October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

TWBG Statement on Harassment, Abuse, and Intolerance in the Gaming World

More
26 Jun 2018 00:47 - 26 Jun 2018 00:50 #276209 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic New site direction

quozl wrote: I hope I'm wrong and we see real change here.

I didn’t realize there was a problem HERE. I haven’t seen any racism or intolerant, crazy shit here. No Nazis, no gay bashing, nothing.

I mean, being conservative in any way is definitely frowned upon by many but I haven’t read anyone being blatantly hostile towards anyone of any particular “identity group” for lack of a better label. I hate labels, so forgive my lack of a better one.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2018 00:50 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, stoic, Nashorn80

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2018 06:01 #276217 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic New site direction
Excellent!

More
26 Jun 2018 08:29 #276218 by Legomancer
I applaud the statement and its unequivocal nature. Forceful stands must be made and folks need to be told, without question, that their brand of toxicity is not welcome and will not be tolerated.

That said, as others have pointed out here and elsewhere on the site, there is still a level of "just bros being dudes" going on that we need to recognize and address. Even purposely "ironic" stuff _is still that stuff_. It doesn't have to be shiny happy fun time all games and players are great in their own special way -- we already have a place for that -- but I think we can elevate out of the remnants of 2004 juvenile nerdbro Internet some.

Even with that, however, I still enjoy the discussions here far more than elsewhere, and I think the site is on the right track.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., quozl, WadeMonnig

More
26 Jun 2018 09:54 #276231 by ubarose
If you have only been reading main stream boardgame sites and groups, you have only seen the tip of the iceberg. BGG is positively tame, almost laughable, compared to the whole parade of ugly that is happening right now. The incel rhetoric that is polluting women gamer blogs over this issue is so disgusting that I literally gagged reading. The problem with the word "motherfucker" is that, despite it being considered the strongest and most vile swear word in the English language, it is still inadequate at expressing the extent of the vileness of these people or the depth of my rage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, drewcula, WadeMonnig, rafcordero

More
26 Jun 2018 10:14 - 26 Jun 2018 10:14 #276234 by drewcula
I am so insulated. I only visit four gaming sites. Daily.
BGG
TWBG
and
Two private Facebook Groups:
one for DreadBall
and
one for the Hobby side of life

None of sites above exhibit vitriol. Ubarose's description of the wider gaming communities online is alarming and depressing.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2018 10:14 by drewcula.

More
26 Jun 2018 10:20 #276236 by rafcordero
I was really happy to see the last line in particular. One of the most frustrating things about many online spaces is moderators/admins insistence that calling an asshole an asshole is worse than a person behaving like an asshole without using naughty words. Conversation derailment, arguments in bad faith, reprehensible attitudes etc are welcome under the guise of free speech or conversation, so long as they're 'civil'. Some beliefs or actions are inherently uncivil. I'd rather join a community that is ok with calling someone a motherfucker who deserves it, than one that allows toxic members under the guise of bothsidesisms or one that abdicates responsibility under the guise of 'free speech'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Black Barney, Frohike, Erik Twice, GorillaGrody, WadeMonnig

More
26 Jun 2018 10:26 #276238 by quozl
I'm hesitant to post this as I fear it will derail this thread into people arguing about the language used but I do want to point out that using words associated with sexual violence is pretty tone deaf when you're talking about making this site free of that kind of thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
26 Jun 2018 10:44 #276240 by ubarose

quozl wrote: I'm hesitant to post this as I fear it will derail this thread into people arguing about the language used but I do want to point out that using words associated with sexual violence is pretty tone deaf when you're talking about making this site free of that kind of thing.

Motherfucker isn't a word associated with sexual violence. It is associated with the breaking of society's most sacred taboos, which makes the person vile and despicable.

Identity harassment has been accepted, even encouraged, in nerd culture forever. We are declaring that on TWBG this harassment is not just inappropriate, unfunny, disruptive, threatening, hostile and mean, but absolutely taboo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Frohike, Erik Twice

More
26 Jun 2018 11:06 - 26 Jun 2018 11:07 #276242 by SuperflyPete
If not for mother fucking, how would Incels get laid? Hell, perhaps if mothers would take action on behalf of all women, they wouldn't be running women down on the street? ~ Asking for a friend ;)
Last edit: 26 Jun 2018 11:07 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
26 Jun 2018 11:13 #276245 by jeb
Sounds good, Michael. Thanks Uba and the other editors here for creating this place. There's a reason I have been active here and essentially nowhere else online for the last ten years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Black Barney, Frohike

More
27 Jun 2018 02:30 #276316 by Xerxes

More
27 Jun 2018 12:34 #276370 by SuperflyPete
I submit that “in the gaming world” be stricken from the title.
The following user(s) said Thank You: quozl, xthexlo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.599 seconds