October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Flash Back Friday - Last Night on Earth - Do You Still Play It?

More
29 Jun 2018 10:00 #276563 by ubarose

Love it or hate it? Do you still play it?

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2018 10:25 #276564 by engineer Al
Nope. It was GREAT at first, but I became overwhelmed by the expansions, and underwhelmed by playing the zombies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, allismom3, Frohike

More
29 Jun 2018 10:43 #276565 by el_skootro
It’s been a while. But man that game has a special place in my heart. When it worked, it nailed the theme to a tee. The problem was when it didn’t work it could be a slog. Especially for the zombie master.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, allismom3, Frohike

More
29 Jun 2018 10:55 #276566 by Michael Barnes
I would rather bust out Caylus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, Gary Sax, Josh Look, Frohike

More
29 Jun 2018 10:57 #276567 by hotseatgames
Mine remains on the shelf in a very toad-like position. It's not a great game, with most missions boiling down to searching a deck of cards until you find the one card you need, and playing as the zombies is not very fun.

However, it is the first game I fully painted, and each zombie has unique clothes, which I was proud of back in the day. I don't know what situation would have it hit the table; perhaps one day my kids will ask to play it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike

More
29 Jun 2018 11:10 #276568 by ubarose

hotseatgames wrote: Mine remains on the shelf in a very toad-like position. It's not a great game, with most missions boiling down to searching a deck of cards until you find the one card you need, and playing as the zombies is not very fun.

However, it is the first game I fully painted, and each zombie has unique clothes, which I was proud of back in the day. I don't know what situation would have it hit the table; perhaps one day my kids will ask to play it.

I think it's a really fun game to play with middle school aged kids. And once they get the hang of it, they can take over and play it by themselves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, hotseatgames, Frohike

More
29 Jun 2018 11:12 #276569 by happyjosiah
Still a top 10 game for me and the best zombie game ever made.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Jexik

More
29 Jun 2018 11:15 #276570 by hotseatgames

happyjosiah wrote: Still a top 10 game for me and the best zombie game ever made.

I certainly haven't played them all, but I'd give that award to the Mantic Walking Dead game. Which is even higher praise from me since I hate the Walking Dead.

More
29 Jun 2018 11:25 #276571 by ubarose

happyjosiah wrote: Still a top 10 game for me and the best zombie game ever made.

Do you prefer the original over Timber Peak?

More
29 Jun 2018 11:53 #276573 by ChristopherMD
It's usually about an hour and gets some laughs so I'd be cool playing it still.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
29 Jun 2018 12:31 #276576 by SebastianBludd
Expansion bloat and competition for time by other games are the only reasons I haven't played it lately but it's a good game and I prefer it to Zombicide.

That being said, Last Night on Earth is like a beta version where Timber Peak and the Blood in the Forest expansion are the more refined version of the system. That's even evident in the fact that they cribbed the Upgrade system from TP for LNOE10. The Grave Dead (Growing Hunger) and Grave Weapons expansion at least give the zombie player more to do but I prefer the hero Upgrades and unique "champion" zombies from TP and BitF, respectively. With the the XP system TP encourages the two sides to fight and with the zombie champions the game is a lot more brutal.

I still think LNOE is a worthy game but it's difficult to determine where to draw the line when it comes to playing with expansions since they add much-needed variety and decisions but they're fiddly.

My sons have both seen Dawn of the Dead and this thread is making me want to bust out my copy of Mall Madness to play the custom LNOE scenario that uses the board.

More
29 Jun 2018 13:06 #276577 by ubarose

SebastianBludd wrote:
That being said, Last Night on Earth is like a beta version where Timber Peak and the Blood in the Forest expansion are the more refined version of the system.

I agree.

More
29 Jun 2018 13:13 #276579 by RobertB
Like hotseatgames, that's the first game I completely painted. I'll play it anytime someone wants to. Sometimes it can suck because of funky card draws, and I don't think I'd ever play two-player zombies again. But I still like it.

More
29 Jun 2018 13:35 #276581 by Josh Look
I don’t play it anymore and I couldn’t care less if ever played it again. Pretty sure the two Black Plague Zombicide games are the only zombie games I’ll be playing from here on out.

More
29 Jun 2018 14:39 #276585 by Sagrilarus
My group was really excited about it to start, but we started seeing it as too tedious to play once we had four or five rounds under our belt. There's a Defend the Manor scenario that seemed to work better than all the others and once we were done with that we were done with the game.

It also seemed to produce really lopsided affairs on a regular basis. We often stopped halfway through.

I'm not an expansions guy so I can't speak to any of that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, allismom3

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds