October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2651 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Flashback Friday - Agricola & Interview with Hanno

More
29 Jan 2008 21:54 #270745 by Mr Skeletor
1) Who are you, what do you do and what...

It's Flashback Friday. Do you still play Agricola? Did you ever play Agricola?

Also, for your amusement, this interview with Hanno Girke, originally published January 29, 2008. 

The Hot Throne: 20 Questions with Hanno!

The John the Baptist of the gaming world, Hanno Girke, leaves the comforts of the farm to come have a friendly fireside chinwag with Mr Skeletor and answer 20 questions.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2018 07:52 - 22 Jun 2018 07:53 #276001 by Josh Look
I actually *like* worker placement games and I don’t play Agricola anymore. For all it’s variability with the cards you get, it’s still really scripted. You have to plan to grow your family and do so as soon as you can. In all my many plays of the game, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone who doesn’t do that win. Also, the “You have to do everything and you’re punished for not doing something” angle of the game has wore out its welcome for me.

For worker placement I will play Champions of Midgard (with expansions), Raiders of the North Sea, or Tzolk’in, all of which are top tier for the genre.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2018 07:53 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, WadeMonnig

More
22 Jun 2018 09:59 #276011 by ubarose
I play it maybe once or twice a year at my monthly game group, which is predominantly Euro-game players. It is one of those "touchstone" games. Everyone knows how to play, and the rules a pretty intuitive, so all it takes is a quick rules refresh to start playing.

I mostly enjoy the toy aspect of the game. I like building my farm and playing with all the little animals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
22 Jun 2018 11:39 #276027 by Joebot
I sincerely hope to never, ever play the board game again.

HOWEVER, I still play the iOS app a lot, especially the single-player mode. It's a great way to play, because it turns the game from a boring board game into a fun, thinky puzzle. Over the course of successive rounds, you have to surpass an increasingly higher score, in order to advance to the next round. And it even has a bit of a "level up" flavor, in that you're allowed to keep one Occupation card from each round. So by the sixth round, you've got five Occupation cards in play at the start ... but, you have to score, like, 75 points or whatever. I like it a lot. This is pretty much the only way I'll play Agricola anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, SuperflyPete

More
22 Jun 2018 12:00 #276028 by Colorcrayons
Without timestamps, I'm having difficulties knowing what's a timewarp admin post or if an old poster created a new article from old content.

More
22 Jun 2018 12:16 #276031 by SuperflyPete
I unashamedly love Agricola and my only complaint is that you’re forced to be a jack of all trades instead of specializing. Granted, I don’t think the game would work well if you could just build a sheep engine and pump them out indefinitely, but the final scoring seems oppressive.

If I had time, I’d like to create a MDK deck which includes pesticide, poison, and fire cards which you can build to respectively kill fields, kill animals, and burn buildings to the ground. That would make the game so much more fun for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
22 Jun 2018 12:44 #276032 by ubarose
I actually had no interest in ever playing Agricola, until I read this interview. I figured, if the publisher has that sense of humor, the game can't be all bad. The interview still, literally makes me laugh out loud when I read it. Also, Hanno sent me the X-deck, to make the game more Ameritrashy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, WadeMonnig

More
22 Jun 2018 14:40 #276037 by Jexik
Awesome! Whatever happened to Skeletor?

More
22 Jun 2018 15:01 #276038 by charlest
He's still very active on BGG. You can find him in the various forums for massive plastic Kickstarter games.

More
22 Jun 2018 15:02 #276039 by Shellhead

Jexik wrote: Awesome! Whatever happened to Skeletor?

He rage-quit F:AT many years ago. I can't remember why. I believe there have been occasional sightings of him in specific game discussion threads at BGG since then.

More
22 Jun 2018 15:30 #276040 by WadeMonnig

ubarose wrote: I actually had no interest in ever playing Agricola, until I read this interview. I figured, if the publisher has that sense of humor, the game can't be all bad. The interview still, literally makes me laugh out loud when I read it. Also, Hanno sent me the X-deck, to make the game more Ameritrashy.

I swear everyone who wanted me to try Agricola described it as "well, it's a pretty dry, somewhat boring Euro that I really like." Wow, don't oversell it TOO much.

More
22 Jun 2018 15:47 #276041 by ubarose

WadeMonnig wrote:

ubarose wrote: I actually had no interest in ever playing Agricola, until I read this interview. I figured, if the publisher has that sense of humor, the game can't be all bad. The interview still, literally makes me laugh out loud when I read it. Also, Hanno sent me the X-deck, to make the game more Ameritrashy.

I swear everyone who wanted me to try Agricola described it as "well, it's a pretty dry, somewhat boring Euro that I really like." Wow, don't oversell it TOO much.

I guess it depend upon how you look at it. Mr. Skeletor argues that it is a game about f**king.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, WadeMonnig

More
22 Jun 2018 16:04 - 22 Jun 2018 16:06 #276043 by Jexik

charlest wrote: You can find him in the various forums for massive plastic Kickstarter games.

HAHA. Well that explains why I haven't seen him.

ubarose wrote: I guess it depend upon how you look at it. Mr. Skeletor argues that it is a game about f**king.

I call this the Stone Age fallacy. superfly has to play Agricola now.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2018 16:06 by Jexik.

More
22 Jun 2018 18:27 #276045 by repoman
Played it twice. Hated it both times and spent half the game just wishing it would end.

I've no problem with worker placement. I love Dominant Species.

More
22 Jun 2018 19:13 #276049 by ecargo
I still love Agricola. It's among my favorites. I am an unabashed Uwe fangirl.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds