October 09, 2023
2449 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2649 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

First Triathlon

More
12 Jun 2018 16:28 #275239 by the_jake_1973
I participated in my first triathlon, Grand Rapids Triathlon, this past weekend. It was quite a task for a fat 44-year old. Thankfully, I have lost 20 pounds since the top of the year when I decided to join the event. I finished in 2 hours 10 minutes, which was nearly in line with what I was expecting. The run the was worst as I couldn't get into my rhythm. Swimming in a pack in the open water was a nearly panic inducing event. You have to simultaneously shut out the crown around you, but also pay attention to the flailing limbs that threaten to brain you if you aren't careful. Not to mention the rogue waves that are kicked up by other swimmers just as you are turning your head to take a breath.

I will be purchasing proper 'tri-shorts' that work well in and out of the water. I was just wearing my regular swim trunks and the netting chafed sensitive bits something fierce during the bike section.

There will be another in my future for sure. Perhaps the water will be warmer than 69.5 degrees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Msample, Black Barney, Sevej, birdman37

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2018 16:31 #275240 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic First Triathlon
looking forward to seeing the pictures of the shorts!

I did a triathlon once in GTAV and was completely wiped at the end of it. My entire right hand was cramped, it took forever. I can't even imagine a real one.

Best of luck Jake and looking forward to hearing about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

More
12 Jun 2018 17:00 #275246 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic First Triathlon
As someone who just started running this is great to hear. I'm going to try for a marathon next year.

More
12 Jun 2018 18:03 - 12 Jun 2018 18:04 #275250 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic First Triathlon

Black Barney wrote: My entire right hand was cramped, it took forever.

Honestly, I'm surprised you aren't in better shape.

On topic, that's awesome. Congratulations!
Last edit: 12 Jun 2018 18:04 by Not Sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Black Barney, the_jake_1973

More
13 Jun 2018 08:33 #275276 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic First Triathlon

ChristopherMD wrote: As someone who just started running this is great to hear. I'm going to try for a marathon next year.

I'm not sure if I could make it to that distance running. I'm doing 4 on Saturdays and my pace is hovering in the 11:00 to 11:30 range. I've lost 20 pounds since the top of the year, so that is helping. I need to normalize the 10K distance then it is on to the half marathon.

Keep it up, Chris!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
13 Jun 2018 16:52 #275319 by tk342
Replied by tk342 on topic First Triathlon
Congrats and welcome to the sport! hope you had a great time, even with any problems that came up. After a tri I always feel kinda like, "yeah, that was a thing". and then a day or two later I'm jazzed to do another one.

I had my own comedy of errors in the Madison Half Iron this past weekend:

-woke up at 2 AM to thunderstorms and heavy rain, with forecast set to last all day
-at 5 AM, poked my thumb through the groin of my trisuit while putting it on. Ended up wearing another pair of shorts over top to avoid potentially having my dick fall out mid run.
-no one had body marking, since it was raining too hard for the sharpies to mark.
-transition was a mudpit
-swim was delayed 30 minutes for lightning
-got to wait another hour shivering (even in wetsuit!) for the faster swimmers to wave start.
-sucked a lot of water due to the storm chop
-got nasty lake in my sinuses and paid for it for the next 2 days
-paid the price in speed and soreness for this being the 3rd swim I've done in the past 9 months.
-sunglasses literally fogged up every minute on the bike
-got to run a half marathon with mud in my socks. got some nice blisters from that one.
-had to take a massive dump 1 mile into the run that took 4 minutes off my time.

That all being said, it did not, in fact, rain all day, and I had a pretty good result. And now, a few days later, I'm looking forward to the next one.

+1 for tri-shorts. Actual cycling shorts are like running in a wet diaper, and no padding at all is murder on your butt.

More
13 Jun 2018 21:19 #275336 by the_jake_1973
I am looking forward to the next one, surprisingly. This morning was the first day back in the pool and I was looking to modify my stroke since I was not twisting my torso enough by what I saw watching other swimmers this weekend. That was tiring, but I could feel the speed increase.

More
14 Jun 2018 06:45 #275358 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic First Triathlon
Congraturation! That's really something!

More
09 Jul 2018 08:13 #277148 by the_jake_1973
I ran my 2nd and 3rd triathlons this last week (Wednesday and Sunday). This sport has its hooks in me. I did finally get my time under 2 hours, so that was encouraging. The event on Sunday was on the big water of Lake Michigan with a temp of 63 degrees. Big lake swimming is no joke.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Black Barney

More
09 Jul 2018 10:41 #277161 by Jarvis
Replied by Jarvis on topic First Triathlon
I just signed up for my first tri event. It’s a modified tri sprint with a seven mike kayak/canoe portion instead of the swim. I don’t mind the swim, but the only ones around here involve swimming in the river downtown and that’s just too dirty for what I want to do.

I’m looking forward to it (it’s in October), but I have a bunch of training to do first.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
09 Jul 2018 14:57 #277190 by the_jake_1973
That would be cool to have a kayak section of the event. Good luck with the training. Get those squats and lunges going!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jarvis

More
09 Jul 2018 15:48 #277196 by Jarvis
Replied by Jarvis on topic First Triathlon
Thanks. I’ll take any advice I can get on it too.

I can do all the sections right now individually, so practicing combinations is my next step.

Also, i need to research what the best type of clothes for this will be.

More
09 Jul 2018 15:53 #277197 by barrowdown
Replied by barrowdown on topic First Triathlon

Jarvis wrote: Thanks. I’ll take any advice I can get on it too.

I can do all the sections right now individually, so practicing combinations is my next step.

Also, i need to research what the best type of clothes for this will be.

JNCOs, cold weather wool socks, a thick 100% cotton hoodie, denim vest for extra speed, burlap underwear, and a gas mask.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jarvis, the_jake_1973

More
09 Jul 2018 16:11 #277198 by the_jake_1973
I have heard that training in 'bricks' is helpful. Swim/Bike, Bike/Run. I need to focus on the bike/run part because my hip flexors are gassed after the rind and can barely propel my legs during the run.

I've not shelled out for tri shorts or a wetsuit because I am cheap. I picked up a 20 dollar pair of fast dry shorts at Meijer and go commando. No chafing in my last two tris. I do need to buy aero bars for my mountain bike so I can get into profile and work different parts of my legs on the bike section.

Make a list of what you need in your bag in the transition and practice running through the procedure. I didn't my first one and felt a little lost during the process.

More
09 Jul 2018 16:49 - 09 Jul 2018 16:49 #277199 by tk342
Replied by tk342 on topic First Triathlon

the_jake_1973 wrote: Big lake swimming is no joke.

for sure. Last year in Door County we had a small craft advisory and 4 foot swells. They did cut the swim down from 1.2 miles to 400 meters, but I've never been so sure I was going to drown in my life. Especially since I only breath to the side that the waves were crashing from.

And of course, I'm doing it again this coming weekend. Hopefully the weather behaves!
Last edit: 09 Jul 2018 16:49 by tk342.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.325 seconds