October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

What home repairs are you working on?

More
22 Dec 2023 20:03 #341382 by Sagrilarus

Rliyen wrote: The quick charger was FUSED to the outlet, like melted the outlet cover and everything.

Sounds like your breaker failed to trip. How old are they?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2023 10:38 #341419 by Rliyen

Sagrilarus wrote:

Rliyen wrote: The quick charger was FUSED to the outlet, like melted the outlet cover and everything.

Sounds like your breaker failed to trip. How old are they?

About as old as the house, which was built in 1984. I may look into finding a replacement next.

As for the outlet problem, I went and bought 10 heavy duty and several lighter duty outlets for the ones that had additional wiring. I spent Friday, Saturday, and Sunday replacing outlets in the den, the dining area, the master bedroom, and the hall to my office and son's room. I also bought a new sensor switch for the hall since that one was failing as well.

That one was a story unto itself. When I removed the unit from the wall, I saw that whomever did the wiring was a drunk raccoon on crank. Instead of one or two lines, this one had three daisy-chained together. The new unit had more wiring to attach than the old one, so I wired it up, turned on the power to check if the lines were good, and then did what I thought was the final installation.

Well, when I was coming back to the house, I heard a click and the dining lights came on. It was when I started to program the unit I realized my error in wiring. You see, the way I wired it not only the dining lights were attached to the sensor, the kitchen overhead light was attached as well. I kept muttering no while pushing the on/off switch. But there was no denying it.

I spent the next half hour getting initially shocked for science to determine the power wiring and then by process of elimination, figuring out which wires to hook together to make sure everything was wired together as before. Once I finally completed it, I had an extremely good laugh at my expense. It was just so damned silly to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, jason10mm, Nodens

More
05 Jan 2024 15:41 - 07 Jan 2024 00:24 #341477 by Cranberries

I spent the next half hour getting initially shocked for science to determine the power wiring

I wanted to thank you for this sentence.

We have a wall oven that is probably from 1969 when the house was built. The temperature is a little uneven at times an only have the broiler works. Also, it is something like 21-inches wide, some weird size. For reasons I don't understand with my English professor brain, wall-insert ovens can't cost less than $1,500. So my wife saw a used oven that looks like it will fit at Habitat for Humanity that we purchased for $35. It might be only ten years old. I am going to try to install it soon.

My wife refuses to allow us to fix or upgrade anything in the kitchen until we replace the entire thing for $15k, which probably won't happen for five years, as we are going to put money into the basement so we can rent it out in the future and supplement our retirement income.

My 24-year-old son is living there now, and going to school, and got in an argument with my wife this morning. They both have very incompatible communication styles. He is adhd/high functioning autistic, and blames her for all of his trauma, and she is very depressed right now and is not really capable of understanding her own tone or the anxieties of others. It's like a porcupine trying to interact with a balloon. She wants to kick him out if he doesn't go to therapy.

Narrator: she also needs therapy.

Edit (January 6, 2024) I t took four trips to the hardware store and about five lazy hours but I got the used oven installed today. There is a quarter inch gap between the trim and the enclosure, but it works. It's hard to find an affordable 21" wall oven.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2024 00:24 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds