October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Amazon and Apple App Store Eliminate Historical Games Bearing Confederate Flag

More
25 Jun 2015 17:44 #204965 by ubarose

Over the past several days retailers, such as Walmart and Sears have rushed to remove products bearing the Confederate flag from their shelves. At Amazon and Apple this has resulted in several Civil War board games disappearing from the sites.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2015 00:09 #204966 by SuperflyPete
This is so fucked up. I was hoping this was an Onion article.

It's one thing to have a Confed flag on your F-150, spouting racist epithets while bumping to Toby Keith (or David Allen Coe), it's another to yank Battle Cry, which is LEGITIMATELY about history.

Fuck America.

More
26 Jun 2015 01:42 #204974 by DeletedUser
I'm not an American so this doesn't really concern me, but this is just plain dumb and the type of knee-jerk PC reaction that is becoming more and more commonplace these days. You won't even be able buy an accurate replica of the General Lee from The Dukes of Hazzard soon. You'll have to settle for a half-assed version without the Stars and Bars.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan
The following user(s) said Thank You: The*Mad*Gamer

More
26 Jun 2015 04:07 #204978 by ubarose

More
26 Jun 2015 08:24 #204984 by Legomancer

Death and Taxis wrote: "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

aaaahahahahah

More
26 Jun 2015 09:28 #204990 by Josh Look
I don't fly the confederate flag often, but when I do it's on fire and shortly pissed on after.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
26 Jun 2015 09:30 #204991 by Black Barney
oh man, what an overreaction. This is like when movies were edited post-9/11 to remove the Towers from the NYC skyline.

That's just nuts. Civil war games are a fun way to actually learn about the Civil war.

More
26 Jun 2015 11:02 #204997 by bendgar
You can still buy "The South Will Rise Agin" shirts and belt buckles on Amazon.

More
26 Jun 2015 11:09 #204998 by Black Barney
worse than that, you can still buy Munchkin
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, bendgar, jeb, jpat, repoman, Erik Twice, charlest, Gregarius

More
26 Jun 2015 12:01 #204999 by jeb
The government should FORCE Amazon and eBay to sell Confederate flag stuff! That will teach them a valuable lesson about liberty and freedom!

More
01 Jul 2015 15:29 - 01 Jul 2015 15:34 #205232 by The*Mad*Gamer
I see TV Land has now pulled Dukes of Hazzard Reruns due to this Confederate Flag flap!
Let's stop selling confederate flag but Nazi merchandise still available? INSANITY!

I hope you will join me in having them pull reruns off "Maude" of the air!
This show is ANTI-MALE and it deeply offends me! NO MORE "MAUDE" dragging men thru the dirt!
Last edit: 01 Jul 2015 15:34 by The*Mad*Gamer.

More
01 Jul 2015 15:49 #205233 by Mr. White
That's ridiculous.

I say this as someone who's ancestors fought for the North, but _loves_ the South. I think it was a mistake for the US Govt to ever let the flag of a failed insurrection to fly on a state capitol. Bring those down for sure, but going scorched earth like this is nuts.

More
01 Jul 2015 15:58 #205234 by Michael Barnes
The takeaway from all of this is that this prompted Steve to reference MAUDE.

MAUDE.

What's next, She's the Sheriff?

More
01 Jul 2015 17:44 #205237 by Michael Barnes
This just in- GF9 announces upcoming MAUDE: THE BOARD GAME.

More
01 Jul 2015 23:33 - 01 Jul 2015 23:37 #205246 by OldHippy
One day I was sitting in the back of a bus, a public transit bus, and I was playing my Nintendo DS (gives you a rough idea of the time period). Suddenly I hear someone scream out loud: "What's with all these goddamn foreigners!!" I look up from my game... the bus is full of Chinese and Indian people (common in Vancouver) and when I say Indian... I mean Indian, not Native... in other words.. a 'foreigner' (like me) - not a single white person on the bus ... So I desperately look back down at my game... 'ignore it, ignore it, ignore it' is the mantra chiming off in my head. It feels like the whole bus is staring at me and I can feel that a huge ass kicking is about to happen. A few minutes later I hear another scream: "At least learn the goddamn language!!" I look up again... several roughly brownish faces staring at me... MY GOD! Please don't let them blame me, I'm just playing some goddamn Astro Boy (the Treasure game which was fantastic by the way)... please leave me alone.

Stares, lots of stares. I feel awkward, vulnerable, desperate. What do I do?

Finally my stop comes, I get up and start walking off the bus. In front of me is the one other white person from the bus ride. He was sitting in the same row as me on the other side so I couldn't actually see him until just now. I look closely, a giant Swastika adorns the back of his jacket... hmmmm, I may have found our culprit.

As I get off I see him getting into a fight with two Indian dudes who I'm sure were just about to kick his ass. Thing is... this guy was not a threat to anyone, he was a crazy person and clearly no one thought of him as anything other than that. Now he was about to get the ass whooping that maybe he deserved... maybe not. I don't know how bad it was. But the Swastika should have been the tip off that this guys was bonkers...

That's roughly why I think the Confederate flag should stay legal. I like the idea that it's easy to spot these people. If we create a world where bigotry or racism is straight up illegal... people will just get better at hiding it. PC language gives a road map to bigots so that they can spout their nonsense and appear as if they are normal people. Honest language and honest attire makes it a level playing field. It allows everyone to be themselves and I find the world much easier to deal with if everyone is more honest about who they are. It's also easier to solve social problems because we are more aware of them.

As for historical games... it'll pass. Germany is still dealing with that crap when it comes to Swastika's... America may take some time to get over this. It is worth noting though that the 'confederate' flag wasn't used that often by the south anyway. There are plenty of other less popular flags that were used and those games could use some historical accuracy anyway. So switch it to one of the many others for now and don't worry about it.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2015 23:37 by OldHippy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds