October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Inside Out - Barney's Incorrect Five Second Reviews

More
29 Jun 2015 10:27 #205149 by Black Barney

I took my 4-yr old, Emily, to this on a rainy Sunday afternoon. In typical Pixar fashion, they succeed once again in getting me to both laugh a ton and cry a little. This is an excellent film, Pixar's finest in years.

I was just trying to explain Boyhood to someone the other day and how the 'random' moments featured in the film and probably core memories for the kid, like when you remember playing with your dad and sister around some rock monument somewhere. Inside Out explores that further in how various core memories make up who you are.

The movie is top notch hilarious and I couldn't get enough of Lewis Black's anger emotion. Super smart screenwriting as well.

I lost it when Riley ends up forgetting her imaginary friend. I guess it happens to all of us but boy, was that sad. Luckily it helped me remember mine, Crazy Marvin, and how we used to play board games together (Risk, Buck Rogers, Dungeon!).

Totally awesome movie. My girl was less engaged in this one than she was in Song of the Sea (her last animated outing). I think it's because some of the themes in this flick are pretty adult. Also she couldn't understand why I was laughing so hard. I actually don't think there's enough kid-stuff in here for them.

Strongly recommended just the same.

Heart rating: 5 stars

Brain rating: 4.5 stars

The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy, boothwah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2015 19:41 #205150 by Jexik
I also saw this with a 4-year-old (and an adult too). We liked it more than the kid as well. I agree that it's one of their better movies in awhile.

Even the mini-scenes during the ending credits were creative and funny.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
29 Jun 2015 21:43 #205157 by Not Sure
I took my boys (12 and 9) with my wife.

I liked it a lot, but what's strange is I liked it more afterwards than I did during it. While I was watching the formula was right in my face, but after I walked away and thought about it some more I recognized the craft in the film.

Boyhood is an interesting comparison, and I think you're onto something. That movie was so flawed, but some sections were just incredible, and the core memories analogy is spot on.

This isn't really going to be a 4-year-olds movie, I think it's really written for adults (much like Brave is more about motherhood than about the actual lead character).

But yeah, lots of singing the rocket song around my house for days afterwards. That part definitely hit me as well, one of the best executed scenes in the film.

More
07 Jul 2015 20:58 - 07 Jul 2015 21:01 #205609 by boothwah

I lost it when Riley ends up forgetting her imaginary friend. I guess it happens to all of us but boy, was that sad. Luckily it helped me remember mine, Crazy Marvin, and how we used to play board games together (Risk, Buck Rogers, Dungeon!).

/I've missed your reviews
//The ones about what you ate for lunch mostly
///OCD SAYS THERE MUST BE THREE
Last edit: 07 Jul 2015 21:01 by boothwah. Reason: forgot slashies

More
08 Jul 2015 10:05 #205666 by Black Barney
Boothby! I missed you! Man, your brief appearance here might be enough to get Ken to come out of hiding.

Man, I had a sub the other day where I think either the county mayonnaise or the capicollo was post-date and i had three painful visits that afternoon. Awful. I got the iBS in check these days, they got these fermented milk little drink things called Bio-K, I take a teaspoon a day (each small bottle has like 50 billion antibiotic probiotic something or other). Anyway, it helps getting the intestinal flora back in check.

I thought of you when I saw this movie cuz I remember how you saw Up with your family and 3 of you were crying in the first 5 minutes and your youngest looked around all confused why the entire family was crying at a cartoon, lol. Love that story.

you should hang around here more. i loves ya

More
13 Jul 2015 23:50 #206211 by KingPut
I agree with Not Sure, I liked the movie and I was glad I saw it but I didn't love it. A couple days later me and my daughters are still talking about it. We talked about our own core memories, and letting go of some memories and about how cool the abstract thought area was. So now I really glad I took the spawn,

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds