October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2651 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

WTF I’m in Paris

More
30 Mar 2018 14:12 #266715 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic WTF I’m in Paris

Shellhead wrote:

Southernman wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Shellhead wrote: Paris, Texas?

He’s in Paris, Kentucky for a UK game

WTF is a UK game (or is this another in-joke) ?

University of Kentucky is also known as UK.

A-ha ... a geographical in-non-joke.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2018 14:16 #266716 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic WTF I’m in Paris

Southernman wrote: Is there going to be a separate thread for "traveling in France" stories and photos ;-) ?

If you live in the UK (as opposed to the University of Kentucky) traveling to France is like driving down to Florida for the weekend from New Jersey. But if you live in a country that, in terms of isolation, is more of an island than the UK, getting to Paris is a Big Deal, plus we have been brainwashed by the film industry . Generally, it's a vacation usually enjoyed by the upper classes and select game reviewers .

Anyway, a separate thread would be crazy, like having a separate thread for political discussion . Fun fact: I actually feel uncomfortable telling people I spent a month in Europe. I usually apologize somewhat and explain the circumstances before boring them to death.

More
30 Mar 2018 14:30 #266720 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic WTF I’m in Paris
Gotta keep this thread relevant to F:AT

The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Colorcrayons, stoic

More
30 Mar 2018 14:42 #266722 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic WTF I’m in Paris
Check out the 5th Arrondissement if you get a chance. It's one of the oldest areas in Paris and has some great street markets & shops. I'd actually recommend it over walking around places like the Champs Elysees, which is basically a giant outdoor mall now.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rue_Mouffetard
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
30 Mar 2018 15:11 #266725 by southernman

cranberries wrote:

Southernman wrote: Is there going to be a separate thread for "traveling in France" stories and photos ;-) ?

If you live in the UK (as opposed to the University of Kentucky) traveling to France is like driving down to Florida for the weekend from New Jersey. But if you live in a country that, in terms of isolation, is more of an island than the UK, getting to Paris is a Big Deal, plus we have been brainwashed by the film industry . Generally, it's a vacation usually enjoyed by the upper classes and select game reviewers .

Anyway, a separate thread would be crazy, like having a separate thread for political discussion . Fun fact: I actually feel uncomfortable telling people I spent a month in Europe. I usually apologize somewhat and explain the circumstances before boring them to death.

I come from a small country in the South Pacific and within six months f arriving in the UK I was in a camper van with other compatriots doing a three month circumnavigation of alcohol (and tourist) spots in Europe ... I think that's a bit more of a culture change than leaving the US :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
30 Mar 2018 20:54 - 31 Mar 2018 00:02 #266743 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic WTF I’m in Paris

Southernman wrote:

cranberries wrote:

I come from a small country in the South Pacific and within six months f arriving in the UK I was in a camper van with other compatriots doing a three month circumnavigation of alcohol (and tourist) spots in Europe ... I think that's a bit more of a culture change than leaving the US :-)

Hey, cool, I lived in Majuro for two years.

In Paris the cashiers sit rather than stand. They run your goods over a scanner, and then ask you for exact change. The story they give is that there aren't enough euros to go around. "The entire EU is short on coins."

And I say, "Really?" because there are plenty of them in Germany. I'm never asked for exact change in Spain or Holland or Italy, so I think the real problem lies with the Parisian cashiers, who are, in a word, lazy. Here in Tokyo they're not just hard working but almost violently cheerful. Down at the Peacock, the change flows like tap water. The women behind the registers bow to you, and I don't mean that they lower their heads a little, the way you might if passing someone on the street. These cashiers press their hands together and bend from the waist. Then they say what sounds to me like "We, the people of this store, worship you as we might a god.

David Sedaris, When You Are Engulfed in Flames
Last edit: 31 Mar 2018 00:02 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
31 Mar 2018 05:35 - 31 Mar 2018 05:35 #266746 by __
Replied by __ on topic WTF I’m in Paris

was surprised Barney didnt post this but then I realised that Paris Hilton hasnt been a minor for almost 20 years
Last edit: 31 Mar 2018 05:35 by __.

More
31 Mar 2018 09:43 #266748 by southernman

Tron wrote: was surprised Barney didnt post this but then I realised that Paris Hilton hasnt been a minor for almost 20 years

But you're still a cunt though, and I'm betting that probably won't change as the decades go by.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
31 Mar 2018 09:47 #266749 by southernman

cranberries wrote:

Southernman wrote:

cranberries wrote:

Hey, cool, I lived in Majuro for two years.

Not that small ;-) ... although when I arrived to live in London it's population was double my country's.

cranberries wrote: In Paris the cashiers sit rather than stand. They run your goods over a scanner, and then ask you for exact change. The story they give is that there aren't enough euros to go around. "The entire EU is short on coins."

And I say, "Really?" because there are plenty of them in Germany. I'm never asked for exact change in Spain or Holland or Italy, so I think the real problem lies with the Parisian cashiers, who are, in a word, lazy. Here in Tokyo they're not just hard working but almost violently cheerful. Down at the Peacock, the change flows like tap water. The women behind the registers bow to you, and I don't mean that they lower their heads a little, the way you might if passing someone on the street. These cashiers press their hands together and bend from the waist. Then they say what sounds to me like "We, the people of this store, worship you as we might a god.

David Sedaris, When You Are Engulfed in Flames

That's probably more of a case of Parisians disliking the English and Americans :-)

More
31 Mar 2018 15:54 #266756 by bronb
Replied by bronb on topic WTF I’m in Paris

Southernman wrote:

Tron wrote: was surprised Barney didnt post this but then I realised that Paris Hilton hasnt been a minor for almost 20 years

But you're still a cunt though, and I'm betting that probably won't change as the decades go by.

Assuming he lives that long.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Black Barney

More
31 Mar 2018 18:31 #266761 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic WTF I’m in Paris
Some observations after day 2:

- finding bloody tissues and used condoms in a bathroom is a terrible first impression of a city.

- Everything is astronomically expensive. It blows NYC and LA out of the water in this regard. I wanted to get my daughter a Monchichi (!!!) but it was like $50.

- The Louvre is REALLY FUCKING BIG. The Mona Lisa is actually much more impressive in person. They have far too many Greco-Roman sculptures.

- Parisians do Easter right. It is all about super fancy chocolate bunnies and chickens. They are everywhere.

- You just can’t stop at EVERY pastry shop. I’ve tried it. Even with me and my two kids eating one item from each, we get through 3 and tap out. My wife doesn’t eat sweets and actually announced today “I don’t want anything that has to do with bread today”.

- French pizza is a joke.

- Americans really are boorish and terrible. And they are EVERYWHERE here.

- The Eiffel Tower is much bigger than I expected.

- Vegetarianism almost doesn’t exist. Meat, meat, meat. But I did find a vegan hamburger joint- Hankburger. It was incredible. They even have vegan cheese fries. They also have a vegan pizza shop called...Hankpizza.

Tomorrow is mainly Sacre Couer and Versailles. Monday is Notre Dame, Saint Chappelle, Concierge. Tuesday we fly to Marseille for two nights and then come back to Paris.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman, Dr. Mabuse

More
31 Mar 2018 20:11 #266764 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic WTF I’m in Paris

Michael Barnes wrote: - Americans really are boorish and terrible.

And always will be when the entitled use other countries as their toilet.

The only way I can avoid being lumped with them is making a concerted effort prior or during my trip to get some language in. And not half assed attempts either. People respect Americans a lot more when they try to speak their language instead of assuming and insisting that everyone speak English.

Hell, you don't even have to leave America to notice that effect.

I spent a year in Vietnam and even though quite a lot of people spoke english, my time there became immediately more enjoyable while awkwardly learning tieng viet.

There is no way to hide the fact that you're American from the locals. The best you can do is not to act like what they think they are.
Not that you have an issue with that. Just venting since I have to overcome that hurdle each time I travel because a lot of Americans think because they are from the United States, that they are entitled to have the same treatment they take for granted here.

More
31 Mar 2018 22:50 #266765 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic WTF I’m in Paris
Wow, had to wait until the bottom of page 2 before we got to the America bashing. This site is loosing its edge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Cranberries

More
01 Apr 2018 03:18 #266768 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic WTF I’m in Paris
We were going to Europe (Italy, France, UK) but mama decided to go to Colorado to skip slopes but hit the trees harder than Sonny Bono
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
01 Apr 2018 09:07 - 01 Apr 2018 09:08 #266787 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic WTF I’m in Paris
OMG I am at an exhibit of props and stuff from the Jeunet/Caro films. KRANK IS HERE!
Last edit: 01 Apr 2018 09:08 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds