October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Dungeon Degenerates Second Printing Kickstarter Announced

More
27 Jun 2018 13:47 #276387 by Michael Barnes
The fascist imagery thing is hard to shake in punk and metal (especially in the 1970s and early 80s), and Sean lays it out pretty plainly and accurately. There’s no defending it, but there was definitely a trend toward using Nazi symbols for shock value. Siouxsie Sioux wore a swastika armband in that infamous Bill Grundy interview with the Sex Pistols. Joy Division was originally called Warsaw and both names have fascist overtones- and so does New Order. The Dead Boys wore them, the Stooges wore them...it was a “thing” but it wasn’t connected to politics ideology or even racism. It was about adopting a symbol that had been anathema to the post-WWII generation. Embracing the taboo. The iron crosses (think Motörhead) and all of the Germanic stuff- pickelhaubs,
lightning bolts, and all that- is part of that too, and it does go off into biker and BSDM subcultures. Even up to Slayer you see this going on- remember those “Slaytanic Wehrmacht” shirts? Throbbing Gristle, Marilyn Manson, Pink Floyd, David Bowie...fascist imagery and rock n’ roll have long been strange bedfellows.

But now, in more enlightened times, those symbols should fall into disuse because fascism and racism are on the rise and we don’t need either the ambiguity or the shock value, and there isn’t any lowbrow “kitsch” justification for their use. There are actual Nazis working in the White House and concentration camps for non-whites on American soil. I’m glad he acknowledged the problem with that stuff.

So yeah, I saw that stuff and I got it, I knew what he was referencing and I wasn’t really shocked by it and I didn’t thing “oh no, he’s a Nazi”. But I have the context, and others may not.

It tickles me that there is an “Infamous Butcher” and “Angel of Death” character pack. If you don’t get it...well, that’s even a Nazi reference by way of Slayer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Josh Look, Frohike, blatz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2018 15:50 #276400 by southernman
As someone who never even knew about this game until recently but who is interested in the wandering rpg type mechanic in a boardgame can people advise me how much extra content on top of the base gaem, if any, is required to get a lot of replayability out of it.

And remind me about it again next week.

More
27 Jun 2018 16:34 - 27 Jun 2018 16:35 #276410 by Frohike
There are plenty of scenarios in the base game and branching between them so it will take quite awhile for you to see all of these. I've gone through 3-4 campaigns with 3-5 scenarios each and didn't see the same thing twice. I haven't used the extra scenarios from the world books yet (I think there are only a couple of these anyway). The character variety in the core set is excellent, but each character is unique enough that it will probably compel you to experiment with more characters each time you play. The core system thrives on variety (in its scenarios, its loot, its encounters/events), and injecting new characters into the mix compounds this effect. If the game hooks you, you're pretty likely to hunt down at least one of the character packs. I'm guessing these will be a bit cheaper in the KS.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2018 16:35 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman, Gary Sax

More
27 Jun 2018 23:17 #276444 by blatz
I hope I didn't imply that I thought the creators were nazis. I totally get the rock/fascist aesthetic, I've just never never liked it. Counter-culture shouldn't equal a bunch of privileged white dudes doing insensitive shit and telling other people how wrong and square they are for not "getting it."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Frohike

More
27 Jun 2018 23:21 #276445 by Gary Sax
Blatz, absolutely not. It's right to point that stuff out. Completely germane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, blatz

More
29 Jun 2018 09:11 #276553 by hotseatgames
Prices are more than I'd like to pay for this, as much as I'd like to play it. Base game is $70 + $20 shipping. Nope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LilRed, ecargo

More
29 Jun 2018 09:39 #276555 by Gary Sax
With 2 expansions it's 153.

Urgh. This one will go down to the wire on my part deciding.

More
29 Jun 2018 10:07 #276559 by Shellhead
I must be looking at the wrong page for pricing. What I see is that a $45 pledge gets you one copy of the base game. $150 gets you five copies of the game. Was that the pricing for the original Kickstarter?

More
29 Jun 2018 10:19 #276561 by charlest
Yes, you're looking at the wrong Kickstarter page.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
29 Jun 2018 10:20 #276562 by ubarose

Shellhead wrote: I must be looking at the wrong page for pricing. What I see is that a $45 pledge gets you one copy of the base game. $150 gets you five copies of the game. Was that the pricing for the original Kickstarter?

It just went live. Here's the link https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seanaaberg/dungeon-degenerates-hand-of-doom-second-printing?ref=discovery&term=dungeon%20degenerates

The discount isn't as good on the base game as the first KS. Only $10 oof so it's $70.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecargo

More
29 Jun 2018 12:29 #276575 by Sagrilarus
This is another example of Kickstarter becoming an OLGS, which is fine with me. I think we'll see more and more of this, as Kickstarter matures into a more institutional web site for established products.

This isn't just a boardgame thing. I'm seeing it with products from Amazon Basics like cheapy headphones or special sized light bulbs. There's a "print run" of the product, and once the print run sells out the product is no longer available. The product remains on the web store listed as "Unavailable" and stays that way until there's another print run. I think that's the new production model -- spin up an assembly line, blow out 100,000 copies, refit the assembly line to produce something else, sell copies until they run out, consider if another run is worth the cost.

Highjack complete, don't encourage me.

I know nothing about this game and the garish artwork doesn't attract me very much. But I'll tell you what, the spokesperson in the how-to-play video could make a career of it. She's way better than the usual people you see from small-time publishers.

More
29 Jun 2018 13:07 #276578 by charlest

Sagrilarus wrote: I know nothing about this game and the garish artwork doesn't attract me very much. But I'll tell you what, the spokesperson in the how-to-play video could make a career of it. She's way better than the usual people you see from small-time publishers.

She has. That's Becca Scott from Geek & Sundry. She just did the Warhammer Age of Sigmar 2nd edition how to play series as well. Anyone can hire her services by contacting G&S (no idea on cost).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
29 Jun 2018 13:38 #276582 by Gary Sax
Geek and Sundry does extremely slick how-to's, etc, that don't feel amateurish. Not my thing, but I get why you'd pay them for a preview.

More
09 Jul 2018 17:57 #277206 by Frohike
An update was posted on the KS. I don't mind seeing this Talismaneque sprawl of expansions being planned... In fact I can't wait to pick them up.

We hit 666 backers & so here we are talking about the next DUNGEON DEGENERATES Kickstarter, or rather, the next four Kickstarters. Here's the idea - we will do four Kickstarters, each covering a new DUNGEON DEGENERATES Expansion Box! The first of the four is the CITY SQUALOR Expansion. Here is Eric's breakdown of the expansion box.

This set explores the settlements of the Borderlands; from the sprawling metropolis of Brüttelburg to the lesser towns, tent-compounds & stilt-hut villages scattered across the remote wilderness. Adding 4 new playable characters from the seedy streets & a hefty new deck of Settlement Encounters to make every trip to town unique & engaging, this set also includes the all-new Plague mechanic pitting your party of degenerate desperadoes against two brand new missions; the Deadly Smell of Disease & the River of Filth. City Squalor will also include new monsters, new loot, new counters, new Doom cards, new skills, new Danger cards & other new things which I can't let out of the bag.

Everything will have new art by me! The MSRP is $40 per box & we will offer our usual Kickstarter discounts. The City Squalor KS will be followed by more expansion Kickstarters, each building up an Expansion Box which will be released around three months from each other, giving DUNGEON DEGENERATES an entire year of new releases coming rapidly one after another! So that's what's next!

The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ChristopherMD

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds