 13:49 #222199 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic An update on my life
Within 20 years, cancer will be a thing of the past, mostly. My brother in law worked for a company that developed a way to create mice with human immune systems, to harvest antibodies and run trials on; the long and short is that the technology shortened the timeline between idea to trials by exponential levels. His company produced an antibody based cancer treatment (which we now call onco-immunotherapy) and was snapped up by BMS. The new Yervoy product has been proven to be incredibly effective in permanently treating melanoma and some lung cancers, along with 10 others. The amazing part is that it has very few side effects, and is a ~permanent~ solution. The way it works is that it teaches your body to identify cancer as a malignant entity, killing all damaged cells and then killing them the MOMENT they reappear, long after treatment. It's a fucking cure/vaccine. Amazing shit.

I'm just hoping they get it soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Cranberries

More
10 Feb 2016 14:10 #222206 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic An update on my life
I work for an oncology therapeutic company. I admire your enthusiasm, Pete. We can do amazing things. I hope we can continue to progress on meaningful therapies for this horrific illness. Yervoy and its like are amazing, because they have made some cancers that were previously untreatable (e.g., late-stage melanoma is non-responsive to standard chemo regimens) very treatable.

I hope the President's "moonshot" for cancer pays some dividends--an era of personalized therapies could be revolutionary. Science, though, tends to be a slow process, and cancer trials are even more so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
10 Feb 2016 14:37 #222212 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic An update on my life
That's kind of the amazing thing about the mice - you basically give the poor little bastards a cancer, then treat it. Like thousands of them, and thousands of trials going on concurrently in these little dudes, all totally human trials. I anticipate that they'll be licensing this tech to everyone and their brother because it's a much faster path to success than the old ways.

I've had some amazing conversations with my BIL about this subject....they are showing that their Yervoy/Somethingorother therapies are effecacious in like 12 cancers now, including breast and distant metastatic breast cancer (why I even mentioned it). Trials are ongoing, apparently, but they've essentially been able to program these wee antibodies to identify specific proteins as pathogens, and the Army of White heads in to eat it.

I always make the joke that this therapy is injected, and your body says, "Oh! Fuck! I have cancer!" then proceeds to digest the cancer. It's not far from the truth. The knock-on of making you immune to that cancer is the real magic, though. I mean, literally, our kids' kids will be getting a vaccine that will eradicate many cancers. Thank God we can go back to dying from morbid obesity and diabetes! I've had family and friends affected by cancer (and I've had skin cancer) so this is a big deal for me.

More
10 Feb 2016 14:44 - 10 Feb 2016 14:55 #222214 by SuperFlySwatter
Unfortunately its bullshit. First of all "cancer" is not one thing, there are thousands of different kinds of cancer with all kinds of underlying histology, root cause and progression. 20 years is a laughably short time to be making any proclamations about the end of anything but a few specific cancers where they're making research advances. This is not something you can then just plug in to a completely different kind of cancer. Research programs dont work on those kind of short timescales. I will happily come back and eat my hat in 20 years but I really wont have to. Because in 20 years time cancer will in no way whatsoever be a thing of the past, despite what someone who worked for a company injecting shit into mice and treating them says, and yeah, we have multinational university collaborative projects doing that EVERY DAY here, making tiny amounts of progress in small areas, all of which are a million miles away from being anything remotely resembling a generic cure for "all human cancers". Its just not that simple, and even if it was, a huge proportion of cancers are detected way too fucking late to do shit about it. That is not the same as injecting a rat and then treating it. Whats much more likely in a 20 year timeframe is more advanced routine screening using various biological markers taken from blood and other samples that will let you get treatments before shit gets fucked up.
I'll be retiring in 21 years anyway, thereabouts, so I will definitely be crossing my fingers for a cushty last year doing fuck all but drinking coffee and scratching my nuts
Last edit: 10 Feb 2016 14:55 by SuperFlySwatter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, ThirstyMan, Erik Twice

More
10 Feb 2016 14:45 #222215 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic An update on my life
Best of luck and prayers to you MuMu -- my wife had acute leukemia, so I know how hard this kind of thing can be. Just try to stay as positive as possible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Feb 2016 14:46 #222216 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic An update on my life
One of my gaming buddies has a daughter in the midst of Leukemia treatment right now and she had significant DNA testing occur in order to tune the chemo to exactly her situation. Some medical facility in Seattle apparently is the clearing house for this kind of thing. The way things work has changed. I won't go claiming miracles, but things are definitely different from my last close encounter with cancer in 95.

His daughter is keeping a really positive attitude on the whole thing. She was playing King of Tokyo with her dad and mom and when dad announced an attack on her she said, "you can't attack me, I have cancer." She was working him through the whole game, using her illness to influence the outcome. "Do you want that to be the last thing you do playing a boardgame with me ever? You should reconsider." Dad sounded a little proud describing it to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, jeb, Cranberries

More
10 Feb 2016 14:56 - 10 Feb 2016 15:00 #222217 by SuperFlySwatter
you probably mean the Swedish Cancer Institute / Medical Centre?, one of the centres we collaborate in several projects with, my wife was involved in developing some of the advanced radiotherapy techniques there.

We'd looked at Seattle before as somewhere to move to if we ever bodded off to the states (maybe to work with the proton stuff) but now we're getting one built over here in Sweden so the missus will be working with that, and to be honest, every time I've been to the USA I've fucking hated the idea of having to live there, no offence, its just not for me.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2016 15:00 by SuperFlySwatter.

More
10 Feb 2016 15:03 #222218 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic An update on my life
I don't know how you can live that close to Norway and not live there instead

/runs
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds