October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

IMPORTANT SITE NOTICE - The END TIMES are here!

More
01 Jun 2018 21:44 #274493 by Colorcrayons
Ahhh. I'm understanding what's going on now.

My apologies to Uba and the mods for creating the corporate political thread then. I had no idea about intentional shift of how the display was working. I assumed that the politics thread got screwed up by the forumwarez.

Again mea culpa.

Politics isn't a big deal until you have people literally using ad hominem. No matter how much I disagree with your stance, if your civil, we're learning at least something.

I guess if you done have patience to be civil while discussing your viewpoint with those who are having difficulty understanding where you're coming from, then perhaps discussing politics may not be a good idea.

I dunno. I hate the whiney "Imma block you because I disagree with you" type of action, but after being the admin for Dakka's off site off topic forum and a few other mod jobs, those ignore buttons do a lot of good in the long run.

Some people are just so disagreeable to a poster that it can save the close quarter community they are all involved in.

For example, Mr. Skeletor was an abrasive person to me right out of the gate on BGG, but we eventually came into an accord. He's even defended me in a lot drama there.
But Barnes can't stand the guy and he isn't here any more. I dunno if that's a good thing, but while Barnes is happy, maybe other people would like to see his contributions. This is where the Iggy button comes in.

Just a thought.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, JMcL63, stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2018 22:43 #274494 by Black Barney
Im glad we have a place we can talk to each other about anything

The existing community is too important to not be awarded such a place. I’m glad you guys figured out a way to make it work

We will self-police like we’ve always done in the past .
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63, stoic

More
02 Jun 2018 06:48 #274503 by stoic

Black Barney wrote: Im glad we have a place we can talk to each other about anything

The existing community is too important to not be awarded such a place. I’m glad you guys figured out a way to make it work

This time you have to wear pants though.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, JMcL63, Black Barney

More
02 Jun 2018 09:49 #274512 by ubarose

Black Barney wrote: Im glad we have a place we can talk to each other about anything

Your welcome, but the forum has always been there. I just gave you all a short cut, because too many folks were whining about having to use the index or the quick nav to get there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
02 Jun 2018 10:11 #274515 by ubarose

Colorcrayons wrote: For example, Mr. Skeletor was an abrasive person to me right out of the gate on BGG, but we eventually came into an accord. He's even defended me in a lot drama there.
But Barnes can't stand the guy and he isn't here any more. I dunno if that's a good thing, but while Barnes is happy, maybe other people would like to see his contributions. This is where the Iggy button comes in.

That's not how things went down. Mr. Skeletor got upset about something and left. The way he left was rather hurtful. We were surprised and upset by it, but always left the door open for him to return. After we got over the shock, we mostly figured maybe he was just having a hard time or a bad day and would come back and work things out, but he didn't. It's all water under the bridge now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
02 Jun 2018 10:24 - 02 Jun 2018 10:57 #274517 by Black Barney
Thanks Shellie, out of love for the Fort and with peace and love let me just make a comment. Because you are risking throwing the baby out with the bath water....

You guys claim to not want to chase away new users and, more importantly, want to ensure women feel more comfortable here. There’s been a lot of talk about whining amongst the admins and such, which is fine I guess when talking about your base and I get that you guys have limits to your patience, but now there is an admin message on the forums, that everyone can see, which is all Misogynistic and stuff... and i get worried that maybe the forest isn’t been seen for the trees

I hate reading that people are accusing you of all sorts of ugly things, that’s inexcusable since you’re constantly bailing water to keep this place from sinking. Everyone loves you so don’t let a couple of bad apples spoil that.

I just hated seeing that admin message, all full of anger and rage , that will unravel all the hard work people are doing to make this place great.

That’s all. Love ya, xoxo

Oh and i don’t know who’s actually demanding that « someone come in and moderate that shit » but no one is asking that . We’ve always self-policed at the Fort and it works fine. It’ll be even easier now in a separate section where a casual browser isn’t going to accidentally wade in and see someone say, out of context, that homosexuality is a choice , or something.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2018 10:57 by Black Barney.

More
02 Jun 2018 11:42 #274521 by ubarose

Black Barney wrote: Thanks Shellie, out of love for the Fort and with peace and love let me just make a comment. Because you are risking throwing the baby out with the bath water....

You guys claim to not want to chase away new users and, more importantly, want to ensure women feel more comfortable here. There’s been a lot of talk about whining amongst the admins and such, which is fine I guess when talking about your base and I get that you guys have limits to your patience, but now there is an admin message on the forums, that everyone can see, which is all Misogynistic and stuff... and i get worried that maybe the forest isn’t been seen for the trees

I hate reading that people are accusing you of all sorts of ugly things, that’s inexcusable since you’re constantly bailing water to keep this place from sinking. Everyone loves you so don’t let a couple of bad apples spoil that.

I just hated seeing that admin message, all full of anger and rage , that will unravel all the hard work people are doing to make this place great.

That’s all. Love ya, xoxo

Quit your whining! :)

Seriously though, notices are temporary. It'll go down once enough of you have seen it and I expect that anyone who doesn't see it will either be able to figure it out or will be set straight by another member or mod. That's not rage. It's exhausted annoyance. And it really does annoy me when people, of their own free will, engage in a thread clearly marked "Enter at your own risk," get into a dust-up with another member, and then PM myself or the mods to come in and take sides or, worse, just send me a terse request to delete their account (and then a week later I get a message on facebook asking to restore it).

And yes, people do ask us to moderate discussions, request that other members be banned or censored, and rage quit when we refuse to do either.

The fact that so many of you have responded in this thread in a reasonable, understanding, thoughtful and sensible manner reassures me that we have a strong group of adults taking part in the Off Topic discussions who will hopefully take an active role in gently self-policing the discussions, and helping de-escalate when necessary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
02 Jun 2018 11:57 #274523 by Black Barney
That’s just plain nuts that people are PMing you guys like you’re a bunch of recess monitors or something. Discussion and arguments are part of being an adult, and one of the better parts too. I’ll take a good ol fashion argument (outside of a courtroom) any day of the week. It’s the only way to kick the tires of ones own presumptions.

Exhausted annoyance sounds right. I get it. Keep up the great work !! Xo
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, stoic, ufe20

More
02 Jun 2018 14:44 #274534 by ubarose

Gary Sax wrote: It's worth having a wider conversation about depending on how it goes, fwiw, though I think it's a fine idea for now. The RSP strategy of BGG is basically the one we're adopting, I'm not sure it's the best? Basically at BGG you can get any topic somebody decides is "political" sunk into this place where no self respecting person wants to go and talk or they'll be endlessly edgelorded. Which basically means the trolls win, since the dynamic tends to be one side being constantly being accused of "politicizing" issues or whatever.

To be clear, I don't think that's happening right now but it's something that could happen.

Being as you are one of our moderators, I trust that you will make help your team make good decisions on a case by case basis to prevent us from going down that road. And don't forget, we always have the nuclear option of moving any truly awful stuff out of Off-Topic and into the actual cess pool of this site - the He Fucking Dick and Bullshit forum. I'm assuming MD has either taught you how to split out a thread or has some process in place to do so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds