October 09, 2023
2511 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2708 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Tough read re: being a woman in the games industry

More
27 Jun 2018 09:11 #276333 by ubarose

WadeMonnig wrote:

Sevej wrote: Man, that youtube video is sickening. It's everything wrong about the situation.

The comments section is even more disturbing.

Most of it is sanitized incel, mra, and 4chan rhetoric repeated literally 1000 times. Note, however, there is a section discussing BGG. These people are on BGG. They are on every large geekcentric website. They are at cons.

They gather in pockets in different areas of the internet where they can speak freely. And they can mobilize quickly to tear down small blogs, or disrupt forums, and generally create a whole parade of ugly if they wish. We fly under the radar, but we need to be aware that as we become more visible, we may have to deal with them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, Frohike, ecargo, ufe20, GorillaGrody, WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2018 09:13 #276334 by Black Barney
Then we should maybe be discussing a strategy on how we will address that? I’m not sure our usual “let’s call them out” will work cuz those guys really seem to own it
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecargo

More
27 Jun 2018 09:14 #276335 by Shellhead
Maybe we could start reaching out to women at BGG. Contact them via PM and just let them know that we would welcome their participation here at TWBG.

More
27 Jun 2018 10:02 #276336 by SuperflyPete
WOMEN: WHAT ARE YOU PLAYING thread. Hijack it. Post that TWBG is a viable "safe space".

More
27 Jun 2018 10:11 #276337 by ubarose
Let's not do that. It's way creepy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Ghost, Gary Sax, Legomancer, Black Barney, Not Sure, Erik Twice, ecargo

More
27 Jun 2018 10:18 #276338 by rafcordero

ubarose wrote: Let's not do that. It's way creepy.

Not to mention - and you know I love you Pete - that often crude language/jokes/etc are going to act as a deterrent. When someone doesn't know a person, you aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt. I love the statement Michael posted and it's great that it went front and center but I've seen a few posts also on the top of the forums that would cause a lot of women (and others) I know to bounce right off the atmosphere here without ever landing to check it out.

The strategy for if/when these assholes show up is zero-tolerance and aggressive moderation. No both-sides-ism, no appeals to moderation, no concern for civility over morality. I saw someone on twitter today compare The Dice Tower's women-led video on harassment to the video above and imply that the noble intelligent position is in the middle between them. To hell with that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Sagrilarus, Erik Twice, ecargo, ufe20

More
27 Jun 2018 10:44 #276343 by SuperflyPete
Dude, I hardly post here anymore about anything. This statement basically makes me want to do so even less.

I’ll see myself out. Personally, I’d rather have a fouler mouthed guy who will knock a fucker’s teeth out for harassing me than someone who is soft spoken and will watch it unfold then go write a blog about it, but I’m not a woman, so I guess I can’t say what’s better.

The fucked up part in all of this “tough being a woman in boardgames” misses is that it’s tough being a woman in America, period, and fandoms of virtually all stripes simply takes the worst offenders with the least social skills and lumps them in a nasty little cesspool. That’s what my wife was alluding to...a lot of men suck in a lot of venues, and boardgames is no different. I don’t expect shit to change in games because no matter how much gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands is done because people drawn to the hobby are mostly passive aggressive types who will go write a blog or go get on twitter and bitch and use solidarity hashtags but not do fuck all when they witness it firsthand.

It’s like Facebook activists changing their profile pic to a flag for a week. Sure, you feel like a righteous person but what did you really do but virtue signal to your already like/minded circle of friends?

#peaceout

More
27 Jun 2018 10:50 #276345 by Black Barney
oh no, pete left again!

More
27 Jun 2018 11:03 #276346 by rafcordero

SuperflyTNT wrote: Dude, I hardly post here anymore about anything. This statement basically makes me want to do so even less.

I hope you do post more! The industry needs more people like you willing to unequivocally plant your flag on one side of the line. Please don't get me wrong, especially as a relative new-comer here. I'm in some very small, more private communities where people feel a little more comfortable putting their guard down so I'm basing my statement off of what I've heard them say. You're 100% right; it's hard in gaming and America for women which is why it doesn't take much for some of them to pull back. It's about how willing they are to expose themselves to potential risk.

I get that. I'm a recently naturalized Hispanic immigrant. Maybe the guy at work with Info Wars/MAGA stickers on his pick up is a cool dude but I'm not gonna open myself up to that right now.

More
27 Jun 2018 11:12 #276351 by hotseatgames

rafcordero wrote: Maybe the guy at work with Info Wars/MAGA stickers on his pick up is a cool dude

He's not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Black Barney, Frohike, ecargo, ufe20, GorillaGrody

More
27 Jun 2018 11:38 #276358 by SuperflyPete

rafcordero wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: Dude, I hardly post here anymore about anything. This statement basically makes me want to do so even less.

I hope you do post more! The industry needs more people like you willing to unequivocally plant your flag on one side of the line. Please don't get me wrong, especially as a relative new-comer here. I'm in some very small, more private communities where people feel a little more comfortable putting their guard down so I'm basing my statement off of what I've heard them say. You're 100% right; it's hard in gaming and America for women which is why it doesn't take much for some of them to pull back. It's about how willing they are to expose themselves to potential risk.

I get that. I'm a recently naturalized Hispanic immigrant. Maybe the guy at work with Info Wars/MAGA stickers on his pick up is a cool dude but I'm not gonna open myself up to that right now.

Bro, you literally just said that women would not want to come here because I'm as equal a threat with jokes and foul language than a guy who is going to skeev on them. Seriously.

More
27 Jun 2018 11:50 - 27 Jun 2018 11:56 #276360 by rafcordero

SuperflyTNT wrote:
Bro, you literally just said that women would not want to come here because I'm as equal a threat with jokes and foul language than a guy who is going to skeev on them. Seriously.

If that is what I implied, then I truly apologize. It's not what I meant, and I shouldn't have called you out like that. I edited half my post before making it and should have re-read it. It's not you specifically; I myself advocated with being ok with 'motherfucker' in the statement and that too may not send the right message even in context.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2018 11:56 by rafcordero.

More
27 Jun 2018 12:23 - 27 Jun 2018 12:28 #276368 by SuperflyPete
Any person who goes to every movie will hear FUCK nowadays. You hear it in the streets.

In Mexico, chingar- and all its permutations are all over. Same in Canada, home of the most polite people on Earth.

If women are scared of seeing “fuck” (pro tip: they’re not) then I don’t know what safe space exists anymore.

I was about to launch into a tirade of the hypocrisy of some of the people here all of the sudden becoming huge advocates for women not being treated as sexual objects but y’all know who you are and Jesus knows you’re hypocrites or recent converts. I’m not getting into it but one thing can be sure: I’m the same salty fuck in person.

One other thing: If you want to talk the talk, walk the walk. If you’re at a gaming event ( or bar, or at your friend’s house) and hear someone being a racist or misogynist and do absolutely nothing then make allusions to that person on Facebook or whatever, you’re a sack of shit. Confront people. Don’t allow it. I know games attract the passive aggressive types who whisper “Dick” under their breath but if you want change, stop being such a pussy. Stand up. Stop people then, and there.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2018 12:28 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
27 Jun 2018 12:40 - 27 Jun 2018 12:42 #276373 by Sevej
Uh, for a guy with fucks and tell people pussy, you're sure very sensitive, Pete. Guy tells you to chill down with the fucks. Don't like it, fine. Nowhere he says your filthy mouth equals sexual harassment. People can be disturbed by either, to different degrees. No need for the diatribe.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2018 12:42 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
27 Jun 2018 12:47 #276374 by SuperflyPete
The implication is that women he has private discussions on the subject about would be turned off by a site that unequivocally denounces harassment and objectification becuase of one or two members who curse.

Not a mention of a certain member and his continually libido-driven posts, which I would think are 1000x more disincentive than someone saying fuck.

So, with all due respect, I’m not sensitive, I’m dumbfounded. Which is fine. Y’all do you, I’ll do me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.396 seconds