October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

RIP Harlan Ellison 1934-2018

More
28 Jun 2018 16:07 #276506 by fightcitymayor
Cantankerous, brilliant, caustic, learned, petty, proud, full of drama, and not a man to suffer fools.
Read his stuff. Because he was a LOT more than just "that guy who did that Star Trek episode."

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Shellhead, allismom3, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2018 16:34 #276508 by Frohike
I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream still haunts me. I feel like I should play some KDM in his honor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
28 Jun 2018 16:49 - 28 Jun 2018 16:53 #276510 by SuperflyPete
Sources say his death was justified as he no longer had a mouth, but was compelled to scream.

He was a hell of a writer.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2018 16:53 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
28 Jun 2018 17:12 #276511 by Michael Barnes
I used to love his Andy Rooney-like segment on the old Sci Fi channel news show.

Definitely a challenging, sometimes confrontational but always compelling writer. One of my favorite works is Watching, his collection of film reviews and criticism. I’d call it very influential as to how I try to review things.

More
28 Jun 2018 17:24 #276516 by Shellhead
I was a huge fan of Ellison when I was younger, and still have great respect for his work. My favorite fiction collection of his was Strange Wine. I also liked his gang stories from early in his career, and I have a nice hardcover edition of Watching in my nicest bookcase.

More
28 Jun 2018 17:48 #276524 by Jackwraith
Crushing, although it's been expected for some time now. He was easily one of the more inspirational writers I've ever read and met.

More
28 Jun 2018 19:53 #276531 by Josh Look
He was one of my favorites, easily in my top 3. He made it challenge to do so, but i really admired the guy.

More
28 Jun 2018 20:55 #276535 by Black Barney
Which Trek episode did he do?

More
28 Jun 2018 22:22 #276542 by Josh Look

Black Barney wrote: Which Trek episode did he do?

City On the Edge of Forever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
29 Jun 2018 00:03 #276544 by Disgustipater
A couple of years ago I worked in the warehouse of a stationary/calendar/jigsaw puzzle publisher as a packer. One day I got an order for an Edward Gorey calendar to be sent to one Harlan Ellison. I went to the shipping guy and said, "I doubt there are many other Harlan Ellisons in Los Angeles, buying a Gorey calendar no less."

He said, "Let's take a look." We put the address into Google Maps and this is what came up:

Google Street View

"Yup, definitely him."

(Note: I didn't remember his address, but it is easily found online, which is where I found this. I did not just out his address.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Cranberries, Frohike

More
29 Jun 2018 00:07 #276545 by engineer Al

Josh Look wrote:

Black Barney wrote: Which Trek episode did he do?

City On the Edge of Forever.

I watched this somewhat recently. I remember walking away thinking "This is the greatest piece of Science Fiction ever made."

RIP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike

More
29 Jun 2018 04:58 #276547 by Matt Thrower

Michael Barnes wrote: I used to love his Andy Rooney-like segment on the old Sci Fi channel news show.

Definitely a challenging, sometimes confrontational but always compelling writer. One of my favorite works is Watching, his collection of film reviews and criticism. I’d call it very influential as to how I try to review things.

I don't feel great dunking on someone who's dead, but however great a writer he was, he also sounds like a top-drawer asshole. There's a video of him sexually assaulting a woman on stage doing the rounds on Twitter.

Apparently, other allegations dogged him throughout his life. You can separate a man's work from the man and celebrate that, but the man himself sounds pretty grim.

More
29 Jun 2018 08:47 #276551 by Count Orlok

Where are the 70 billion future Earthlings?

More
29 Jun 2018 09:16 #276554 by fightcitymayor

MattDP wrote: I don't feel great dunking on someone who's dead, but however great a writer he was, he also sounds like a top-drawer asshole. There's a video of him sexually assaulting a woman on stage doing the rounds on Twitter.

Apparently, other allegations dogged him throughout his life. You can separate a man's work from the man and celebrate that, but the man himself sounds pretty grim.

It would be... unfortunate... to distill the man's life & times of 84 years and 1500+ short stories down to a "LOOK! LOOK! LOOK AT THIS FIFTY-SEVEN SECOND YOUTUBE CLIP! HE WAS A TOTAL ASSHOLE!"

I understand in our 'woke' modern world that a shticky routine at an unbearable Hugo Award presentation (that he himself later even apologized for) is enough to brand one of the best of his generation with a scarlet letter as some roving menace to polite society. However, I feel confident in saying that if the video camera was invented 100 years earlier, then everyone from Melville to Twain would be on the receiving end of one of these "I have no idea who the guy is, but he did a naughty thing once, so we should clearly strike his existence from the ledger of humanity and pay him no mind," style 'takedowns' coming from small people with small minds on Twitter who exist strictly to pass judgment on people they only heard about 5 minutes ago.

As for the shadowy "other allegations" that also apparently warrant being brought up when a great man dies, other than possessing a generally take-no-prisoners attitude when it comes to people fucking with him & especially his work, I'm not sure what nefarious deeds are enough to tip the scales towards "fuck this guy in particular."

And if we need a perhaps more representative clip of the man, I would put up for your consideration:

(Full disclosure, I am an Ellison fanboy who is likely in no way impartial on this topic.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Black Barney, Frohike

More
29 Jun 2018 09:51 - 29 Jun 2018 09:56 #276557 by Josh Look
PI’m not going to defend him, because you can’t nor should you. I’ve know about that video for years now, and I’ve struggled with the knowledge of it and my admiration of him since. I cut people loose from my own life for less than this, like finding out someone is a Trump supporter or even a Trump apologist, but I think the damage was already done and was so profound and so lasting when it comes to Harlan Ellison. I was introduced to his work when I was in high school, and it troubled me then, but returning to it and reading more of it later in life was rewarding. Still challenging, but rewarding. I read Dangerous Visions, which is still to this day perhaps the best collection of speculative fiction one can find, and I watched a ton of interviews with him. His opinions on pop culture and religion rang true with me and while some can dismiss it as him being a total asshole, I relate to his looking for a higher standard in people. And, of course, I found that video, and I’ve never known how to feel since. I should condemn him. I can’t bring myself to do it.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2018 09:56 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, allismom3, Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds