October 09, 2023
2452 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

IMPORTANT SITE NOTICE - The END TIMES are here!

More
25 May 2018 15:24 - 25 May 2018 15:25 #274077 by Black Barney
Where's 'there' tho? I can't find it

edit: nevermind, found it
Last edit: 25 May 2018 15:25 by Black Barney.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2018 15:24 #274078 by ChristopherMD
Its there now but that whole Site Tools section was missing earlier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
25 May 2018 15:25 #274079 by ChristopherMD

Black Barney wrote: Where's 'there' tho? I can't find it

The dropdown menu that probably says Articles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Black Barney, xthexlo

More
25 May 2018 15:31 #274080 by ubarose
Probably a bad cache file on the mobile menu. I cleared out the entire site site cache maybe about half an hour ago to pick up some changes. Probably fixed the mobile menu as a bonus.

More
25 May 2018 15:34 #274081 by xthexlo
Yeah. It’s in the drop down. There is a search there now also, although it may be better to have a more standard search indicator... like a magnifying glass to click or a blank box or something.

More
25 May 2018 15:59 #274086 by SuperflyPete
I was logged in.

Whatever you did worked because the menu is much broader now. Lots of shit that wasn’t there before.

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
29 May 2018 15:31 - 29 May 2018 15:34 #274250 by Disgustipater
I noticed the mobile version no longer shows post date. Would it be possible to bring that back when you have time?
Last edit: 29 May 2018 15:34 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
01 Jun 2018 17:16 #274469 by JMcL63
The new Off Topic forum for site members is a good idea.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
01 Jun 2018 17:37 #274473 by Not Sure
Agreed. I found myself reading and getting sucked into those threads, now I can just stay the hell out of there.

The only better solution would have been to give the participants Nerf bats and declare Thunderdome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, JMcL63, Black Barney, stoic

More
01 Jun 2018 17:46 #274474 by Gary Sax
It's worth having a wider conversation about depending on how it goes, fwiw, though I think it's a fine idea for now. The RSP strategy of BGG is basically the one we're adopting, I'm not sure it's the best? Basically at BGG you can get any topic somebody decides is "political" sunk into this place where no self respecting person wants to go and talk or they'll be endlessly edgelorded. Which basically means the trolls win, since the dynamic tends to be one side being constantly being accused of "politicizing" issues or whatever.

To be clear, I don't think that's happening right now but it's something that could happen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63, Black Barney, Colorcrayons, stoic

More
01 Jun 2018 18:12 - 01 Jun 2018 18:35 #274475 by ChristopherMD
Its no secret I'd prefer to go back to simply deleting all political threads. I've regretted allowing even the single official thread since its inception as it's just given people the impression that its okay to start more of those threads. I do believe that most people come to this site to discuss our shared hobbies and geek culture stuff. Politics and such can be argued on a million other websites. The minority who want politics here seem to think it'll be civil discussions since that's how the people are here for the most part. Nobody gets that the reason we can have that level of civility is because we've avoided divisive topics. Mark my words, this will turn into the exact same cesspool that RSP is and due to our smaller community it won't be restricted to one forum area. Instead of gaining members we'll drive them away for being "ignorant fucks" and I'll be among the first wave to go find somewhere else to hang out.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2018 18:35 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, rocketkiwi, Msample, Erik Twice, stoic, xthexlo, ufe20

More
01 Jun 2018 19:19 #274481 by ufe20
Just nuke that shit bro.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Sagrilarus

More
01 Jun 2018 19:33 #274483 by ubarose

ChristopherMD wrote: Its no secret I'd prefer to go back to simply deleting all political threads. I've regretted allowing even the single official thread since its inception as it's just given people the impression that its okay to start more of those threads. I do believe that most people come to this site to discuss our shared hobbies and geek culture stuff. Politics and such can be argued on a million other websites. The minority who want politics here seem to think it'll be civil discussions since that's how the people are here for the most part. Nobody gets that the reason we can have that level of civility is because we've avoided divisive topics. Mark my words, this will turn into the exact same cesspool that RSP is and due to our smaller community it won't be restricted to one forum area. Instead of gaining members we'll drive them away for being "ignorant fucks" and I'll be among the first wave to go find somewhere else to hang out.

I absolutely agree. But no matter what we’ve done, we get complaints from people. When I put them in the Off Topic forum, people freak because they can’t find them, and whine it’s not fair, and accuse me of all kinds of ugly things. When we spit out the bullshit from other discussions, people freak out and complain. Leave it up, people complain. Take it down people complain. The best is when folks go in of their own free will and then get all bent and demand someone come in and moderate the bullshit.

So the tab at the top is a compromise. I advise you not use it. If your tempted to click on it, log out and it will disappear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic

More
01 Jun 2018 20:20 #274486 by stoic
The only reason that I post anything in these political threads at all is that they often become echo chambers for like-minded individuals who enjoy patting each other on the back without any real discourse or debate on the issues--that's so boring! But, when you try to add real debate or when opposition arrives that is contrary to what some might believe, it quickly turns into name calling and boils over into butt-hurt rage. If we can't avoid that, then just get rid of the threads. I also want to apologize if people have been offended by my own posts. That's never been my intent. Likewise, feel free to disagree, it doesn't hurt my feelings--I'm immune.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63, Black Barney, Colorcrayons, xthexlo

More
01 Jun 2018 20:55 #274488 by Erik Twice
I'm kind of a hypocrite. I absolutely believe political threads are a mistake for forums and produce nothing but negativity and problems down the line. But, at the same time I'm inevitably drawn to political threads and post in them.

And I'm exactly the kind of poster that becomes worse in political threads. Erik the political thinker is a meaner, less articulate and less interesting person than Erik the guy who likes train games and sometimes thinks you are playing games wrong. And I think many people are like that. Most of us, even.

ChristopherMD wrote: Nobody gets that the reason we can have that level of civility is because we've avoided divisive topics.

This is probably true.

It actually happened in another forum I visited. We had some political threads and things were mostly ok until gay marriage came up and the forum exploded. After all, what were the mods suppposed to do? Ban half of its posters? Tell the gay posters to endure being shit on? It was a mess and the forum never recovered.

It's unavoidable, too. You cannot remove politics from gaming and given the current artistic trends and the discussion about representation and so on, it's bound to cause a ruckus sooner or later. And then you have the impossible situation to moderate.

It also opens up additional problems. RPS had always been a shithole, but it was slowly becoming worse and more 4chan like under the guise of "no moderation". And BGG admins were happy with the deal until actual Nazis and religious extremists showed up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Colorcrayons, stoic

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds