October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2712 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Camping Gear

More
25 Jul 2018 14:26 #278366 by the_jake_1973
Camping Gear was created by the_jake_1973
I'm going on my first proper hike and camp since doing it for a living in the Army in a couple of weeks. I needed gear so I did some online shopping from this Finnish surplus site, Varusteleka.

Properly cracking surplus goods. Resoled combat boots that are nice and broken in. This goes against my never buying used shoes, but for 40 bucks, so be it. A vintage Polish two person tent that breaks down into two pieces and doubles as wet weather gear. A Hungarian Army mess kit circa 1985. If you need gear, the site is worth a look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ChristopherMD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2018 15:40 #278369 by Da Bid Dabid
Replied by Da Bid Dabid on topic Camping Gear
If you need anything else my brother owns this store in GR (formerly in Marquette). I'm sure I can get you the hook up for missing stuff.

goswitchback.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Cranberries, SuperflyPete, the_jake_1973

More
25 Jul 2018 17:18 #278376 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Camping Gear
The Spawn went camping with friends this weekend. I gave her a gallon ziplock bag, a roll of toiler paper and a box of wooden matches. She was like, WTH. I told her to trust me and take them with her. She thanked me when she got back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xerxes, Gary Sax, Cranberries, Msample, lj1983, the_jake_1973

More
25 Jul 2018 19:22 #278382 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Camping Gear

the_jake_1973 wrote: I'm going on my first proper hike and camp since doing it for a living in the Army in a couple of weeks. I needed gear so I did some online shopping from this Finnish surplus site, Varusteleka.

Properly cracking surplus goods. Resoled combat boots that are nice and broken in. This goes against my never buying used shoes, but for 40 bucks, so be it. A vintage Polish two person tent that breaks down into two pieces and doubles as wet weather gear. A Hungarian Army mess kit circa 1985. If you need gear, the site is worth a look.

As someone who hikes quite a bit, I would never buy surplus boots. Going cheap on hiking boots is the last place that I'd try to save money. Buy a good pair of fitted Keen or Merrell over-the-ankle, waterproof, breathable boots. Lately, I've been partial to Keen hiking sandals.

The military surplus gear isn't the the best though--it's just what the lowest bidder produced.

If you want to really go cheap, cheap, then checkout this site for ideas: bushcraftusa.com/forum/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
25 Jul 2018 20:55 - 25 Jul 2018 20:56 #278386 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Camping Gear
Agree with Stoic on all counts!

Campmor.com has good cheap real outdoor gear too. Now that I'm wealthier (and there's one in town) I use REI, but when I was a grad student we 100% used campmor and discount outlets. I wouldn't go military surplus though, tbh.

You mind if this is the perpetual hiking/camping thread, jake? I'm going to the Tetons with my wife and two friends in two weeks for a 4 night backpack and I'm pretty excited. Been hiking around on long and short day hikes with a weighted pack. Tough. I'm at 35 pounds right now. Hope my pack doesn't go more than that for the trip, I can probably handle this amount.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2018 20:56 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, the_jake_1973, Gregarius

More
26 Jul 2018 08:27 #278406 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Camping Gear
Having done my fair share of humping a ruck with standard infantry boots, I'm not terribly concerned with about the ones I bought. Boots
Thankfully, I am not prone to foot/ankle related problems, so these boot with inserts will do fine. They breathe as well as expected. I will likely just wear a pair of knee high hose under my socks to ward off blister potential. If we were going somewhere with an abundance of slick rocks or a moisture rich environment, I'd have to go with something that had a different sole.

I went vintage with my tent: Tent
When my wife and I start hiking and doing kayak trips, she may want something different.

This little overnight trip will be a light shakedown for my ruck setup (Molle, large) so that I can prep for hikes with my wife later in the fall. There is a goal in the distance of doing some decent trips in the UP and out west. Much of that will be dependent on how much time she can take away from her salon.

David, thanks for the link. I am also shopping around for a road bike so I can have a better triathlon season next year.

Stoic, that link will be useful indeed. I'm pretty light on the bushcraft skills.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
26 Jul 2018 09:35 #278415 by Gary Sax
Have a good time with whatever gear you choose! There's a million right ways to be outdoors! The one thing you will get from more specialized gear is that it tends to be lighter, which can help everyone's time on a backpack. For car camping or short hike camping, though, my attitude is that most gear works fine.

On a side note, one thing I do consistently feel bad for people about when I see it is people who buy these *huge* tents for small numbers of people in the mountains thinking it'll be more comfortable. Big tents get SO cold!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

More
26 Jul 2018 19:44 #278472 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Camping Gear

Gary Sax wrote: Agree with Stoic on all counts!

Campmor.com has good cheap real outdoor gear too. Now that I'm wealthier (and there's one in town) I use REI, but when I was a grad student we 100% used campmor and discount outlets. I wouldn't go military surplus though, tbh.

You mind if this is the perpetual hiking/camping thread, jake? I'm going to the Tetons with my wife and two friends in two weeks for a 4 night backpack and I'm pretty excited. Been hiking around on long and short day hikes with a weighted pack. Tough. I'm at 35 pounds right now. Hope my pack doesn't go more than that for the trip, I can probably handle this amount.

Watch out for the effects of altitude in the Tetons.

More
26 Jul 2018 20:01 #278473 by Gary Sax
I live in Flagstaff (7k). ;)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds