October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Member Reviews and Ratings are Back

More
19 Apr 2019 10:19 #295763 by Gary Sax
I started uploading my ratings w/snippets from bgg comments or overall two sentence thoughts. It's hilarious to me that my comments are "editors" reviews.

I wonder if it would help to add a little bit to the blurb for the stickied threads disclaimer that's on the cursed conversation thread? Basically trying try to poke people to copy and paste like one sentence from their shooting the shit thoughts into ratings so other people could, you know, benefit from the amazing information that is impossible to access in that thread.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2019 10:37 #295764 by ubarose
@Gary Sax

Awesome idea. Can you write it up and I'll paste it in. I am de-bugging and switching my head over into writing human language is hard.

Yes your reviews are editor reviews. You are expected to conform to Michaels rating standards, which I also need to get up somewhere sometime. Do you have them?

More
19 Apr 2019 10:39 #295765 by dysjunct
Is there a way to edit reviews once they’re submitted?

More
19 Apr 2019 10:59 - 19 Apr 2019 11:00 #295768 by Gary Sax

ubarose wrote: @Gary Sax

Awesome idea. Can you write it up and I'll paste it in. I am de-bugging and switching my head over into writing human language is hard.

Yes your reviews are editor reviews. You are expected to conform to Michaels rating standards, which I also need to get up somewhere sometime. Do you have them?

I will write it up and get it to you today.

re: guidelines. No, I do not. I need those, as right now I am rating willy nilly. It will be easy to go back through and rerate once I have the guidelines if I need to.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2019 11:00 by Gary Sax.

More
19 Apr 2019 11:02 #295769 by Gary Sax

dysjunct wrote: Is there a way to edit reviews once they’re submitted?

I'm not sure what your interface looks like, but underneath my review in the list I see a small blue/purple edit button. You can change text but also just change the rating if that is all that is there.

More
19 Apr 2019 11:28 #295770 by ubarose
@dysjunct

Editing reviews was one of the things I was debugging. It should work now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Colorcrayons

More
19 Apr 2019 19:17 #295786 by WadeMonnig
Almost...made..it..though them all...then went crosseyed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, engineer Al

More
19 Apr 2019 23:10 #295788 by Sagrilarus
I went to put a review on Hold the Line, but a search only brings up articles, and the articles don't link to the game. So I tried to add it, was told it already exists.

I don't see a straightforward way to just search for games. I ran the games list to page 39 to find it alphabetically, but it doesn't appear.

More
19 Apr 2019 23:25 #295789 by Colorcrayons

Sagrilarus wrote: I went to put a review on Hold the Line, but a search only brings up articles, and the articles don't link to the game. So I tried to add it, was told it already exists.

I don't see a straightforward way to just search for games. I ran the games list to page 39 to find it alphabetically, but it doesn't appear.

I had a similar experience when adding Blitz Bowl. It kept giving two articles when asking for the name of the game.

It appeared that I wouldn't be able to add it, but I said "Fuck it. If I did it wrong then the mods can fix it". And hit submit. Apparently it worked out ok.

More
20 Apr 2019 00:38 #295790 by ubarose
You can’t have two things on the site with the same title. Also we don’t want to accidentally have two listings for the same game.

When you enter a title, you will get a list of everything with a similar title. This serves two purposes.

1. If you are submitting a board game, you can see if you are submitting a duplicate. For example you enter “Command and Colors Ancients” and see we already have a listing for “Command & Colors Ancients”

2. You are entering a title for a board game review and enter “Agricola Review” but see that there is already an article titled “Agricola Review” and also one titled “Agricola Board Game Review” so you know you have to come up with something different, and you don’t have to figure it out by trial and error, because you can see what is already being used.

So in Color crayons’s case, it was just showing him we had two articles similar titles, but not identical titles, and he could easily see that neither were an entry for the game. So all was good.

In Sag’s case, there is a Blog entitled “Hold the Line,” so since the system won’t allow identical titles we need to deal with the issue. When I finish this post I am going to go change the title of the blog. If it happens in the future, you can either tell me, or just title the listing “Game Name Board Game” and when I go to edit out the “Board Game” I’ll get the warning message and figure it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Colorcrayons

More
20 Apr 2019 06:57 - 20 Apr 2019 07:06 #295793 by Legomancer
Thank you for this Uba! I went and rated a slew of games and would like to add comments. Is there an easy way to see all the things I've rated? I found it. Click on one of your ratings and you get a link to all of them.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2019 07:06 by Legomancer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
20 Apr 2019 08:30 #295794 by Sagrilarus
Thank you ma'am. That clears it up.

More
20 Apr 2019 11:09 - 20 Apr 2019 11:10 #295800 by ubarose
I want to thank all of you who have taken the time to rate games, write reviews and submit board games. I am in a pleasant state of shock over the massive number of ratings and reviews we have received in the past 48 hours. It caught me a bit unprepared. I will be working on enhancing it to meet the needs of our members. I will start with adding a link in the Site Tools menu so members can easily access all their reviews.

My hope is that this feature will give us a bump up in SEO/Google page rank, and allow me to create pages of Top Rated Games based on search query research to lure google searchers into checking out TWBG.

I also also hope it will create a low barrier of entry for lurkers to register and participate. It can be intimidating to jump into an established forum. Whereas, leaving a rating or short review, or commenting on a review is far easier.

I hope the enthusiasm for this feature continues.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2019 11:10 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, Jexik, hotseatgames, GorillaGrody, JonathanVolk

More
20 Apr 2019 12:15 #295805 by Josh Look
Is Camp Grizzly in the database yet? I can’t find it. Also, I’ll need a 6th star for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Legomancer, hotseatgames, engineer Al, WadeMonnig

More
20 Apr 2019 15:22 #295816 by ubarose
Trust the board game filter. If it doesn’t come up with the keyword filter, it probably doesn’t exist. Submit it. You will get a double check when you enter the title in the submission form, in case it exists under a slightly different title.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.308 seconds