October 09, 2023
2511 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2710 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Flashback Friday - Talisman - Love it or Hate It? Do you Still Play It?

More
02 Nov 2018 11:31 #285142 by ubarose

Love it or hate it? Do you still play it?

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2018 11:37 #285143 by Legomancer
I played the shit out of Talisman in college and enjoyed it a bunch. I still have my copy, but I haven't played it in ages. I like Talisman, and it will always have a place in my heart, but it's not a game I really want to give time over others these days.

More
02 Nov 2018 13:07 #285148 by Jackwraith
Same. Played my copy of 2nd Ed (everything but Dragons) from the mid-80s to the 00s and loved it, but finally decided I'd had enough, so I sold it to a guy in the UK who made a huge order for me at an online retailer that included Runebound. From that point, I've never looked back, even as GW and then FFG and then GW have reprinted it. If I want an adventure game, I have a lot of options, so Talisman really isn't a consideration anymore.

More
02 Nov 2018 13:32 #285154 by Josh Look
I’ve had a strange journey with Talisman. I’ve had great times with it and I’ve had times that were disasterous and completely unfun for all involved. I have a reputation for hating the game, which was true for a long time.

Yet as I play more bad adventure games, like Runebound 2e, which all copies should be forcefully collected and burned, I find myself respecting Talisman more. I prefer Relic because I like the 40k universe better than generic fantasy and, while less wild and freewheeling, is by far less prone to producing the kinds of games that turned me off to Talisman. I wish any version of the game was shorter. I like silly fun, but I top out around the 1 hour mark.

So there it is. I don’t hate Talisman. I’d rather play Runebound 3E, but I certainly don’t hate it.

More
02 Nov 2018 13:57 #285156 by repoman
Played it last night and had a blast. It's the perfect hang out game. Fun, not too involving, can shoot the breeze while playing a d always has a laugh out loud moment or two.

Al's ghoul killing off my Priest at the Crown of Command with his finger of death just when I thought I had won was priceless
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
02 Nov 2018 14:22 #285157 by Colorcrayons
It's a good app game for mindless grinding.

It's also a good game to play with kids to get them into the adventure type genre.

Outside of that... I dunno. I do think want to slag the game, but I don't find myself seeking it.

More
02 Nov 2018 15:34 #285160 by engineer Al

repoman wrote: Al's ghoul killing off my Priest at the Crown of Command with his finger of death just when I thought I had won was priceless

I AGREE! It was more than that though, the entire game was a blast! You and me and Mike all battling it out in the center ring at the end was just exactly what Talisman is all about, and reminded me why I have so much affection for this game. It's more than just nostalgia for a time when it was a groundbreaking game that me and my buddies lost ourselves in. It's that it is a genuinely FUN experience where winning is part luck and part strategy, but the strategy is not so intense and demanding that it takes you away from the fantasy. As you mentioned it also allows players to have a good time together WHILE playing. I LOVE THIS GAME!

More
02 Nov 2018 15:59 #285165 by Shellhead
I played old school Talisman once. I was pretty neutral on it. Decision-making was pretty much limited to left or right, and everything else was about rolling the dice well.

A couple of years ago, I played Relic. It was probably more or less the same game, but I found it long and unenjoyable. I kept drawing tough encounters and then rolling badly, so I was permanently stuck on the outer edge of play while other players slowly advanced. We called it quits after four hours when it became apparent that only the owner of the game was still having fun.

More
02 Nov 2018 16:04 #285166 by engineer Al

Shellhead wrote: I played old school Talisman once. I was pretty neutral on it. Decision-making was pretty much limited to left or right, and everything else was about rolling the dice well.

I feel that this is only true when you don't know the game well. Knowing all the cards and all of your options opens up more choices.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
02 Nov 2018 19:54 #285173 by mtagge
Played it twice with the kids then gave them my copy. Two boys currently 7 & 9. They love it. Of course they cheat blatantly (together) to increase their fun. And they don't try to win. For them it is more of an activity than a game. And they ripped the dungeon board in half when putting it away improperly :(

Me, if I'm playing with them I'll pull out something else. Runebound, Imperial Assault, Warhammer Quest ACG, etc.

More
02 Nov 2018 21:36 #285175 by san il defanso
Talisman is one of my great gaming loves. For just plain old adventuring, it's exactly what I want from a game. It's long enough to be somewhat epic, but it's simple enough to not make me ask why I'm not playing a D&D one-shot. I have all of the FFG expansions, and there isn't one that I would do without. I love trying different combinations of expansions, I love setting it up and just goofing off around the table, I just love it.

I think one of its secret advantages is that it was created with an eye toward mainstream audiences. People can instantly understand how to play because it does such a good job using common boardgame language in a fun way. It's not a deep game, but I don't need depth with stuff like this. I just want a game that actually feels adventurous, and Talisman does that really well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, engineer Al

More
03 Nov 2018 12:21 #285190 by Michael Barnes
Oh, I love this stupid game but I’m also kind of OK with not playing it anymore. I do think Relic is “better”, but this is the original and it’s still really kind of unique despite its many imitators and descendants.

My favorite Talisman memory remains this game of 2nd editon I played around 1996. It was everything with like 10 players. It was insane. We started at like 2 or 3 and it went almost 12 hours (lots of drinking and goofing off). I think we did like 3 respawns each or something and everyone was playing to be as nasty as possible. My friend Anthony won, at last, and the guy that owned the set gave the entire game to him. I drove Anthony home and he gave me the set because he didn’t want to keep it. I later sold that full set at my shop for like $400 around 2005.

More
03 Nov 2018 12:43 #285192 by Ah_Pook
I love Talisman but it's not a game I need to play very often. It just goes too long to play very often, but when were in the mood for it it's great. My wife has a winning streak going where she turns evil and then becomes super powerful and crushes everybody. Sometimes this involves alien brain parasites.

More
03 Nov 2018 12:44 #285193 by hotseatgames
I have never actually played the actual board game. I have the digital version and pretty much never touch it. I have Relic, which I do enjoy quite a bit, despite its ridiculous play time. If I had the right crowd, I would not hesitate to break out Relic.

More
03 Nov 2018 12:56 #285195 by Ah_Pook
For us a lot of the charm comes from the art in 2e. I don't think we would enjoy it nearly as much with modern FFG fantasy art (yknow, competent and bland) or Warhammer 40k themed or whatever.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds