October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Ghostbusters (2016) Review

More
18 Jul 2016 10:48 #230364 by Josh Look
I'm not sure it's a poor script, but it is an uneven one. The pacing gets weird towards the end, and I have mixed feelings about the time spent on Rowan. I like his plot on paper, the idea of someone possibly using Ghostbusters tech for malicious purposes is a pretty cool concept, especially when you add in the idea of leylines to accomplish it, but Rowan himself is a cartoon character. So is everyone else in this movie, but he is just so over the top that you can't take the threat he makes seriously. I think if you were to just plop your villain down in the end of a movie today like they did with Gozer, mouthbreathing dweebs all over the internet would be crying foul over an underdeveloped bad guy, but unfortunately this doesn't really work either.

The reason I give it a pass despite this is because the cast is just so damned fun to watch, even after the battle at the end is over. And let's be fair, that's what made Ghostbusters so endearing to begin with, that Peter, Ray, Egon, Winston, Janine, Dana, and Louis were really great, funny characters that you wanted to watch, not for its take on Lovecraftian mumbo jumbo which is kind of hastily thrown together in the last 20 minutes or so.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2016 13:48 #230397 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Ghostbusters (2016) Review
Structurally, the film seems OK to me, and I don't even really have a problem with the villain. I'm just more bothered by the dialogue that, overall, seems flat, waves at the idea of "funny" without often being funny, and is not worthy of the cast.

More
18 Jul 2016 14:22 #230403 by Shellhead
Friend: Have you seen Ghostbusters yet?

Me: [playing dumb] Yeah, I saw it in 1984.

Friend: [gives lengthy explanation that this is a new Ghostbusters featuring an all-female cast.]

Me: Is there any nudity?

Friend: No.

Me: Then what is the point?

More
18 Jul 2016 19:27 #230431 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Shellhead wrote: Friend: Have you seen Ghostbusters yet?

Friend: [gives lengthy explanation that this is a new Ghostbusters featuring an all-female cast.]

This pisses me off. Either you are joining in with the gamergate style attack that decries any female intrusion into male space, or you are just mucking around not really being sexist but aware of the controversy and poking it a bit. The danger with the latter approach is it encourages the haters and allows them to make their irrational attacks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

More
19 Jul 2016 08:22 #230463 by Legomancer

Shellhead wrote: Friend: Have you seen Ghostbusters yet?

hurr hurr boobs

More
19 Jul 2016 09:30 #230468 by Shellhead
Just poking a bit. I'm tired of Hollywood remaking everything in sight. Sometimes the results are good or even great, but usually they fail to rise above the original or even general mediocrity. I have nothing specific against this new Ghostbusters, but since it represents nothing new and the advance buzz is just okay, I won't get around to watching it for a couple of years. And then I will enjoy (or not enjoy) the movie for what it is, as opposed to taking it in the context of the current overheated debate in our society.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
20 Jul 2016 11:31 #230517 by Cranberries
It sounds like it will show up at our dollar theater soon.

More
30 Jul 2016 16:49 #231143 by Ancient_of_MuMu
As we had free cinema tickets and had to get out of the house for a few hours while we had no power, my wife and I saw Ghostbusters for the second time (plus our girls for their first time). The surprising thing for both of us was how much more we enjoyed it the second time, going from a 7 to an 8.5 or 9. I suspect that it is because plot matters less on subsequent viewings and characters more, and as I said after the first time I saw it the characters are the strongest part.

Both my daughters gave the diplomatic answer when I asked them who their favourite Ghostbuster was of "Holtzmann is the coolest but I liked Patty the most".

More
30 Jul 2016 18:02 #231144 by Black Barney
"The fat one"

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds