October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Barnes on Games Catchup Post- DOOM, Ogre, TMNT, Acquire, Armada Wave 5, Dreamlands, Conan Expansions...

More
27 Feb 2017 01:24 #244579 by Cranberries
Now I want Ogre 6E and GEV 6E. Did Ogre 6E come out two years ago? How did I miss that? And when are we getting a working version of Car Wars with scenarios?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2017 18:34 #244626 by Michael Barnes
Yeah man, that was the big "Designer's Edition". It's MASSIVE. It has everything. It is virtually unmanageable. The 6th edition "Ogre only" edition I reviewed just came out, it is JUST Ogre and nothing else. Supposedly a GEV box like this is coming out, and if it does I might jettison the Designer's Edition I have sitting in a chopped-down box up in the closet.

New DOOM is much different, very much a new design and not a retread of the 2005 game. It's more detailed and mechanical, but also more fun to play and interesting. It also feels more like DOOM.

More
02 Mar 2017 12:50 #244725 by waddball
I admit I'm a bit overboard on Eldritch. I actually printed out some nice fan expansions (King in Yellow, Children of Yuggoth, Masks of Nyarlathotep) and am enjoying those. So I'm a little too close to see through a more casual lens.

That said, I like Dreamlands, and I don't see this dilution problem. It's nicely modular. Perhaps too modular, in that if you go full random on setup you'll barely see all that cool stuff you paid for. But if you just grab the relevant preludes, Dreamlands is great: the sideboard is easy to get to, the stories fit the HPL Dream Cycle, and both new AOs are pretty cool.

My issue is with the value proposition. The small-box expansions give you way more bang for your buck. Dreamlands was particularly light on overall content. But what was there, was good (IMO).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
02 Mar 2017 16:11 #244734 by Michael Barnes
Well, I probably should have stated in the review that if you are JUST playing Dreamlands, it's going to naturally have more impact and all of its additions are going to be more significant in general. That's the hard thing with FFG's expansion model...it gets to where you have to ask if you want to sort out/cycle four or five expansions worth of stuff to play JUST whatever is new.

I usually just stack the decks with something new like this though, at least to a minimum degree...just so some of that new stuff is guaranteed to show up.

I kind of wish they were more modular in that you could just plug in a set of cards rather than have this all-in orgy of cards from years' worth of expansions. That was what made Arkham Horror untenable.

More
03 Mar 2017 11:44 #244775 by waddball
I agree, you're all in on some things, and almost never in on others. But I think they've done a mostly good job with the "all in" stuff, as it's what you don't mind more of (weapons, non-specific encounters, conditions, spells). Just deep stacks, but...a minor inconvenience.

I could wish that when they introduce something new that they would keep it in relative sync variety-wise. It's kind of weird to have 13 unique Debts, but only 4 Blights. But it's a hard call, as some people don't want any new Blights, as they never bought Signs of Carcosa. But as long as it's internally consistent (encounters don't reference things you don't have) I think it's fine, and they've been careful about that. That's where Arkham went off the rails, unless you do some curating and pre-game prep.

I think the way to look at the big boxes is that you get one very specific scenario, one generic scenario using the setting, and a bunch of extra general stuff you'll always use. So if you're not that into the scenario, avoid, as the small boxes give you the general stuff without the extra cost/overhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds