October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Hell Comes to Frogtown (1988)

More
21 May 2017 11:00 #248822 by Egg Shen

They say that you can’t judge a book by it’s cover. Well, can you judge it based on it’s name? If so I’m sure Hell Comes to Frogtown is something worthy of my time. If the insanely dumb title doesn’t sucker you in, then allow me to explain why this is piece of cinematic trash is absolutely worth a watch.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2017 22:16 #248823 by engineer Al
LOVE this movie. Still have a copy kicking around somewhere on VHS and you have definitely inspired me to dig it up. Mike, we don't have nearly enough time together, but someday I would love to do a "Bad Movie Fest!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
22 May 2017 11:01 - 22 May 2017 11:19 #248839 by Mr. White
This is an out and out classic. It is true when they say 'they don't make them like they used to' when we're talking about these sort of low to mid budget films with practical effects and costumes. I want to say maybe Dog Soldiers was the last, current flick of this sort I saw that didn't use CGI....and that had to be about 15yrs ago.

Man, these Frogs are so much better for being folks in suits over computer cartoons...

Great review, Egg! I'd mention the fact that this flick also stars Sandahl Bergman!
Last edit: 22 May 2017 11:19 by Mr. White.

More
22 May 2017 11:31 #248844 by stormseeker75
Love this movie. It's so terrible. Piper is great. Apparently my wife has some workout videos starring the actress who's name I can't remember.

More
22 May 2017 16:18 #248862 by Unicron
This review warmed my heart. Thanks, Egg!

I've been meaning to rewatch this and Dead Heat.. I miss the era of the American auteur.

More
22 May 2017 16:47 #248866 by SuperflyPete
How the hell did you write this and not include this...

More
22 May 2017 19:44 - 22 May 2017 19:44 #248875 by Egg Shen
Yes Al we certainly need to plan a Saturday night of drinking booze and watching a couple of amazingly shitty movies. Truth be told, it's one of my favorite things to do on good ol Planet Earth! Let's make it happen!

I wasn't sure if I should have posted this review here, but man we talk about movies and shit so much in the forums I figured why not. Plus I figured Rowdy Roddy's Piper's infinite radness would restore balance to the site after seeing Black Barney review that CG Baby Movie....

On a serious note, I fucking love these shitty B grade Post Apocalyptic films from the 1980s. Which ones do you guys love the most and what I should track down immediately? The bar can't go too low. I live for this shit!
Last edit: 22 May 2017 19:44 by Egg Shen.

More
22 May 2017 20:59 #248878 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Egg Shen wrote: On a serious note, I fucking love these shitty B grade Post Apocalyptic films from the 1980s. Which ones do you guys love the most and what I should track down immediately? The bar can't go too low. I live for this shit!

Warriors of the Wasteland a.k.a. The New Barbarians. Our hero drives around after the apocalypse in The Homer:

The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
22 May 2017 21:46 #248880 by SebastianBludd
There's also Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone. It came out in 1983 and is pretty terrible but it was in constant rotation on HBO so I watched it several times. I don't remember much about it other than Michael Ironside as the cyborg villain creeped me the hell out.

More
23 May 2017 02:17 #248885 by Ancient_of_MuMu
My daughter was telling me the other day that a few years ago my wife and I were watching post-apoc movie "Cherry 2000", and she came in and started watching it with us, and I said to her "one day in the future you will stumble across this film, and realize that is the movie you watched 10 minutes of when you were 11, and you will probably only remember that guy's shorts", and then promptly the guy in the shorts died.

So all I can recall of Cherry 2000 is that Melanie Griffiths is in it, she has red hair, and in spite of that isn't the titular character, and that according to my daughter there is a guy with an awesome pair of shorts in it.

More
23 May 2017 09:18 - 23 May 2017 09:25 #248891 by Mr. White
Blood of Heroes is a great one about sports in a post apocalyptic world. I remember enjoying it a lot, but I don't think it has the zany or the goofy like a Hell Comes to Frogtown. Takes itself a little more seriously.

Hardware's another good one. Great 2000AD sort of vibe. 1990 release so just at the tail end of the era.

Not exactly straight post-apocalyptic, but you definitely want to check out the recent Death Race 2050. It's made in that 70s/80s straight to video style and has all the right beats to include all the silly gratuitousness. I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. On Netflix last I checked.

Last edit: 23 May 2017 09:25 by Mr. White.

More
23 May 2017 10:27 #248896 by Sagrilarus

Egg Shen wrote: I wasn't sure if I should have posted this review here, but man we talk about movies and shit so much in the forums I figured why not.

The first time I came to F:At the front page showed Will Smith with a review of Hancock. Caught me off guard, but it was cool nonetheless. That was just shy of 10 years ago. So there's plenty of history with "other things trash" on the site.

More
23 May 2017 10:33 #248898 by Mr. White

Egg Shen wrote: Plus I figured Rowdy Roddy's Piper's infinite radness would restore balance to the site after seeing Black Barney review that CG Baby Movie....

Yeah, this was needed to cleanse the site.

Ya know, I used to think that resume-gate was the lowest point in F:AT's history, but nah, it's got to be Barney trying to convince us to watch that Baby Movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
23 May 2017 16:28 #248937 by Ancient_of_MuMu
B Grade post apoc movies of that ilk that I have in my collection:
1990: The Bronx Warriors, Battletruck, Blood of Heroes, Cherry 2000, Damnation Alley, Deathrace 2000, Deathsport, Hell Comes to Frogtown, Megaforce, Prayer of the Rollerboys, Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone, Warriors of the Wasteland

And as a bonus, here are the epic shorts from Cherry 2000:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
24 May 2017 11:17 #248995 by engineer Al
I stayed home sick from work yesterday, which was the perfect time to dig up my VCR copy of HCtF and watch while lying in bed. It was a pretty perfect way to kill some pain. Goofy frog costumes, hot nurses from the future and a chick with a huge machine gun. What more can you ask for? Some lessons that I learned:

1. If women ruled the military, combat vehicles would be painted pink.
2. After the apocalypse, all women will have hairstyles from 1980’s MTV.
3. The best possible thing to yell when you burst into a room brandishing two shotguns is: “EAT LEAD FROGGIES!”

Also, I noticed in the credits that the screenplay is by Randall Frakes. Thinking this name looked familiar I looked him up on the internets. Turns out this is a man with a varied and interesting career. Not only did he write the screenplay for this gem and for ROLLERBLADE, but he also penned the novelizations for TERMINATOR and TERMINATOR 2 as well as doing “Special Visual Effects” for ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK and, “Synthesizer Effects” for ALIENS. What a strange and wonderful world we live in.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds