October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Flashback Friday - Pandemic - Do you still play?

More
05 Jul 2018 17:29 #276977 by ubarose

Love it or hate it? Do you still play it?

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2018 08:35 #276978 by Matt Thrower
Personally, I've soured on it since I wrote my opinion. Back then, co-op games were still a relative rarity and having one with such wide appeal was great.

On repeat plays, I came to dislike the sense of predestination. If the deck shuffle is against you, you're screwed. It doesn't matter how well you play, what decisions you make. It's a game that exists, lost, before you've even taken a turn.

And nowadays it has better competitors. The D&D adventure system games are just as easy to get into and much more fun to play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
06 Jul 2018 08:42 #276979 by san il defanso
Along with Dominion, Pandemic is the game I used to play obsessively that I never want to play again. I have seen everything they have to offer me, even with expansions. They served their purpose and supplied lots of enjoyment. Now I'm done.

Pandemic Legacy was a lot of fun, although the act of playing very elaborate Pandemic did drag it down for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gregarius

More
06 Jul 2018 09:17 #276980 by Shellhead
I played Pandemic once about a decade ago and disliked it. The game mechanics didn't support the theme well, so the whole game felt like arbitrary procedural work. The friends that I was playing with coached each player on their turn, and all fun was murdered.

More
06 Jul 2018 09:23 #276981 by SuperflyPete
We still play it from time to time but nothing like the daily or weekly play we used to. We just broke out the Cthulhu version last week (or the week prior?).

It's pretty much saturation that keeps us from playing it. There's only so many times you can play anything, even a deterministic puzzle game.

More
06 Jul 2018 09:23 #276982 by ChristopherMD
I've never once played Pandemic. I have played Forbidden Island which I'm told is essentially the same game. Forbidden Island I bought on clearance at Barnes & Noble for like $5 and would definitely still play it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, WadeMonnig

More
06 Jul 2018 09:34 #276987 by Sagrilarus
This has been a loaner game for me for a few years now, and I always get very positive reviews when it comes back. I have the first edition which I think is a little prettier.

My most recent loan went to non-gamer-gamers, people that love board games but have never been to a board game store and haven't seen what's available on the Internet. They are blissfully happy in their less-informed state, and my recommendation of Pandemic to them was the kind of discovery that would happen pre-Internet when you learned of such things word-of-mouth. Every discovery is more magical when it's rare knowledge.

They very much enjoyed Pandemic and were really struck by how hard it was. They had played forbidden Desert and Forbidden Island, which are about a 50-50 shot on any particular play. Pandemic is HARD for your first few plays. It sets a higher bar. They kept it for weeks, beat it exactly once.

I still enjoy the game but it doesn't come out much. I think all my buddies are done with it. As co-ops go, it's about the best in the euro end of the genre.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Colorcrayons

More
06 Jul 2018 10:42 #276989 by ubarose
I know several families that play it frequently for exactly the reason that Matt stated in his first review:

It’s possibly the ultimate family game, easy to get into, difficult to beat and free from the acrimony that unfortunately creeps in to competitive gaming even in the most loving families.

We are not one of those families. I played it when it first came out and hated it. Although I do like Defenders of the Realm, and just played that recently. I have Forbidden Island on iOS, which I sometimes play to kill time.

More
06 Jul 2018 10:43 #276990 by Saul Goodman
If I never played another game I'd be perfectly fine with it. I think of Pandemic the same way I think of Dominion: games that are now just mechanics in other games. Pretty rad stuff when it came out but definitely showing it's age.
I still keep my copy around to break out with family or anyone else who casually like to play boardgames.

More
06 Jul 2018 11:29 #277000 by ubarose

Shellhead wrote: The friends that I was playing with coached each player on their turn, and all fun was murdered.

Pandemic has a reputation for one person taking over and bossing every one around each turn. I don't see that person as being bossy. I see them as simply being the first person to state the obvious. In a tactical game, when there is only one optimal choice, you really have no choice; you merely have the illusion of choice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, WadeMonnig

More
06 Jul 2018 11:32 #277002 by SuperflyPete
I think that in that time, the best of the co-op Euros is still Red November.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Colorcrayons

More
06 Jul 2018 11:39 #277004 by Gregarius
I really liked it when it came out, and even though I haven't played it in a long time, I would play it again. Unfortunately, Pandemic Legacy left a bad taste in my mouth. My group really enjoyed playing through that, but I grew to hate it by the end. I think I'm more tired of the whole co-op genre than I am of any particular game in it.

More
06 Jul 2018 12:05 #277014 by Colorcrayons
I still maintain that 'games' of this ilk are puzzles, not games.

Puzzles are solved.
Games are played.

Much like solitaire, this puzzle can be absolutely not solved if the deck is against you.

And the entire enterprise is further ruined by the alpha gamer dictating to everyone else how to solve this puzzle.

Nope. Not a game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
06 Jul 2018 12:08 #277016 by Colorcrayons

ubarose wrote: In a tactical game PUZZLE, when there is only one optimal choice, you really have no choice; you merely have the illusion of choice.

FTFY

More
06 Jul 2018 13:19 - 06 Jul 2018 18:44 #277029 by southernman
I played it once on my tablet and the Cthulhu version once, neither plays sent me off to buy either version. I have enough co-op games to play if we do want to do a co-op that I would play before I'd consider this, but would sit down and play it when at another group.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2018 18:44 by southernman.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds