October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2693 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Consign or Sell?

More
25 Oct 2018 09:56 - 25 Oct 2018 10:18 #284647 by Sagrilarus
Consign or Sell? was created by Sagrilarus
I have two game stores within 25 miles that deal in used games. I likely have 30+ titles I'm looking to liquidate, and I'm trying to decide which option I should take.

1. Go the the closer store (much closer, like, two miles from where I work) and offer up all the games for purchase. They buy the games at a reduced price, cash me out and then sell them at a mark-up. My concern is that I'll bring in 30 games, they'll only make a reasonable offer (or any offer) on 16 of them, and I'll still have to use option 2 anyway. But, I'll have cash in my pocket that I can use for games, booze, cheap dames, etc. And I can purchase from online retailers (games) for cheaper prices with the instant proceeds.

2. Go to the farther store and put every doggone game onto their consignment rack at a price I set. When they sell at my price I get 100% of that in store credit. They'll order just about anything I want, including from GMT, VPG, etc., so I'll have solid options for the money I earn off the sales. Sure some games won't sell or won't sell soon, but presumably I'd head up that way to pick up new purchases anyway. More money, but all of it must be used for games, purchasing at MSRP. Eventually they'll throw the last few titles back to me that don't sell.

I'm a busy man with four kids, so option 1 looks easiest. But it's not the most lucrative, or at least doesn't appear to be on the surface. But it doesn't require a 50 mile round trip.

There's some good titles in the mix, so this likely is more than a few hundreds of dollars involved.

Anyone care to make a recommendation?
Last edit: 25 Oct 2018 10:18 by Sagrilarus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2018 10:17 #284649 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic Consign or Sell?
The second option seems much better. In order for it to be worth it for the first shop to buy your games, they'll have to reduce the cost too greatly to be worth it.

Either way, you should try local facebook groups or the like. It's work, but there are no real work-less ways to sell these games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
25 Oct 2018 10:21 #284650 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Consign or Sell?

Erik Twice wrote: but there are no real work-less ways to sell these games.

I believe "time value of money" comes into the picture. If I drop everything in the first store's lap I'll get some amount of proceeds, in cash, done. The other two options (item 2 and your rec to hit Facebook) will likely generate more, but how much more, and how much hassle am I going through to generate it? Lining up with 18 buyers is going to suck, and I don't want to ship if I can possibly help it.

More
25 Oct 2018 10:24 #284651 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Consign or Sell?
It's an opportunity cost scenario. Questions to be answered are:

What's the likelihood of you spending all of what you'd get from Option 2 on games? The opportunity cost is a lesser amount of cash that can be spent on anything, but a greater amount that can be spent on games.

Considering your busy schedule, what's the likelihood that you'll both have the opportunity to play all those new games to get value from them AND be willing to put up with regular greater travel times to Option 2? Opportunity cost there is both immediate (initial travel time) and long-term (getting more games that you may not be able to play, plus regular travel back to the store when things sell.)

How much is "more than hundreds of dollars" worth to you in opportunity/time? I ask myself this every time I think I'm making a trade where I'm getting the lesser "value" for it. Usually, my answer is: not as much as you'd think. I traded four out of print expansions for Arkham Horror recently for a copy of a "Works" edition of Kevin Smith's TMNT: Shadows of the Past. Nominally, those expansions had greater value than something that could be gotten from Ebay or elsewhere for straight cash. But my cost assessment was: a new game that I probably won't get a chance to play without spending money that I'd rather not spend vs. a bunch of stuff that's sitting on my shelf and won't see the light of day again anytime soon. I made the trade (like I almost always do.)

Comparing our situations is difficult, since I only have two incidental kids (my girlfriend's; both (largely) self-sufficient teenagers) that don't take up my time at all. The key question for me would be: Do I want more games that I might not play and might not get for months because things don't sell or do I want money right now that I can use for anything?

Given my current mindset, I'd say that *I* would take Option 1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Frohike

More
25 Oct 2018 11:14 #284654 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Consign or Sell?
I'd take option one. I'm a busy person with limited time for personal/fun stuff. Just not worth it to me to spend 2+ hours driving round trip to sell games, unless there was some other compelling reason for me to head out that way. Also, I'd get to spend the money on whatever I wanted.

However, I'm also the person who has been driving around with an unopened microwave oven in my car for a month that needs to be returned to Target. Target is like 15 minutes out of my way on the way home from work. I just haven't had time to make the detour.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Msample, Frohike, repoman

More
25 Oct 2018 11:31 #284655 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Consign or Sell?
I've done both.

If I have surplus games and I have no pressing need for the money, I will do a consignment. Most of the time, I just want to dump the items and get the money, so I either sell to the store or sell online.

Good Luck!

What are you selling?

More
25 Oct 2018 12:04 #284661 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Consign or Sell?
I haven't made the list yet. But it's likely to be 25 or 30 games, because frankly I'm out of space and that more or less is preventing me from buying anything new. It's not like I'm looking to blow hundreds of dollars on new games, but all the old that I'm not playing are just extra baggage. Now that I'm in a new house I have less space and I'm looking to free some of it up.

I have an original Through the Desert people keep asking about, a Cleopatra, Captain Sonar . . . a lot of stuff that is either duplicates with friends or just never played.

More
25 Oct 2018 19:07 #284717 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Consign or Sell?
Is there a local game con with a flea market? Local meetup group ?

More
26 Oct 2018 08:11 #284745 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Consign or Sell?
I'd personally take option 1. When I want stuff gone, I want it gone, period. If the store only wants 16 of the games, make him an offer of something like fitty bucks for the rest. Get em go, get some cash, continue with your life, don't look back, full heart, empty arms, can't lose.

More
26 Oct 2018 10:34 #284762 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Consign or Sell?
I'd go with option 1 and then donate the remainder.

More
26 Oct 2018 20:35 #284809 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Consign or Sell?
For the love of Pete (Putnam)...

Just sell the games for cash now. Death is coming for us all and we've no time to waste.

Attachments:

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.331 seconds