October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Recommendations: One Day in Los Angeles

More
16 Feb 2018 11:54 #263743 by Cranberries
My wife just finished presenting at a conference at her California State University Dominguez Hills in Culver/Compton area. Right now she's at an AirBnB by the Los Angeles county Museum of Art on Wilshire. She has nothing planned other than going to the museum and hanging out, but doesn't have to to be at the airport until 6:00 p.m. on Saturday.

I've pointed her at Trip Advisor, but thought some of you experienced travelers might have recommendations.

www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g32655-A...RACTION_SORT_WRAPPER

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2018 11:59 #263746 by Cranberries
I just pointed her at these tours:

www.thereallosangelestours.com/

More
16 Feb 2018 13:26 #263758 by Gregarius
Without knowing her interests, it's hard to make recommendations, but...

griffithobservatory.org/

The Griffith Observatory is a great way to spend an afternoon. There are tons of hiking trails all around it (including leading to the famous Hollywood sign), the view of L.A. is pretty great, and since the rebuild a few years ago, the observatory itself is a great astronomy museum.

More
16 Feb 2018 13:31 #263760 by Michael Barnes
Whoa buddy. I love LA. But it is HUGE. Almost impossible to come up with a reasonable list. One day is TOUGH.

- Griffith Observatory is one of the things I would regard as a must see. It’s beautiful and it’s in a beautiful place overlooking the city. Go at night.

- Driving through Los Feliz is lovely. It was the first area in Hollywood where folks working in the early movies settled. Lots of beautiful homes.

- Hollywood Forever is the big cemetary- lots of very, very famous folks buried there. Last time we went we found Vincent Minnelli and paid respects.

- Pink’s is worth going to for hot dogs. They have veggie dogs, and I usually wind up there on a late night.

- Amoeba Music is a big old fashioned record store. They must have 10 million items in stock. Very cool place.

- The Getty Museum is great, the last time we were there they had a Cindy Sherman exhibition. I think they are showing Caravaggio right now.

- If you are willing to pay $45 to park, you can hang out at the Beverly Hilton. It’s where they have the Golden Globes. Lovely Hollywood Regency style, great pool and food. It is also where Whitney Houston OD’d.

- Driving out of the city a little pays off- go out to Pacific Coast Highway and drive toward Malibu or Santa Monica. Stop by a roadside vendor and get a coconut to drink. Magnificent coastline scenery, wild beaches, not many people.

- Driving further out, Palm Springs is about 3 hours away but worth it.

- All of the “big” tourist stuff sucks- Hollywood sign, Chinese Theater...all of that is like the Times Square part of it. Melrose and most of Beverly Hills, meh. Lots of expensiveness.

- The Castle of Magic is SUPER cool, but you can only get in with an invitation. In case you know any professional magicians.

I’ve still not gotten to the La Brea Tarpits, I always want to go but fail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
16 Feb 2018 13:33 #263762 by Michael Barnes
If she is just there for tonight (just read that), my plan of attack would be to do whatever until around 5-6 and then head to Griffith Park. It will be mad busy and take a while to get in. But it is worth it. Afterwards, late night hotdogs at Pink’s.

More
16 Feb 2018 14:21 #263769 by Cranberries
Ok, so she is there until tomorrow night, until 4:30. She booked a tour for tomorrow, but I'll recommend Griffith Park for tonight, whatever that it.

More
16 Feb 2018 14:40 #263772 by charlest

Michael Barnes wrote: - All of the “big” tourist stuff sucks- Hollywood sign, Chinese Theater...all of that is like the Times Square part of it. Melrose and most of Beverly Hills, meh. Lots of expensiveness.

I really enjoyed the Chinese Theater. Tour was pretty good and the guide was great.

More
16 Feb 2018 15:26 #263775 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I do wish we went in...I just had such a sour experience with the area around it.

The tour is a good idea Mark, probably the best way to see the city.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
16 Feb 2018 15:33 #263777 by Cranberries

Michael Barnes wrote: Whoa buddy. I love LA. But it is HUGE. Almost impossible to come up with a reasonable list. One day is TOUGH.

- Griffith Observatory is one of the things I would regard as a must see. It’s beautiful and it’s in a beautiful place overlooking the city. Go at night.

- Driving through Los Feliz is lovely. It was the first area in Hollywood where folks working in the early movies settled. Lots of beautiful homes.

- Hollywood Forever is the big cemetary- lots of very, very famous folks buried there. Last time we went we found Vincent Minnelli and paid respects.

- Pink’s is worth going to for hot dogs. They have veggie dogs, and I usually wind up there on a late night.

- Amoeba Music is a big old fashioned record store. They must have 10 million items in stock. Very cool place.

- The Getty Museum is great, the last time we were there they had a Cindy Sherman exhibition. I think they are showing Caravaggio right now.

- If you are willing to pay $45 to park, you can hang out at the Beverly Hilton. It’s where they have the Golden Globes. Lovely Hollywood Regency style, great pool and food. It is also where Whitney Houston OD’d.

- Driving out of the city a little pays off- go out to Pacific Coast Highway and drive toward Malibu or Santa Monica. Stop by a roadside vendor and get a coconut to drink. Magnificent coastline scenery, wild beaches, not many people.

- Driving further out, Palm Springs is about 3 hours away but worth it.

- All of the “big” tourist stuff sucks- Hollywood sign, Chinese Theater...all of that is like the Times Square part of it. Melrose and most of Beverly Hills, meh. Lots of expensiveness.

- The Castle of Magic is SUPER cool, but you can only get in with an invitation. In case you know any professional magicians.

I’ve still not gotten to the La Brea Tarpits, I always want to go but fail.

I clicked on the "newest messages" icon and completely missed this long note, thank you. She's just up the street from the Tar Pits so I think she's going to see those as well. We are both talking about moving somewhere besides the place where we live, or at least traveling more.

More
16 Feb 2018 17:32 #263789 by jeb
I live north of LA, and Mike's post mirrors my thoughts. Griffith Observatory is great. The Getty is great, La Brea (Page Museum) is great (and right next to LACMA). I haven't been to the Broad but I heard that's good too.

Hollywood Blvd, where they aim all the tourists, is ... touristy. You won't see any famous people, everything is overpriced, it's tacky. If you want to bump into celebs, head to Malibu or Pacific Palisades and get a coffee. The celebrities are the ones in ratty clothes and $700 glasses.

More
16 Feb 2018 18:47 #263792 by Michael Barnes
But...but...I met Iron Man. And Mickey Mouse...and Pikachu was standing next to Marilyn Monroe (are they an item). All on Hollywood Boulevard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
17 Feb 2018 22:41 #263828 by Cranberries
She went on a walking tour of old downtown Los Angeles. The depression and armies of homeless kept the area ungentrified until the preservation act kicked in. She said she really liked it and is boarding her plane right now.

More
17 Feb 2018 22:51 #263830 by Michael Barnes
One of the really awesome things about LA is that you get this mix of completely down and out and then the scuzzy celebs in $700 glasses, driving around in McLarens. It’s the highest of the high end...but the down and out is literally right around the corner. It’s a compelling mix.

One of my favorite LA moments was walking with River and Scarlett down Melrose (might have been Sunset) and we walked into this random comic shop. It was a special event night, and it was done up like a funk club. And then I see George Clinton. It’s some kind of Parliament/Funkadelic art exhibit. And I just wandered in with my kids.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Cranberries, Black Barney

More
29 Apr 2018 12:18 #272193 by Cranberries
We are headed to El Segundo!

More
29 Apr 2018 12:32 #272194 by Michael Barnes
Don’t leave your wallet!
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds