October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Flash Back Friday - Last Night on Earth - Do You Still Play It?

More
29 Jun 2018 16:23 #276599 by Egg Shen
It's still an enjoyable experience. LNoE is more akin to a Mass Market game from the 1980s than anything that worships at the pulpit of serious modern game design. It plays best with drinks and friends who aren't hip to terms like "Euro" or "Ameritrash". Great way to spend a Friday night while eating pizza and drinking beer. Kudos to Flying Frog for keeping this relic in print and still actively supported (I believe an expansion came out last year).
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman, ChristopherMD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2018 16:40 #276601 by Saul Goodman
Loved it at the time. It rarely, if ever, comes out anymore. It’s at bottom of the list for games in my collection I’d break out. I still can’t seem to part ways with it though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman

More
29 Jun 2018 16:49 - 30 Jun 2018 05:05 #276603 by southernman

Egg Shen wrote: It's still an enjoyable experience. LNoE is more akin to a Mass Market game from the 1980s than anything that worships at the pulpit of serious modern game design. It plays best with drinks and friends who aren't hip to terms like "Euro" or "Ameritrash". Great way to spend a Friday night while eating pizza and drinking beer. Kudos to Flying Frog for keeping this relic in print and still actively supported (I believe an expansion came out last year).

My thoughts exactly, it's not made just for us allegedy boardgame connisseurs (snobs). I don't play it that often and although it is a bit limited in comparison to many titles these days it's mainly because I have too many (better) games and limited playing opportunities these days.
I think it's main weakness, accepting what type of game it is, is the Hero deck getting too bloated after adding in the first big expansion - a two edged sword in that we want all the different goodies but the fat deck for a short-to-medium length game can slow or kill a game.
I thought the simple combat system - doubles to kill else push off - and the interaction with many of the weapons was very clever and made it accessible to anyone over the age of six, a real gateway game.
And, of course, it is great fun (and mandatory) for Halloween night sessions.
Last edit: 30 Jun 2018 05:05 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, SebastianBludd, Egg Shen

More
29 Jun 2018 23:38 #276618 by mc
About 5 years ago I found a complete (as far as I know) Timber Peak on the side of the road. It had been chucked out, the lid was off, and there were some pieces lying about the place, but I think I got everything. For context, it was one of those cleanups where everyone puts their old furniture and broken tvs etc out to be collected.

It wasn't something I would ever have bought, but as different people have pointed out above, it suits that beer and pizzas or bunch of kids on a rainy day kind of scenario pretty well. My kids are a bit young to run it themselves but they request it every now and again and it won't be too long before they just bust it out when they want to kill some zombies/eat some brains.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ChristopherMD, SebastianBludd

More
01 Jul 2018 08:28 #276649 by happyjosiah
Timber Peak is better for sure. I use the Timber Peak rules even when playing the original now (which is pretty much what it says to do.)

More
01 Jul 2018 14:44 #276666 by SuperflyPete
For me, it died when Zombicide came out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: schlupp, Jexik

More
01 Jul 2018 14:54 #276667 by drewcula

SuperflyTNT wrote: For me, it died when Zombicide came out.

Wild.

After years of hindsight, and just contrasting the core games - I prefer LNoE to Z'cide

LNoE is more akin to old school Romero films. I'm from the Pittsburgh area. This is important.

Z'cide is more akin to an analog version of Left4Dead. I love Left4Dead (especially the 'film' in the Allegheny forest), but it's probably best on a console.

... That's a hard realization for me to admit to myself. I own way too much Z'cide. OCD Collector BS got the best of me. Time and time again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Jexik, Colorcrayons

More
13 Jul 2018 10:45 #277448 by Pat II
Timber Peak and Blood in the Forest are necessary and still fun. This doesn't come out often anymore but it's still great beer and pizza or kid fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Jexik

More
13 Jul 2018 12:14 - 13 Jul 2018 12:15 #277462 by Jexik
This was one of the first games I got back in 2008 in my post-heroscape haze (Descent was another). I loved it and don't know how many times I taught excited semi-gamers with "ESCAPE IN THE TRUCK." Now that Zombicide and Dead of Winter do the genre better (in different directions), I don't hear people asking for it... even though it's a good touch quicker and probably more fun than either one.

It's sitting in my trunk of my car now and the box has been torn to shreds and a lot of other stuff is damaged. I'm highly contemplating throwing it out. Anyone want it who doesn't care about the box? Base game only. I'll ship.
Last edit: 13 Jul 2018 12:15 by Jexik.

More
14 Jul 2018 05:40 #277530 by WadeMonnig

Jexik wrote: This was one of the first games I got back in 2008 in my post-heroscape haze (Descent was another). I loved it and don't know how many times I taught excited semi-gamers with "ESCAPE IN THE TRUCK." Now that Zombicide and Dead of Winter do the genre better (in different directions), I don't hear people asking for it... even though it's a good touch quicker and probably more fun than either one.

It's sitting in my trunk of my car now and the box has been torn to shreds and a lot of other stuff is damaged. I'm highly contemplating throwing it out. Anyone want it who doesn't care about the box? Base game only. I'll ship.

I'd totally dig getting it, my kids would love it.

More
14 Jul 2018 08:25 #277531 by Jexik

WadeMonnig wrote:

Jexik wrote: This was one of the first games I got back in 2008 in my post-heroscape haze (Descent was another). I loved it and don't know how many times I taught excited semi-gamers with "ESCAPE IN THE TRUCK." Now that Zombicide and Dead of Winter do the genre better (in different directions), I don't hear people asking for it... even though it's a good touch quicker and probably more fun than either one.

I'd totally dig getting it, my kids would love it.

"sold."

PM me shipping address.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds