October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Posts reverted to Aug 1

More
29 Aug 2018 13:17 #280636 by SuperflyPete
Guessing the database died again?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2018 13:25 #280637 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Posts reverted to Aug 1
I don't know what you are talking about. Can you please provide more information.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Black Barney

More
29 Aug 2018 13:41 #280639 by Black Barney
oh man, i hope we're reverting to August 1st. I took my vacation in mid-August and would love to do it again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
29 Aug 2018 13:49 #280641 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Posts reverted to Aug 1
We took a vacation to Portland, and it wasn't that great. I'm not sure I want to relive it. Here are my notes:

We are back from our trip to Portland and the coast. Some thoughts:

1. If something quirky and cool came along after I left in 1996, it is inauthentic and doesn't count. I'm looking at you, Voodoo donuts (2003)

2. The transformation of the Pearl District into a fancy place for fancy people was probably inevitable, and really is more fun than warehouses.

3. Powell's is still pretty great, just because the selection is amazing and all the good stuff is right on the surface, so great curation

4. Quirky and charming can be commodified, but only to a degree. My son told me about a place called "Portland Burger" with fake, safe graffiti in the bathroom and a stage that is never used. A fun thought exercise is to ask yourself which cities are worth visiting if you couldn't purchase anything.

5. We heard Pearl Jam being played at Starbucks (we needed water) and Little Burger, a local chain. It felt ironic, but was probably one of the local, terrible radio stations. Grunge LARPing.

5b. The rose gardens are much more interesting now that I spend more time doing yard work and gardening. I am getting old.

6. There are almost no SUVs or large vehicles on the roads

6b. I left my fancy camera home and used my phone, because the last time we came I left my camera and lenses in a campground bathroom and lost it all. I blame it on sleep deprivation.

7. The numbers of homeless around Old Town and under the freeways was distressing. Perhaps they are more visible because of the tents. My brother-in-law said that there have been people spraying them with artificial hornet attractant, but that sounds like an urban myth. I know that SLC has its own problem, but I live in the Orem bubble.

8. My father-in-law, a widower for 18 years, is marrying his maid-of-honor and moving to Staatsburg, NY. He gave away almost everything. It is sort of like he died, but supervised the distribution of his stuff.

9. People don't acquire physical things that have meaning that they give away, really. My father-in-law's father traveled around the world as a merchant marine, and had some cool, exotic stuff. My son inherited a monogrammed hunting knife that was probably from the Korean war. We have a couple of pre-1914 Indian brass incense burners.

10. Any physical item I acquire at this point will have little to no meaning for my children who have moved out.

11. When I visit my in-laws, I discover that all of my authority is regional, and is immediately stripped away at the Oregon border, and my wife and father-in-law (I have to bankroll you people) make all the decisions. My input is regularly requested and immediately ignored. Essentially, I become the oldest child, which is ok. I also become a big baby.

12. When it rained at Saturday market, all of the tourists ran under the overpass, and all of the locals calmly pulled out their waterproof shells.

13. I saw a surprising number of men in their late 50s, wearing backpacks, and walking around in or through the Burlingame area or on Terwilliger, which is fairly fancy. I think they were just single, employed men, who walk everywhere. Many, many older men were Bradley William Bleck -ing around on carbon fiber codpieces. I did not see as many young people wearing gas station attendant jackets on single speed rebuilt bikes.

14. I saw a number of bearded men in dresses, in transition.

15. My son says that SLC is the next Portland. I'm not sure about that. You have to have a period of depressed income and strong alternative cultural influence, plus really great zoning, to create a Portland.

16. A tiny house across from my Father-in-law's was selling for $420k. Unrelated: we got in the van to leave. Two people (NEW people) were standing in the street, talking, blocking the road. They didn't move as we approached. My father-in-law has lived here for forty years, back when there wasn't any pavement. So much old man rage in me.

17. Many of the homes on his street were converted to rentals when the original owners cashed in

18. If you cut down suburban trees for a living, there is a lot of work in Portland. So much work. When my FIL cut down two encroaching trees, the interior temperature of his non-air-conditioned home went up by four degrees.

19. It took us 90 minutes to exchange an old iPad and purchase a new one for my FIL at the Apple store. My marriage in the temple in Portland 24 years ago, which is supposed to be for time and all eternity, took less time.

There's a strong argument for selling your own old iPad and buying one online if you have the time, which we did not. Our assistant was completely blind, complete with a guide dog, but that probably only added five minutes to the transaction.

20. My perception of Portland, and reality, is almost entirely shaped by whatever chemicals are sloshing through my head due to lack of sleep, food and whatever chronic stress is doing to me. This makes me a completely unreliable narrator.

21. We saw gray whales breaching and spouting at Depoe bay. They were a delightfully jarring counterpoint to almost everything else on the trip, something we couldn't buy or schedule or even fully understand.

22. Now that my father-in-law and free hotel is moving, that may be our last trip to Portland for a while. So many things coming to a close.

22b. Summer is over.

23. My kids noticed the beginning of a bald spot.

24. Christine rolled up my trousers at the beach

25. You know where this is going.

I grow old ... I grow old ...
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
When the wind blows the water white and black.
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

--T.S. Eliot
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, dysjunct, Hex Sinister, Msample, Black Barney, Frohike, Colorcrayons, mc

More
29 Aug 2018 14:46 #280649 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Posts reverted to Aug 1
Make sure you're on page 1 of the forums. I've noticed that if I go to page 3 or whatever, it starts there the next time I drop by.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
29 Aug 2018 15:13 #280651 by Colorcrayons
As a former Oregonian and eternal lover of PNW, that was a good read, Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
29 Aug 2018 15:46 #280658 by SuperflyPete
Shellie, I logged in a while back and on page 1 (the most current, I checked) showed Ding and Dent #72 as the first Trash Talk, dated Aug 1, with my comment being the last one.

Cranberries: you became old the moment you referred to your PANTS as trousers.

More
29 Aug 2018 15:47 #280661 by SuperflyPete
Oh, one note: the moment I closed it, closed the browser, and came back, it showed “MYSQL ERROR”. I then got a work call from a pleasant man who I could hardly understand, and when I came back 25 minutes or so later, I found that all had been restored to its former glory

More
29 Aug 2018 15:48 #280662 by SuperflyPete
It was probably a big name reviewer trying to cover up his payola
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, lj1983, Frohike

More
29 Aug 2018 15:48 #280663 by ChristopherMD

SuperflyTNT wrote: Cranberries: you became British the moment you referred to your PANTS as trousers.

Fixed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
29 Aug 2018 15:50 #280665 by Colorcrayons

ChristopherMD wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: Cranberries: you became British the moment you referred to your PANTS as trousers.

Fixed.

Isn't that the same thing?

I heard British babies are born with a Calabash pipe, and their first words are: "By Jove, old bean".
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Frohike

More
29 Aug 2018 15:55 #280669 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Posts reverted to Aug 1
It was a good read. As a lifelong Oregonian, I would remind you that Portland is it's own State as far as the rest of us are concerned.

More
29 Aug 2018 17:03 #280679 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Posts reverted to Aug 1

SuperflyTNT wrote: Oh, one note: the moment I closed it, closed the browser, and came back, it showed “MYSQL ERROR”. I then got a work call from a pleasant man who I could hardly understand, and when I came back 25 minutes or so later, I found that all had been restored to its former glory

Hmmmm. Sounds like an SQL error.

That's all I got. If it doesn't happen again, it was just a blip.

More
29 Aug 2018 17:36 #280689 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Posts reverted to Aug 1
The first database I ever created was so awesome, I made a second one.

So it's a SQL database, if you will.

I'll show myself out
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, lj1983, stormseeker75, Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
29 Aug 2018 18:18 #280698 by ChristopherMD
August 1st was simpler times. We still trusted previewers to be in it for the hobby. Patrick hadn't reached 10k posts yet. We weren't all waiting to find out which Ghibli movie Jeff will watch next. Dave hadn't won a thread with his Greater Ass Games suggestion yet. Captain Picard was retired. The Dune license was a pipedream. Arkham Horror wasn't a dungeon-crawler. And I think we only had 23 threads about SEAL Team Flix instead of 57. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Black Barney, lj1983, birdman37

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.417 seconds